Is a (smooth) manifold allowed to have different dimensions in different points.

In summary, the conversation discusses the impossibility of a manifold smoothly transitioning from 1-dimension to 2-dimensions and the potential problems that would arise. It also mentions the concept of invariance of domain and the creation of surfaces from a one parameter family of lines. The resulting surface could have points of self intersection, cusps, and other issues that would prevent it from being a 2-dimensional manifold.
alemsalem
obviously in one coordinate neighborhood it can't..
I'm thinking of a line which smoothly develops into a surface : -----<<

what particular properties would this object have..

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this can't happen: the property of a manifold to be locally n-euclidean around a given point is both open and closed, so if a manifold is locally n-euclidean in a nbhd of a point, then it is locally n-euclidean everywhere in the connected component containing that point.

So a manifold can't morph from 2-d to 1-d. Of course, it can have a connected component of dimension 2 and another of dimension 1.

alemsalem said:

manifolds can have boundaries and corners.

You couldn't have a "line which smoothly develops into a surface".

Suppose for the sake of contradiction such a manifold, M, existed. Then about some point p, there would be a 1 dimensional coordinate chart, and about some point q, a 2 dimensional coordinate chart.

Now, by "smoothly develops into a surface", I assume you mean that the manifold is path-connected. So let g(t) be a curve connecting p and q. i.e., g(0) = p and g(1) = q.

Now, as [0,1] is compact, its image g([0,1]) is compact in M. However, about every point x in the image g([0,1]) there is an open neighborhood U(x) which is homeomorphic to either R^1 or R^2. As the image g([0,1]) is compact, only a finite number of these open sets U(x) suffice to cover g([0,1]).

But then we have reached a contradiction, because in that finite subcollection of open sets, there must be two partially overlapping neighborhoods, one homeomorphic to R^1, the other to R^2. This is a contradiction, because their intersection (or any open set for that matter) cannot possibly be homeomorphic to both R^1 and R^2

Thanks...

I think this would lead you to an invariance of domain problem, i.e., you would end up with a copy of R^n homeomorphic to a copy of R^m for m=/n , on chart overlaps.

alemsalem said:

One can certainly create surfaces from a one parameter family of lines. They would have a straight line through every point. Depending on how this is done, the surface could have points of self intersection, cusps, places where it it not a 2 dimensional manifold.

For instance the straight lines in the direction of a curve in Euclidean 3 space's unit normal might span a surface that fails to be 2 dimensional at some points..

1. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that describes a space that is locally similar to Euclidean space. Essentially, it is a space that can be smoothly and continuously mapped onto Euclidean space.

2. What does it mean for a manifold to have different dimensions in different points?

This means that at different points on the manifold, the space may appear to have different dimensions. For example, at one point the manifold may look like a 2-dimensional plane, but at another point it may look like a 3-dimensional space.

3. Is a smooth manifold allowed to have different dimensions in different points?

Yes, a smooth manifold is allowed to have different dimensions in different points. In fact, this is a common occurrence in many mathematical models and is a key aspect of understanding and studying manifolds.

4. How does this concept relate to real-world phenomena?

Manifolds are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science, to model and understand real-world phenomena. For example, they can be used to describe the shape of the Earth's surface, the flow of fluids, or the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any practical implications of a manifold having different dimensions in different points?

Yes, the concept of different dimensions in different points can have practical implications in various fields. For instance, in physics, it can help us understand the curvature of space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity. In computer science, it can be used to develop algorithms for data analysis and machine learning. In engineering, it can aid in the design of complex systems and structures.