How determine aspheric lens beam angle?

In summary: Thanks in advance for any help!As I understand it, if I place the led light source at the focal length of the aspheric lens, the light should be collimated(parallel) coming out the other side. As I decrease the distance between the led and the lens, the light coming out should have an increasingly wide beam angle, correct?Yes, this is correct. The thinner the lens, the wider the beam angle.
spiffly
Hi,

I'm using an aspheric lens with a LED light source for a DIY projector.

As I understand it, if I place the led light source at the focal length of the aspheric lens, the light should be collimated(parallel) coming out the other side. As I decrease the distance between the led and the lens, the light coming out should have an increasingly wide beam angle, correct?

Since most LED sources have a rough beam angle of 120 degrees, I want to place the lens as close as possible, but I need to make sure that the beam angle projects the light uniformly onto the fresnel lens, and take into account also the fresnel lens fl as well.

Does anyone know what formula I can use to calculate beam angle, given the light source distance from the lens?

It seems that the focal length and the led distance should be enough to calculate this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Science news on Phys.org
Hi,

Can anyone help me on this?

Stated very simply, if I have an aspheric lens for which I know the focal length, and I place a point light source at a given distance from the lens, how can I calculate the resulting beam angle coming out of the lens?

Perhaps the formula would be the same for a simple convex lens? That's what I'm not sure of, any help appreciated:-)

LEDs have a finite size- you cannot collimate the beam below a certain angular spread. Otherwise, you can use the usual lens formulas.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I do understand that because the LED isn't a point light, even if I place the light source at the focal point, it will slowly diverge; is this what you're talking about by saying it's finite?

So it sounds like I can use the thin lens equation (1/f = 1/o + 1/i) for an aspheric lens to get a rough approximation. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

spiffly said:
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I do understand that because the LED isn't a point light, even if I place the light source at the focal point, it will slowly diverge; is this what you're talking about by saying it's finite?

So it sounds like I can use the thin lens equation (1/f = 1/o + 1/i) for an aspheric lens to get a rough approximation.

Yes, and yes.

the thin lens equation will allow me to solve for f, or distance to object or image, and for the magnification equation, I can solve for magnification, and object or image height.

In my case I have the light source closer to the lens than the focal point, so these equations just give me dimensions and location of the virtual image, which as near as I can tell is not what I need. I'm simply interested in the height of the projected light at a given distance coming out of the aspheric lens.

Is there a way to use the magnification value to predict the projected light height at a given distance? It seems like it could be used as a rate of divergence?

Attachments

• asphericLens.jpg
    asphericLens.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 641

1. How do you measure the beam angle of an aspheric lens?

The beam angle of an aspheric lens can be measured using a beam profiler or a goniometer. The beam profiler captures the intensity distribution of the laser beam and the goniometer measures the angle at which the laser beam exits the lens. Both methods provide accurate measurements of the beam angle.

2. What is the importance of determining the beam angle of an aspheric lens?

The beam angle of an aspheric lens affects the shape and quality of the laser beam. It determines the divergence and focus of the beam, which are crucial for applications such as laser cutting and medical procedures. Accurate determination of the beam angle ensures optimal performance of the lens and the laser system.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the beam angle of an aspheric lens?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the beam angle of an aspheric lens. These include the lens material, curvature, and surface quality. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the beam angle. It is important to consider these factors when determining the beam angle.

4. Can the beam angle of an aspheric lens be adjusted?

Yes, the beam angle of an aspheric lens can be adjusted by changing the shape or curvature of the lens. This can be done by polishing or grinding the lens to achieve the desired angle. However, it is important to note that any adjustments to the lens can also affect its other properties, such as focus and divergence.

5. How often should the beam angle of an aspheric lens be measured?

The beam angle of an aspheric lens should be measured regularly, especially if the lens is being used in a critical application. Changes in the environment or the lens itself can affect the beam angle over time. It is recommended to measure the beam angle before and after any adjustments to ensure optimal performance.