How to compute the determinant of this matrix?

In summary, the determinant of the given matrix $$A$$ is $$n+1$$. This can be computed using the Taylor series expansion of the determinant, as well as the well-known series expansions for logarithms and exponentials. Another method is to factorize $$A$$ into $$LU$$, where $$L$$ is a unit lower triangular matrix and $$U$$ is an upper triangular matrix, and then finding the product of the diagonals of $$U$$.
Charles49
Let $$A$$ be the $$n\times n$$ matrix:
\begin{equation}
A= \begin{bmatrix} % or pmatrix or bmatrix or Bmatrix or ...
2 & 1&\dots & 1 & 1 \\
1 & 2&\dots & 1 & 1 \\
\vdots&\ddots & \ddots & 2 & 1 \\
1 & & \dots & 1&2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation}
(2s along the diagonal and 1s everywhere else.) Compute the determinant of $$A$$.

Here is what I did.

As usual, let $$I$$ be the identity matrix. Observe that $$A=I+B$$ where $$B$$ is a square matrix such that every element is 1. Next we can use the Taylor series expansion of the determinant
\begin{align} \det(I + B) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} \left( - \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^j}{j}\mathrm{tr}(B^j) \right) ^k.\end{align}
Note that $$\mathrm{tr}\left(B^j\right)$$ is always $$n^j$$, and so it follows that
\begin{align} \det(A)& = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} \left( - \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^j}{j}n^j \right) ^k\, , \end{align}
The well known series expansions
\begin{equation}
-\sum _{j=1}^{\infty }{\frac { \left( -1 \right) ^{j}}{j}}{n}^{j}=\log(n+1)
\end{equation}
and
\begin{equation}
\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{f(n)^k}{k!}=\exp{f(n)}
\end{equation}

allow us to conclude that the determinant is $$n+1.$$

I was wondering if there was a simpler way to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles49 said:
Let $$A$$ be the $$n\times n$$ matrix:
\begin{equation}
A= \begin{bmatrix} % or pmatrix or bmatrix or Bmatrix or ...
2 & 1&\dots & 1 & 1 \\
1 & 2&\dots & 1 & 1 \\
\vdots&\ddots & \ddots & 2 & 1 \\
1 & & \dots & 1&2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation}
(2s along the diagonal and 1s everywhere else.) Compute the determinant of $$A$$.

Here is what I did.

As usual, let $$I$$ be the identity matrix. Observe that $$A=I+B$$ where $$B$$ is a square matrix such that every element is 1. Next we can use the Taylor series expansion of the determinant
\begin{align} \det(I + B) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} \left( - \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^j}{j}\mathrm{tr}(B^j) \right) ^k.\end{align}
Note that $$\mathrm{tr}\left(B^j\right)$$ is always $$n^j$$, and so it follows that
\begin{align} \det(A)& = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} \left( - \sum_{j=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^j}{j}n^j \right) ^k\, , \end{align}
The well known series expansions
\begin{equation}
-\sum _{j=1}^{\infty }{\frac { \left( -1 \right) ^{j}}{j}}{n}^{j}=\log(n+1)
\end{equation}
and
\begin{equation}
\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{f(n)^k}{k!}=\exp{f(n)}
\end{equation}

allow us to conclude that the determinant is $$n+1.$$

I was wondering if there was a simpler way to do this problem.

1) It's easy to see, inductively, that
[tex]\begin{equation}\left|\begin{pmatrix} 1&1&1&...&1\\1&2&1&...&1\\...&...&...&...&...\\1&1&1&...&2\end{pmatrix}\right|\end{equation}=1[/tex]Say, substract first row from second, develop by minors of the new 2nd row, etc.

So substracting the third row from the 2nd one in the original matrix, we get:

[tex]\begin{equation}\left|\begin{matrix} 2&1&1&...&1\\1&2&1&...&1\\0&\!\!\!-1&1&...&0\\...&...&...&...&...\\1&1&1&...&2 \end{matrix}\right|\end{equation}[/tex]
Developing wrt the third row, using the above fact and induction we get what we want.

DonAntonio

Thanks DonAntonio

Another way is to factorize A = LU where L is unit lower triangular and U is upper triangular. Use Crout's verison of Gaussian elimination.

The diagonals of U are 2, 3/2, 4/3, 5/4, ... (n+1)/n. The determinant is the product of the diagonals = n+1

Thanks AlephZero, I am going to learn about Crouts version.

1. What is a determinant and why is it important?

A determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated for a square matrix. It is important because it provides useful information about the matrix, such as whether it has an inverse and the volume or area it represents.

2. How do I compute the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?

To compute the determinant of a 2x2 matrix, you can use the following formula: (a x d) - (b x c), where a, b, c, and d are the elements of the matrix. This can also be visualized with the "criss-cross" method where you multiply the elements on the diagonals and subtract the product of the other two elements.

3. What is the difference between finding the determinant of a matrix using row operations or column operations?

When finding the determinant of a matrix using row operations, you are essentially performing elementary row operations to simplify the matrix into a triangular form and then calculating the determinant based on the values on the diagonal. When using column operations, you are essentially performing elementary column operations to simplify the matrix and then calculating the determinant based on the values on the row.

4. Can I use a calculator to compute the determinant of a matrix?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a function to compute the determinant of a matrix. However, it is important to understand the concept and steps involved in computing the determinant by hand in order to fully grasp the concept.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for computing the determinant of a large matrix?

Yes, there are various shortcuts and tricks that can be used to compute the determinant of a large matrix, such as using properties of determinants, expanding the matrix by its rows or columns, or using Cramer's rule. It is important to familiarize yourself with these techniques and choose the most efficient method based on the given matrix.