Was Pangaea the surface of a smaller planet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of Earth having one supercontinent in a global ocean, and the idea that water may have played a significant role in the formation of continents. However, it is concluded that this is not a workable scenario and the Earth's supercontinent cycle is better explained by plate tectonics. The conversation also mentions that personal theories should not be shared on the forum.
Seraph316
I feel curious about Earth having one supercontinent in a global ocean; it seems a little lobsided.

Could it be that, once upon a time, Earth was much smaller, and then water was added?

If a small planet was somehow globally deluged (No, not Noah's Ark - millions of years earlier) would the sudden new weight massively compress and lower or even sink some of the land levels, and maybe split the surface - Pangaea - into new continents? If a lot of water broke through and stayed underground while more water at sea level became more ocean, would this result in the planet swelling, and land masses seeming to separate proportionately, like maps drawn on a swelling balloon? Did water split Pangaea? If so, where did it all come from?

Please tell me if this is possibly a workable scenario. Thanks.

Seraph316.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Seraph316 said:
I feel curious about Earth having one supercontinent in a global ocean; it seems a little lobsided.
What's wrong with "lopsided"?

Work out how much the Earth would have been "lopsided" by. You'll see it's only a very tiny proportion of the overall radius.

Could it be that, once upon a time, Earth was much smaller, and then water was added?
I think the standard approach has water being in the atmosphere and raining down later - so, "water was added" in that sense. But what's wrong with the water arriving during the accretion and early formation?

If a small planet was somehow globally deluged (No, not Noah's Ark - millions of years earlier)
Your time-frame is still too short. Try replacing "millions" with "billions".

would the sudden new weight massively compress and lower or even sink some of the land levels, and maybe split the surface - Pangaea - into new continents? If a lot of water broke through and stayed underground while more water at sea level became more ocean, would this result in the planet swelling, and land masses seeming to separate proportionately, like maps drawn on a swelling balloon? Did water split Pangaea? If so, where did it all come from?

Please tell me if this is possibly a workable scenario. Thanks.

Seraph316.
OK - the short answer is "no", it's not a workable scenario.
I can see why you'd look for something dramatic like that if you are thinking in terms of mere million-year timescales though.

Seraph316 said:
No.

If a small planet was somehow globally deluged (No, not Noah's Ark - millions of years earlier) would the sudden new weight massively compress and lower or even sink some of the land levels, and maybe split the surface - Pangaea - into new continents?
No.

Please tell me if this is possibly a workable scenario.
It's not.

The Earth has seen a number of supercontinents form and then break up, Pangaea being but the most recent. The supercontinent cycle is easily explained by plate tectonics.

This forum is not the place to expound personal theories. Read our rules. Thread closed.

1. What is Pangaea?

Pangaea is the name given to the supercontinent that existed on Earth about 300 million years ago. It was made up of all the current continents we know today, but they were joined together as one giant landmass.

2. Was Pangaea the only supercontinent on Earth?

No, Pangaea was not the only supercontinent on Earth. Before Pangaea, there were several other supercontinents that formed and broke apart through the process of plate tectonics.

3. How did Pangaea form?

Pangaea formed through the process of plate tectonics. The Earth's crust is made up of several large plates that constantly move and shift. About 300 million years ago, these plates came together and formed Pangaea.

4. Was Pangaea the surface of a smaller planet?

No, Pangaea was not the surface of a smaller planet. It was the surface of Earth, but the continents were joined together in a different configuration than they are today.

5. When did Pangaea start to break apart?

Pangaea started to break apart around 175 million years ago. This process is known as continental drift and is still ongoing today, with the continents continuing to slowly move and shift over time.