Involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy

• Medical
  • Thread starter taylaron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delay Motor
In summary, the conversation discusses an idea for detecting sleepiness or loss of attentiveness using electrical impulses to measure muscle response time. The speaker questions the effectiveness and invasiveness of this method and suggests using eye closure as a potential indicator instead.
taylaron
Gold Member
"Involuntary motor reflex" delay while sleepy

Ok, I do confess I got pat of the title from Mel Brook's movie "Young Frankenstein". That said, here is my question.

I'm trying to find an extremely non-invasive way to detect when a person is losing attentiveness, or getting sleepy. FYI, I'm an electrical engineer so I have little knowledge of the mind and body's behavior.

I propose alertness or sleepiness can be detected using an extremely mild electrical shock. One would apply a short pulse of current between two points on the skin (in close proximity) and measuring the time the brain takes to respond to the shock (via muscle contraction). The longer the time between muscle contraction and the shock, the less alert the subject is, and conversely. Would this work?

I've heard that the body will involuntarily respond to sudden stimuli (pain, etc...) before the brain has time to respond. Would the system I propose be largely independent of how the brain responds to the stimuli- given the body's involuntary reactions?

Thanks
-Tay

Biology news on Phys.org

I don't know if the method you're proposing would be an accurate one-shot measure of someone's attentiveness or not, but it clearly fails the criteria of "extremely non-invasive", don't you think? To fit that criteria I would think you'd have to come up with a test the person was completely unaware of. The induced muscle spasm, itself, would surely alter their level of awareness and prevent ongoing monitoring of the natural state of their attention.

Hint: if you want to know if someone is getting sleepy or losing attention, their eyes will probably start to stay closed.

Shooting the juice to someone is pretty 'invasive'.

1. What is an involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy?

An involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy refers to the delay in response time of a person's reflexes when they are feeling drowsy or sleepy. This can be due to the slower processing of information by the brain, resulting in a delayed response to stimuli.

2. Why does involuntary motor reflex delay occur when we are sleepy?

Involuntary motor reflex delay occurs when we are sleepy because our brain's ability to process information and send signals to the muscles is decreased. This is due to the decreased activity of the brain's alertness centers, resulting in slower reflex responses.

3. Is involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy dangerous?

In most cases, involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy is not dangerous as it is a natural response of the body. However, in situations where quick reflexes are crucial for safety, such as driving or operating machinery, it can be risky and should be avoided.

4. Can involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy be prevented?

Involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy can be prevented by ensuring that you get enough sleep and rest. It is also important to avoid activities that require quick reflexes when feeling drowsy or sleepy.

5. Are there any medical conditions that can cause involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy?

Yes, there are certain medical conditions that can cause involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy, such as sleep disorders, neurological disorders, and certain medications. If you experience excessive or prolonged involuntary motor reflex delay while sleepy, it is best to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.