Mechanics of a ball sliding and rolling

In summary: Since the ball is rolling without slipping, the frictional force provides the torque which causes the angular acceleration. The magnitude of the frictional force is equal to \mu m g , and the radius of rotation is r. Therefore, we can write the following equation for the torque: \mu m g r = I \alphaSolving for alpha and substituting the moment of inertia for a solid sphere, we get: \alpha = \frac{5 \mu g}{2 r}Now, using the kinematic equation for rotational motion, we can relate the angular velocity at the base of the ramp to the angular acceleration and the time taken to reach that velocity: \omega = \alpha tSubstituting the expression for alpha
ASTaiyeb

Homework Statement

A ball of radius r and mass m starts rolling without slipping up a ramp inclined at an angle φ to the horizontal and reaches a maximum height h. Derive an expression for the angular velocity ω that the ball has at the base of the ramp. [Rolling friction may be ignored in this question.]
The ball is initially launched without rotation towards the ramp along a horizontal surface with a constant coefficient of sliding friction μ. The ball slides along the surface, begins to roll and stops slipping before it reaches the ramp. Find an expression for the time ts taken for it to stop sliding in terms of h, g and μ.
By considering the initial velocity v0 and the resistance felt by the ball before it begins to roll, derive an expression relating its initial and final energies in terms of the sliding distance x.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy of purely rolling body =
[tex]
\frac{\omega^2 I}{2}}
[/tex]

MOI of a solid sphere =
[tex]
\frac{2 M r^2}{5}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have solved the first part of the question by equating the inital kinetic energy to the final potential energy:
[tex] \frac{\omega^2}{2} = m g h [/tex]

[tex] \omega^2 = \frac{5 g h}{r^2} [/tex]

The second part is where i am having difficulty. Firstly I assume the force due to friction is [itex] \mu m g [/itex]. From here i have tried two routes, setting up the equation of motion and integrating and using conservation of energy, both of which leave me with the problem of needing to know the initial projected velocity to work out the time.

EOM : [itex] m\ddot{x} = - \mu m g [/itex]
[tex] v - v0 = - \mu g t [/tex]

by energy: [itex] \frac{m v_0^2}{2} = \frac{\omega^2 I}{2} + \mu g s [/itex] where s is the distance traveled and is given by the ball before the ramp and can be worked out by the suvat equations.

I am at a lost about how to approach this, please give me some hint as to which direction i go with it. Thank you for any help. Btw this is my first time posting so i apologize if it isn't set out correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
ASTaiyeb said:
So I have solved the first part of the question by equating the inital kinetic energy to the final potential energy:
[tex] \frac{\omega^2}{2} = m g h [/tex]

[tex] \omega^2 = \frac{5 g h}{r^2} [/tex]
The ball translates as well as rotates.

The second part is where i am having difficulty. Firstly I assume the force due to friction is [itex] \mu m g [/itex]. From here i have tried two routes, setting up the equation of motion and integrating and using conservation of energy, both of which leave me with the problem of needing to know the initial projected velocity to work out the time.
Consider the angular acceleration.

1. What is the difference between sliding and rolling?

Sliding is when an object moves without rotating, while rolling is when an object moves while also rotating.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a rolling ball?

Friction can cause a rolling ball to slow down or stop, as it acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion. Friction also allows the ball to roll instead of slide.

3. What is the relationship between mass and acceleration in rolling motion?

According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of a rolling ball is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier ball will have a slower acceleration than a lighter ball when the same force is applied.

4. How does the shape of a ball affect its rolling motion?

The shape of a ball can affect its rolling motion by changing its moment of inertia. A ball with a larger moment of inertia will be harder to rotate, and therefore, will have a slower rolling motion compared to a ball with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. Can a ball slide and roll at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for a ball to slide and roll at the same time. This can occur when there is a combination of forces acting on the ball, such as a pushing force and a frictional force. The ball will roll due to the pushing force, but also slide due to the frictional force.