Using images off the web for a report?

In summary, when using images from the web in a report, it is important to cite the source and follow proper citation guidelines. Some schools may allow this as long as it is cited, but it is generally frowned upon. It is recommended to draw the image yourself if possible.
gravenewworld
What's the general rule of thumb for plucking an image off the web and using it in your report? Is this allowed as long as you cite the webpage or do you have to have very explicit permission from the website owner? I don't know what's right and wrong here since I just want to use an image for an academic paper. That isn't even going to be published.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't do it. You'll never get a good night's sleep ever again.

Do it or draw it yourself if you have the time?

You should cite it if you use it. Using images from websites is sometimes frowned on.

chemisttree said:
Don't do it. You'll never get a good night's sleep ever again.

I had to chuckle at this:tongue:

Most schools would allow you to do so if you cite it in your references or cite the source using standardized format as an image caption (as in directly below the image).

Here is a link to how to do proper bibliography:

www. sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/ project_mla_format_examples. shtml

1. Can I use any image I find on the internet for my report?

No, you cannot use any image you find on the internet for your report. Many images are protected by copyright laws and using them without permission may result in legal consequences.

2. How can I determine if an image is free to use?

You can determine if an image is free to use by checking the image's license or usage rights. Some websites, such as Creative Commons, offer images with specific usage rights that allow for free use with proper attribution.

3. Can I use images from social media for my report?

If the images are not your own, it is best to avoid using them in your report without permission. Social media images may also be protected by copyright laws and using them without permission can result in legal consequences.

4. Do I need to cite the source of the images in my report?

Yes, it is important to cite the source of the images in your report. This not only gives credit to the creator of the image, but also helps to avoid any issues with plagiarism.

5. Is it better to use original images or ones found on the internet for my report?

It is always better to use original images for your report, as it shows your own work and creativity. However, if using images found on the internet, be sure to properly cite the source and ensure that they are free to use with permission.