Hydrogen fuel cel, will it work?

In summary, my brother had a insight into making hydrogen fuel cells and began a business with it. However, so far all attempts to make a reasonably priced product have failed. This is due to technological/chemical/physical problems encountered. If you are making electricity to electrolyze water, what are the next steps - electrolyzing water and making electricity from the hydrogen - for? Each additional step means losses.
AdeP
Hi,
my brother had a insight of making hydrogen fuel cells and begin a business with it.
Would that even work ? I am having my doubts.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is so vague it is impossible to answer. Yes, making hydrogen fuel cells can make business sense, but your brother is not the first to think about it. So far all attempts to make a reasonably priced product failed, and not because of the lack of will or funding to design them, but because of technological/chemical/physical problems encountered.

Borek said:
This is so vague it is impossible to answer. Yes, making hydrogen fuel cells can make business sense, but your brother is not the first to think about it. So far all attempts to make a reasonably priced product failed, and not because of the lack of will or funding to design them, but because of technological/chemical/physical problems encountered.

Basically, we have to invent or come up with something that can solve the technological/chemical/physical problem.

AdeP said:
Basically, we have to invent or come up with something that can solve the technological/chemical/physical problem.

Exactly.

Try to google commercially available hydrogen cells - there are already some present on the market, but the technology behind is either patented or secret and the pricing is far from being really competitive. It is slowly changing, but we are still not there yet when it comes to fuel cell technology, regardless of whether it is hydrogen, methanol, ethanol or anything else.

It would be enough to find a way to economically produce hydrogen. Do that first and everything else will be easy.

We were now thinking of buying a windmill.
With the windmill we could electrolyte water to make hydrogen and with the hydrogen we could power a power generator.
Now my brother is a big thinker, and i am having my doubts about this.

If you are making electricity to electrolyze water, what are the next steps - electrolyzing water and making electricity from the hydrogen - for? Each additional step means losses, you already had the electricity at the very beginning.

Well, the plan is like this.
He thinks that you need a low electricity source to electrolyze water and than he wants to use the hydrogen to let a engine run on it to make much more electricity.

It won't work this way. Tell your brother to learn about energy conservation and efficiency. You can't make in the final step more energy than you put initially into the system, ever. You will always get less.

1. What is a hydrogen fuel cell?

A hydrogen fuel cell is a device that converts chemical energy from the reaction between hydrogen and oxygen into electrical energy. This reaction produces only water and heat as byproducts, making it a clean and efficient source of energy.

2. How does a hydrogen fuel cell work?

A hydrogen fuel cell contains two electrodes - an anode and a cathode - separated by an electrolyte. Hydrogen is fed into the anode, where it is split into protons and electrons. The protons pass through the electrolyte to the cathode, while the electrons are forced to flow through an external circuit, creating an electrical current. At the cathode, the protons, electrons, and oxygen combine to form water and heat.

3. What are the advantages of using hydrogen fuel cells?

Hydrogen fuel cells have several advantages over traditional fossil fuels. They emit no pollutants, as the only byproducts are water and heat. They are also more energy-efficient, as they convert chemical energy directly into electricity without the need for combustion. Additionally, hydrogen is a renewable resource that can be produced through various methods, such as electrolysis of water.

4. Are there any limitations to using hydrogen fuel cells?

One limitation of hydrogen fuel cells is the high cost of producing and storing hydrogen. It also requires a significant infrastructure to transport and distribute hydrogen to fueling stations. The technology is also still in its early stages and requires further development to become more widespread and affordable.

5. Can hydrogen fuel cells be used in all types of vehicles?

Hydrogen fuel cells can be used in a variety of vehicles, including cars, buses, trucks, and even trains. However, they are most suitable for vehicles that require long ranges and frequent refueling, as it takes longer to refuel a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle compared to a traditional gasoline or diesel vehicle. As technology advances and infrastructure improves, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are expected to become more common.