How to cut power when given max voltage reached?

In summary, Bobbywhy is looking for a way to automatically disconnect power to a capacitive load when the voltage difference between the leads reaches a certain value. Resistor values will need to be reworked, and a power-transistor switch could be used.
Cyclix
Hi all

I need to disconnect the power once a given voltage drop at some component (a capacitor in this case) is reached.

For example at first the voltage between the leads is 0 and starts climbing up once there is power. When the voltage reaches 2.0 V, I want the power to be cut off.

Can a relay do it? What other options are there?

Engineering news on Phys.org
zener diode.
if the PD across the diode is less than it's rated "zener voltage" then it does not conduct.

iirc:
in series ahead of the cap, in the circuit, then the capacitor charges until the PD across the diode drops below the zener voltage.

in parallel - the cap charges until the zener voltage is exceeded - then the diode channels the current away.

You may consider using a voltage comparator to monitor the rising voltage. Once your limit is reached, the comparator switches. This can then be used to control an analog switch, which would open, disconnecting the power.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Diode like Simon says. Try buying a few zeners with a reverse breakdown voltage of 2.0 volts. Run it in parallel with the component you are trying to protect, and put the diode in backwards.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I can't seem to find zener diodes capable of handling the current I am working with. I have a 55W headlight bulb, and the the cap in series. My power supply outputs 4A in this configuration. So I need a zener capable of handling 4A right?

Bobbywhy said:
You may consider using a voltage comparator to monitor the rising voltage. Once your limit is reached, the comparator switches. This can then be used to control an analog switch, which would open, disconnecting the power.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy
Are comparators discrete parts or how can I built one? I have no problem with theory, I just don't know what's possible out of the box for my scenario.

Cyclix said:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I can't seem to find zener diodes capable of handling the current I am working with. I have a 55W headlight bulb, and the the cap in series. My power supply outputs 4A in this configuration. So I need a zener capable of handling 4A right?

Are comparators discrete parts or how can I built one? I have no problem with theory, I just don't know what's possible out of the box for my scenario.

Cyclix, Oops! Had you included this information in your original opening post you’d not have received the kinds of suggestions that were offered! Zener diodes and analog switches are normally used to control signals and not power electronics! I feel like a blind man touching an elephant…each different part I touch causes me to guess wrong about what the object really is.

Will you please supply a schematic diagram of your circuit? Be sure to include the power supply voltage and show where the capacitor is in the circuit and what is its purpose? The more information you can supply about your project the more likely you will receive useful suggestions. And vice-versa.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Well I am using a computer power supply to charge an ultra capacitor. I use the light bulb as a current limiter because the short circuit protection of the power supply keeps kicking in when I connect just the capacitor.

It is working great but I have to stick around while the cap is charging in order to disconnect before the voltage difference between its leads reaches 2.5 V. So I am searching for an automatic way to do it at a way lower value, i.e. 2 V

The time it takes to get from 0 to 2.5 V in my current setup is ~27 minutes. I don't want to start doing something else and forget to pull the plug on time. The formula I am using to calculate charging times is Tsec = Vcap / ( I / C). I also have a multimeter running to check the voltage periodically.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6199/scheme2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyclix said:
Are comparators discrete parts or how can I built one?
You could adapt the idea from the first 3 minutes of this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Q0ERSP24A

Instead of powering a nuclear detonator, power your capacitor. The IC itself could be powered from your +12v supply (this IC doesn't need a negative supply.) Resistor values will need to be reworked, of course. Inputs might need to be swapped for switching as you want.

1. What is the safest way to cut power when the maximum voltage is reached?

The safest way to cut power when the maximum voltage is reached is to use a circuit breaker or fuse. These devices are designed to automatically cut off the power supply when the voltage exceeds a certain threshold, preventing any potential damage or harm.

2. Can I manually cut off power when the maximum voltage is reached?

Yes, you can manually cut off power when the maximum voltage is reached by turning off the power supply or unplugging the device. However, this method may not be as safe as using a circuit breaker or fuse, as there is a risk of electric shock if proper precautions are not taken.

3. What happens if the power is not cut off when the maximum voltage is reached?

If the power is not cut off when the maximum voltage is reached, it can cause damage to the electrical components and potentially lead to a fire or explosion. It is important to have safety measures in place to prevent this from happening.

4. Are there any warning signs before reaching the maximum voltage?

Yes, there are often warning signs before reaching the maximum voltage, such as flickering lights, unusual noises, or a burning smell. It is important to pay attention to these signs and take action to prevent any potential hazards.

5. Can I reset the power after it has been cut off due to the maximum voltage being reached?

Yes, you can reset the power after it has been cut off due to the maximum voltage being reached. However, it is important to address the underlying issue that caused the power to exceed the maximum voltage in the first place, to prevent it from happening again.