Ratiometric Analog Output interfaced with Arduino?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of interfacing a Honeywell NSCSANN015PAUNV piezoresistive pressure sensor with an Arduino Uno analog input. The output from the sensor is a ratiometric analog output with two pins, V+out and V-out. The individual has tried using a standard curve and a differential amplifier circuit, but has not been able to get an accurate reading. They are seeking advice on how to properly measure the output from the sensor and what "ratiometric analog output" means in this context.
SolarPlexus
I'm trying to interface a pressure sensor (specifically, a Honeywell NSCSANN015PAUNV piezoresistive pressure sensor) with an Arduino Uno analog input, but I'm not having much luck. The output from the pressure sensor is a "ratiometric analog output" with a pin corresponding to V+out and a pin for V-out. My problem is that I haven't found an effective way of rectifying the output signal for interfacing with an Arduino input pin.

I have created a standard curve for the pressures of this sensor and have found that the voltage across the pins at atmospheric pressure and 5V input is approximately 75mV. This makes sense, as according to the datasheet (http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.php?ci_id=142173) the nominal mV/V/Full Scale Span = 15 for a supply voltage of 5V. Anyways, this standard curve is approximately linear, with 15mV intervals.

In order to integrate the sensor with the Arduino, my first thought was that I could use a simple, zero-gain differential amplifier circuit (with an LM741 Op Amp and 10kOhm resistors). Unfortunately, the output from this circuit is only 65mV at 5V, which contradicts what I found when testing the pressure sensor on its own. I don't know how to get an accurate reading of the output from this sensor with my Arduino, and I've tried several LM741 arrangements to no avail. I would appreciate any advice on this matter, and whether or not I'm going about this measurement all wrong. I'm still a bit fuzzy about what "ratiometric analog output" means in this context.

Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is meant by "Ratiometric Analog Output"?

Ratiometric analog output refers to the process of producing an output signal that is proportional to the input signal. This means that the output voltage or current changes in direct proportion to the changes in the input voltage or current. In other words, the ratio between the input and output remains constant.

2. How does the Arduino interface with ratiometric analog output?

The Arduino can interface with ratiometric analog output using its built-in analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The ADC converts the analog signal from the ratiometric output to a digital value that can be read and processed by the Arduino. This allows the Arduino to accurately measure and respond to changes in the input signal.

3. What are the advantages of using ratiometric analog output with an Arduino?

One of the main advantages of using ratiometric analog output with an Arduino is its accuracy. Since the output is directly proportional to the input, the measurements taken by the Arduino are more precise. Additionally, ratiometric output is less affected by changes in the power supply voltage, making it more reliable.

4. Can any sensor or device be used with ratiometric analog output and Arduino?

Yes, as long as the sensor or device produces an analog output signal, it can be used with ratiometric analog output and Arduino. This can include sensors for temperature, pressure, light, and many others. It is important to make sure that the sensor's output range is compatible with the Arduino's ADC range.

5. Is it difficult to implement ratiometric analog output with Arduino?

No, it is not difficult to implement ratiometric analog output with Arduino. The Arduino has built-in functions and libraries that make it easy to read and process analog signals. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available for guidance on implementing ratiometric analog output with Arduino.