Solving for Particle Trajectory in Central Potential with Initial Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle of mass m under a central potential of the form U(r)=-\frac{\alpha }{r^2}, with initial conditions and known energy and angular momentum. The Lagrangian is derived and used to find the Euler-Lagrange equation for r, which is solved using a substitution. However, further progress is hindered by not using the fact that \dot r <0 and E=0.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is under a central potential of the form [itex]U(r)=-\frac{\alpha }{r^2}[/itex] where alpha is a positive constant.
At time t=0, the spherical coordinates of the particle are worth [itex]r=r_0[/itex], [itex]\theta = \pi /2[/itex] and [itex]\phi=0[/itex]. The corresponding time derivatives are given by [itex]\dot r <0[/itex], [itex]\dot \theta =0[/itex] and [itex]\dot \phi \neq 0[/itex].
The total energy is 0 and the modulus of the angular momentum is worth [itex]\sqrt {m \alpha }[/itex].
1)Write down the Lagrangian of the particule.
2)Find [itex]r(t)[/itex] and [itex]\dot r (t)[/itex] expressed in terms of m, alpha and [itex]r_0[/itex].
3)Same as in 2) but with phi(t) and [itex]\dot \phi (t)[/itex] and find the trajectory [itex]r(\phi )[/itex].
4)Calculate the time in which the particle reach the origin of the coordinate system. How many orbits does it describes before reaching it?

Homework Equations

L=T-V.
E=T+V.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made a sketch. Since theta is constant and [itex]\theta =\pi/2[/itex], the motion is constrained into the xy plane. Therefore the angular momentum is with respect to [itex]\phi[/itex], namely it is worth [itex]P_\phi = \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot \phi}[/itex] where L is the Lagrangian.
In spherical coordinates, [itex]T=\frac{m}{2}(\dot r^2+r^2 \dot \theta ^2 \sin \phi + r^2\dot \phi ^2)[/itex]. But here [itex]\dot \theta =0[/itex]. So that [itex]p_ \phi =mr^2 \dot \phi[/itex]. I am told that [itex]|r^2 \dot \phi |=\sqrt {\frac{\alpha }{m}}[/itex].
1)So that the Lagrangian reduces to [itex]L=\frac{m}{2}(\dot r ^2 + \sqrt {\frac{\alpha }{m}} \dot \phi )+\frac{\alpha }{r^2}[/itex].
I still didn't use the fact that the total energy vanishes...
2)Euler-Lagrange equation for r gives me [itex]\ddot r +\frac{\alpha }{m r^3}=0[/itex]. I don't know how to solve this DE. Since [itex]\dot r[/itex] does not appear I think the substitution [itex]v=\dot r[/itex] should work, but I don't reach anything with it.
So I'm basically stuck here and I'm wondering whether I'm over complicating stuff because I'm not using the fact that [itex]\dot r <0[/itex] and [itex]E=0[/itex].
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I don't know how to solve this DE.

Multiply both sides with [itex] \dot{r} [/itex] and integrate wrt t to get a first order equation.

1) What is a central potential problem?

A central potential problem is a type of physical problem in which the force acting on an object depends only on the distance from a fixed point, also known as the center. Examples of central potential problems include the motion of planets around the sun, and the motion of electrons around the nucleus of an atom.

2) How do you solve a central potential problem?

The solution to a central potential problem involves applying the laws of motion and conservation of energy to determine the trajectory of the object. In many cases, this can be solved using mathematical techniques such as differential equations and calculus.

3) What is the difference between a central potential problem and a non-central potential problem?

In a central potential problem, the force acting on an object is always directed towards the center, whereas in a non-central potential problem, the force can vary in direction. This makes the solution to a central potential problem simpler, as it only requires solving for one coordinate instead of multiple coordinates.

4) What are some real-life applications of central potential problems?

Central potential problems have many practical applications, including predicting the motion of objects in space, designing satellite orbits, and understanding the behavior of atomic and molecular systems. They are also used in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and chemistry.

5) Can central potential problems be solved analytically or only numerically?

Central potential problems can be solved both analytically and numerically. In some cases, the solution can be found using mathematical formulas and techniques, while in other cases, numerical methods such as computer simulations may be necessary. The complexity of the problem and the level of accuracy required will determine the most appropriate approach.