Is There a 100 Solar Mass Black Hole in Orion Nebula?

In summary: The gap between the largest neutron stars and smallest black holes is puzzling. It is possible that processes favor the formation of neutron stars with mass ejection through jets up to the lower black hole mass range.
PAllen
Science Advisor
This paper proposes a 100 solar mass black hole in nearby Orion Nebula:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.2114

Exciting if true. I have no particular comments, just thought it should be noted here.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wouldn't that be the other way around? We've found lots of huge ones, I'm curious what the smallest we've found is.

Previously, what were hypothesized were huge, galactic center BH (many thousands to billions of solar masses), and stellar black holes (say 3 to 30 solar masses). This represents a new and unexpected size, as well as being close (relatively). [I mistakenly assumed this back ground would be well known here.]

Well, I did actually know about the large ones, and I remember some buzz about midrange holes being proposed for certain unusual xray sources, but yeah the main thing that is interesting here is how close it is, right around the corner, galactically speaking.

Max™ said:
Well, I did actually know about the large ones, and I remember some buzz about midrange holes being proposed for certain unusual xray sources, but yeah the main thing that is interesting here is how close it is, right around the corner, galactically speaking.

x-ray sources are presumed stellar mass BH, e.g. from remnant of supernova. This one, bigger than stellar, not associated with galactic nucleus, is wholly unexpected, so far as I know.

I believe that intermediate size black holes are also interesting because we don't have a good idea as to how they are formed

As I can remember, we have only one example of an intermediate one. Low mass and smbh-s are quite abundant.

Actually, small black holes [< 5 solar mass] are quite scarce [as in almost nonexistent]. I find the apparent mass gap between the largest neutron stars and smallest black holes to be very curious.

Chronos said:
Actually, small black holes [< 5 solar mass] are quite scarce [as in almost nonexistent]. I find the apparent mass gap between the largest neutron stars and smallest black holes to be very curious.

would that be because it's difficult to detect stellar mass black holes, and so we don't have a lot of examples of them?

It appears possible solar mass black holes do not directly result from the collapse of massive stars. We have already seen examples of 20+ solar mass stars collapsing to form neutron stars. It may be they require more exotic [and rare] events like neutron star mergers.

oh wow really? I thought it was well accepted that massive stars above around 8 solar masses end up going supernova and forming black holes.

SHISHKABOB said:
would that be because it's difficult to detect stellar mass black holes, and so we don't have a lot of examples of them?
Exactly. There are only 20 to 30 or so objects that are deemed to be strong candidates for stellar mass black holes. It's a small list.

SHISHKABOB said:
oh wow really? I thought it was well accepted that massive stars above around 8 solar masses end up going supernova and forming black holes.
It is well accepted that stars above about [strike]8[/strike] 10 or so solar masses end up going supernova. Stars between 0.5 solar masses and 10 solar masses end up as white dwarfs. It's only the massive stars that die a spectacular death. The result of that death can be a neutron star plus a bunch of ejecta, a black hole plus a bunch of ejecta, just a bunch of ejecta, or just a black hole and hardly any ejecta. Stars between 10 to 25 solar masses do go supernova, but the supernova ends up ejecting almost everything. The small core that is left is too small to undergo a complete gravitational collapse. It instead becomes a neutron star.

Max™ said:
Wouldn't that be the other way around? We've found lots of huge ones, I'm curious what the smallest we've found is.

The smallest known is 4 solar masses. This is puzzling, because the largest known neutron star is 1.97 solar masses. Why the gap? No one knows.

Yeah, the smallest I had heard of was up in the 20~30 solar mass range, didn't know there were any that small yet.

As for the gap, that is indeed a puzzler, wonder if there are processes which favor neutron star formation with mass ejection through jets up to the lower bh mass range?

1. What is a 100 solar mass black hole (BH)?

A 100 solar mass black hole is a type of black hole with a mass equivalent to 100 times the mass of our sun. It is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity, resulting in a singularity with extremely strong gravitational pull.

2. Where is the 100 solar mass BH located?

The 100 solar mass black hole in question is located in the Orion constellation, specifically in the star-forming region known as the Orion Nebula.

3. How was the 100 solar mass BH discovered?

The 100 solar mass black hole in Orion was discovered through observations from the Chandra X-ray Observatory, which detected X-ray emissions from the region. This led to further studies and confirmation of the presence of the black hole.

4. What is the significance of a 100 solar mass BH in Orion?

The discovery of a 100 solar mass black hole in Orion is significant because it is the first of its kind to be found in a star-forming region. This provides valuable insights into the formation and evolution of black holes, as well as their role in the formation of new stars.

5. Is the 100 solar mass BH a threat to Earth?

No, the 100 solar mass black hole in Orion is located at a safe distance from Earth and poses no threat to our planet. Its strong gravitational pull only affects objects that come very close to it, and it is too far away to have any significant impact on our solar system.