How do i differentiate something like 12/(x^+3)?2

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating an equation and specifically addresses the equation 12/(x^2+3). The concept of the chain rule is brought up and the equation is rewritten in order to better understand the derivative. The conversation ends with an explanation of how to use the chain rule to find the full derivative.
mutineer
How do i differentiate something like 12/(x^+3)??2

I am acquainted with differentiating equations like (2x+5)^2 ( by chain rule and the direct method). But how do i go about with the equation 12/(x^2+3)? The specific doubt is that the answer given -12(x^2+3)^-2 into(multiplied by) 2x. I am getting the answer, but its not multiplied by 2x, so i get -12(x^2+3)^-2. I don't know why

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you know about the chain rule ? What does it say ?

the chain rule is a formula for computing the derivative of the composition of two or more functions. But i don't want the chain rule method(if there is one in this case) for getting the answer, i want the direct method, or is chain rule the only way of doing it?

hi mutineer -

not sure what you mean by "direct method", but consider re-writing the expression as:

[itex]f(x) = \frac{12}{(x^2 + 3)} = 12\cdot (x^2 + 3)^{-1}[/itex]

If you define the denominator [itex] (x^2 + 3) := g(x)[/itex], then f(x) becomes:

[itex] f(x) = 12\cdot \frac{1}{g(x)} = 12*\cdot g(x)^{-1}[/itex]

(I wrote this both as a fraction and using negative exponents to avoid confusion with the inverse f'n).

In your "direct method", you've computed the first part of the chain rule, i.e. you've found:

[itex] = \frac{d}{dx}f(x) = 12 \cdot \frac{d}{dx}g(x)^{-1} = 12 \cdot (-1)\cdot g(x)^{-2}[/itex]

But that /isn't/ the full derivative. Recall the chain rule requires you to multiply by the inside derivative as well. Here, the inside derivative would be g'(x) (the derivative of g(x) w.r.t. x; which I'll leave to you to sort out).

Hope this helps!

1. How do I differentiate a term with a variable in the denominator?

When differentiating a term with a variable in the denominator, we use the Quotient Rule, which states that the derivative of a fraction is equal to the denominator multiplied by the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator multiplied by the derivative of the denominator, all over the square of the denominator. In this case, the derivative of 12/(x^2+3) would be (12)(2x) - (x^2+3)(0)/(x^2+3)^2 = (24x)/(x^2+3)^2.

2. Can I simplify the expression before differentiating?

Yes, it is always helpful to simplify the expression before differentiating. In this case, we can simplify 12/(x^2+3) to 4/(x+3), which will make the differentiation process easier.

3. What is the power rule for differentiation?

The power rule for differentiation states that the derivative of x^n is equal to n*x^(n-1). In this case, the derivative of x^2 would be 2x.

4. Can I use the product rule for differentiation in this case?

No, the product rule is used for differentiating terms that are multiplied together. In this case, we have a fraction, so we need to use the Quotient Rule.

5. How do I know if I have correctly differentiated the expression?

You can check if you have correctly differentiated the expression by substituting a value for x and comparing the result to the original expression. If they are equal, then you have correctly differentiated the expression.