Differences that distinguish a theory from an opinion.

• Thread starter phasl001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary: However, the conversation continues with additional comments and explanations. In summary, the difference between a theory and an opinion is that a theory is based on research and evidence, while an opinion does not require any evidence and can be held regardless of contradicting evidence. A theory also goes through rigorous testing and revision, while an opinion remains unchanged.
phasl001
A good conversation starter!

Differences that distinguish a theory from an opinion. In a nutshell, a theory is a scientific opinion, imo. The only difference is a theory is researched and an opinion is not. Both are unproven and are, in other words, suppositions. Yes, a theory has facts (part of the research) to "help" justify the opinion but it does not prove it true and therefor it remains a theory.

Any takes? please feel free to comment.

-Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
So in other words, a theory is nothing at all like an opinion?

Doesn't feel right. If I say 'I have a theory X,' than that doesn't make it my opinion necessarily. It may just be an hypothesis.

Opinions are like theories. Everybody has one.

MarcoD said:
Doesn't feel right. If I say 'I have a theory X,' than that doesn't make it my opinion necessarily. It may just be an hypothesis.
Oy, no. A theory and an hypothesis are different things.

An opinion doesn't require evidence. I can have an opinion of something with no evidence whatsoever. My opinion may turn out to be completely wrong and all evidence can contradict it, but it can still be my opinion.

A theory, on the other hand, is pretty far along in the heirarchy of scientific inquiry. It cannot be a theory until it has survived a LOT of attempts to disprove it.

Even the lowly hypothesis, which is sort of the developmental stage of the theory (it's what you're going to keep revising based on incoming data until you can't find anything else wrong with it to revise, at which time you bash it around some more, and might make it a theory if you can't disprove it despite myriad efforts to do so) requires some observation to support it.

An opinion requires no evidence or observations whatsoever. For the sake of argument, I could hold the opinion that you're just the most horribly rude and selfish person ever. You could try to disprove me by telling me about all the homeless animals you've adopted, the organs you've donated to critically ill children, the trips you've taken to third world nations to provide medical care to the needy, and I can STILL hold the opinion you're horribly rude and selfish in spite of all evidence to the contrary. On the other hand, using scientific method, if that were my initial hypothesis (maybe you stepped on my toe and didn't apologize, and that was my observational basis for the hypothesis), after being presented with evidence to the contrary, I would need to revise my hypothesis that you were only rude when you stepped on people's toes. Upon further testing, I might find that more often than not, you did apologize if you stepped on someone's toes, and would need to revise further that you were only rude if you stepped on MY toes. And if you further proceeded to apologize every time after that when you stepped on my toes, I might have to concede that statistically, it was random chance that you didn't apologize that one time, and the bulk of evidence doesn't support my hypothesis at all. But I could still stick to my opinion if I wanted, even if my opinion was totally unsupported and wrong.

Moonbear's explanation is accurate and a good place to stop.

What is a theory and how is it different from an opinion?

A theory is a well-tested explanation for a phenomenon that is supported by evidence and can be used to make predictions. It is based on scientific methods and can be modified or disproven with new evidence. An opinion, on the other hand, is a personal belief or judgment that may or may not be supported by evidence and is often influenced by personal experiences or biases.

What is the role of evidence in a theory and an opinion?

Evidence plays a crucial role in a theory as it supports and validates the explanation being proposed. The evidence is collected through experiments, observations, and data analysis, and is used to make predictions and test the theory. In contrast, evidence may not play a significant role in an opinion as it is often based on personal beliefs or preferences rather than objective evidence.

How are theories and opinions formed?

Theories are formed through a rigorous process of research, experimentation, and analysis. Scientists use the scientific method to develop theories that can be tested and refined over time. Opinions, on the other hand, are formed based on personal experiences, values, and beliefs. They may not be supported by evidence and are often influenced by emotions and biases.

Can a theory and an opinion coexist?

Yes, a theory and an opinion can coexist, but they serve different purposes. Theories are based on evidence and are used to explain and predict phenomena. Opinions, on the other hand, are subjective and can coexist with a theory but do not have the same weight as scientific evidence.

How can one distinguish between a theory and an opinion?

The main difference between a theory and an opinion is that a theory is supported by evidence and can be tested and refined, while an opinion is based on personal beliefs and may not be supported by evidence. Additionally, a theory is objective and can be accepted or rejected based on evidence, while an opinion is subjective and can vary from person to person.