Disabling the language filter in PMs

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter CaptFirePanda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the language filter for private messages and whether or not it could be disabled. Some people joked about the differences in British and American English, specifically the spellings of words like "color" and "armor". The use of the word "spelt" in place of "spelled" also sparked a discussion. Overall, it was determined that the language filter is a global setting and cannot be changed.
CaptFirePanda
Is there any way to disable the language filter for private messages? I realize that posting certain words to the general public should not be allowed, but in private messages this would seem to be something of personal preference.

No clue if vBulletin actually supports this or not, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a language filter?

Yes, it takes out all of the u's people might insert into words like "color", "armor", etc...

"Color and armor aren't words, silly.

megin said:

Don't you mean ain't words? :wink:

I speak English proper like.

I wish we had an automatic text-speak filter. :smile:

jtbell said:

ikr?

jtbell said:
I wish we had an automatic crackpot filter...

I only come for the crackpots.

megin said:

So you're saying if they are not spelled "colour" or "armour", they are not words? Well, that's true for British English. I take it that you think American English is not legitimate. We say "estrogen" you and say "oestrogen".

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm saying.

SW VandeCarr said:
So you're saying if they are not spelled "colour" or "armour", they are not words? Well, that's true for British English. I take it you think American English is not legitimate. We say estrogen you and say oestrogen.
Clearly he was making a joke SW.

Glad someone can pick up on humoUr.

You say "about", I say "aboot".

Let's continue our jokes privately. That way you can curse and I won't get taken so literally.

Me fail English? That's unpossible!

SW VandeCarr said:
So you're saying if they are not spelled "colour" or "armour", they are not words? Well, that's true for British English. I take it that you think American English is not legitimate. We say "estrogen" you and say "oestrogen".
That would be "spelt" not spelled. :tongue2:

Evo said:
That would be "spelt" not spelled. :tongue2:
I had some spelt once. Blegh.

Sounds like a cartoon name don't it?

Hey it's the Spelt and Flax Show! They're so zany!

SW VandeCarr said:
Weird. I don't think I've ever seen the word "spelt" before. Of course, it doesn't freak me out as much as the spelling "gaol", which I first saw a few years ago. I had a hard time believing it.

What's up with those graphs on that web page? The frequency of the word "spelled" is about 0.0005%, i.e. 1 in 200 000. I doubt that you have to read 200000 books to find the word "spelled" once, so what do they mean? That if you check all the words in all the books, 1 out of every 200000 words is "spelled"? That seems like a really bad way of measuring what spelling is more popular, because the word isn't going to be spelled both ways in the same book. Seems like it would make more sense to count the number of authors that use "spelled" and compare it to the number who use "spelt".

Fredrik said:
Weird. I don't think I've ever seen the word "spelt" before. Of course, it doesn't freak me out as much as the spelling "gaol", which I first saw a few years ago. I had a hard time believing it.

The spelling of gaol is fine. It's when I found out that I was pronouncing it all wrong that I got really freaked out.

Fredrik said:
Weird. I don't think I've ever seen the word "spelt" before.
I see it used here all of the time by British and Australian members.

Fredrik said:
Of course, it doesn't freak me out as much as the spelling "gaol", which I first saw a few years ago. I had a hard time believing it.

I wonder how many years the stonemason who mis-spelt this spent inside his own spelling mistake... http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/349944

Not photoshopped - it's a well known local "landmark".

1. What is a language filter in PMs?

A language filter in PMs stands for a feature that automatically detects and blocks swear words, offensive language, or inappropriate content in private messages.

2. Why would someone want to disable the language filter in PMs?

Some people may find the language filter to be too strict or restrictive, and they may prefer to have more control over the content they see in their private messages.

3. How can I disable the language filter in PMs?

The process of disabling the language filter in PMs may vary depending on the platform or messaging service you are using. Usually, there is a settings or preferences section where you can toggle the filter on or off.

4. Are there any risks to disabling the language filter in PMs?

Disabling the language filter may expose you to potentially offensive or harmful content. It is important to consider the potential risks before making the decision to disable the filter.

5. Can I customize the language filter in PMs?

Some messaging services may allow you to customize the language filter by adding or removing specific words or phrases. However, this feature may not be available on all platforms.