Statistical mechanics - Partition function of a system of N particles

In summary: T is the temperature. In summary, in order to find the partition function for a system with N distinguishable particles in two energy states, you must take the sum of the exponential function raised to the negative energy of each state divided by the temperature, and then raise that sum to the Nth power. This can be seen as a summation over all possible states of energy, rather than a summation over the energies of each microstate. A recommended book for further study is Thermal Physics by Kittel and Kroemer.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Imagine a system with N distinguishable particles. Each particle may be in two states of energy: -ε and +ε.

Find the the partition function of the system

Homework Equations

2acad120bcee798b08a9cdfca4db8451.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to find the partition function for a single function, Z, and my final result will be ZN. Now, I'll say that:

(Where it says ε it's meant to be ε(r) )

Z = Ʃr exp(-β(ε - ε) ) = Ʃr exp(-βε) * exp(βε) =
= Ʃr exp(-βε) * Ʃr exp(βε)

I'm sure this is incorrect. It doesn't make sense in my head.. E(r) is the energy associated with each microstate, therefore saying that E(r) = ε(r) - ε(r) can't make any sense! I know that the result is:

Z = ( exp(βε) + exp(-βε) )N

I have no idea how to get there tho. How did it became a sum? How do I get rid of the summatories?

Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The partition function is a summation over states. You simply are using the summation wrong. It is not a summation over the energy levels of within the exponent. It is a summation over e(-Es/T).

Look at any example problem in a thermo book for a 2-state system

8ikmAm I not summing over the expoent of the energy of each microstate?

klawlor419 said:
Look at any example problem in a thermo book for a 2-state system

Do you know any good statistical mechanics book you'd advise me reading?

EDIT:
Is it a summation over all the states of energy instead of the energies of each microstate? Because then the solution would make sense!

Last edited:
Jalo said:
Am I not summing over the expoent of the energy of each microstate?

Do you know any good statistical mechanics book you'd advise me reading?

No. You are summing over the exponential function raised to the -Es/T.

A good book is Thermal Physics by Kittel + Kroemer

Where Es is the energy of the s-th state

1. What is the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics that describes the distribution of particles in a system. It is a mathematical function that takes into account all possible states of a system and their corresponding energies.

2. How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible states of a system, taking into account the energy of each state and the number of particles in that state. It is typically expressed as a product of individual partition functions for each particle.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function allows us to calculate important thermodynamic quantities such as the internal energy, entropy, and free energy of a system. It also provides a way to predict the equilibrium state of a system and understand the behavior of particles within it.

4. How does the partition function change with temperature?

The partition function is directly related to temperature, as it takes into account the energy of each state. As temperature increases, the partition function also increases, indicating a greater number of accessible states and a higher likelihood of finding particles in higher energy states.

5. Can the partition function be used for any type of system?

Yes, the partition function can be applied to any type of system, whether it is a gas, liquid, solid, or even a complex system such as a protein or polymer. However, the specific form of the partition function may vary depending on the system and its properties.