Why isn't light induced by an antenna

In summary, light does not have any effect on the oscillations of the electrons in an antenna and would not cause any disturbances.
thunkit
I am sorry please delete this post if it has been already asked

Light is an electromagnetic wave right?

i haven't have ever heard of light distorting or causing disturbances in antenna signal,why is it so isn't it also an electromagnetic wave?

Science news on Phys.org
antennae are made to function at a specific wavelength (or frequency) of electromagnetic radiation, in the radio spectrum of EM radiation we're dealing with a wavelength between 1 millimeter to even hundreds of millimeters. The signal is propogated through the antenna by the oscillations of electrons at the corresponding frequency/phase/amplitude etc.

Light doesn't have any effect because it's effect would be tiny in comparison with what radio waves oscillate at. Light has a wavelength between 400-700nm give or take. Corresponding frequency range is just under 10^15 Hz.

The frequency range for radio waves is between 50MHz to 1000MHz (~10^8 to 10^9Hz). On the order of 7 orders of magnitude difference.

Light might have an effect on the oscillations of the electrons, but in the grand scheme of things it's miniscule in comparison to the effect radio waves will have.

thunkit said:
i haven't have ever heard of light distorting or causing disturbances in antenna signal

Try to design an antenna whose resonant frequency is evenly remotely close to the frequency of light, namely a few hundred terahertz. :smile:

(WiFi antennas are merely a few gigahertz. You need to go about 100,000 times higher...)

That depends upon what sort of antenna you had in mind. All parabolic antennas are excellent solar reflectors. For that reason the larger ones for satellite communication are usually painted with flat (non gloss) paint, and care is taken at the times of year when the sun happens to cross the geostationary arc and enters the look angle of the antenna. The subreflectors that are at the beam focus are usually made of fiberglass to resist the heat from the focused sunlight. A flashlight uses a parabolic reflector to focus the light and can be thought of as a “light antenna”.

thanks alot,i didnt know about that
i jus thought i never heard any disturbance in a radio or something when light is focussed on its antennas,lol

thunkit said:
thanks alot,i didnt know about that
i jus thought i never heard any disturbance in a radio or something when light is focussed on its antennas,lol

The previous posts explained why that does not happen; the antenna is electrically too long for it to have resonance with the very short wavelength of light.
The parabolic dish antenna will reflect the light waves quite efficiently and it can pose a real problem for the satellite Earth stations at certain times of year (during the spring and fall equinoxes). During those times the received signal is disturbed, and can be completely washed out by the solar interference.

Here is a link that has a bit more information about that:
http://engineering.learfield.com/sun-outages/

1. Why does light need to be induced by an antenna?

The process of light being induced by an antenna is known as electromagnetic induction. This is necessary because antennas are designed to receive and transmit electromagnetic waves, which are a form of light. Without induction, the light would not be able to travel through the antenna and be used for communication or other purposes.

2. What factors determine the efficiency of light induction by an antenna?

The efficiency of light induction by an antenna depends on several factors, including the material and shape of the antenna, the frequency of the light being induced, and the distance between the antenna and the light source. Additionally, the electrical properties of the antenna and the surrounding environment can also affect the efficiency of induction.

3. Can any type of light be induced by an antenna?

In theory, any type of light that falls within the electromagnetic spectrum can be induced by an antenna. However, the efficiency of induction may vary depending on the specific frequency and properties of the light. For example, antennas are commonly used to induce radio waves, but may not be as efficient for inducing higher frequency light such as visible light.

4. How does the size of an antenna affect light induction?

The size of an antenna plays a crucial role in light induction. Generally, larger antennas are more efficient at inducing light because they have a larger surface area to capture and transmit electromagnetic waves. However, the size of the antenna must also be proportional to the wavelength of the light being induced in order to achieve maximum efficiency.

5. Can light be induced by an antenna in a vacuum?

Yes, light can be induced by an antenna in a vacuum. In fact, radio waves and other forms of electromagnetic radiation can travel through a vacuum without the need for a physical medium. This is why antennas are commonly used for communication in space and other environments where a physical medium is not present.