Stepping down from an advanced calculator

In summary, the conversation discusses the reliance on graphing calculators and the struggle of using a simpler calculator for basic operations. The correct order for inputting an equation without parentheses is discussed, with a reminder to use brackets for more complex expressions.
mindheavy
This is kind of sad, but I'm beginning to realize how much I rely on my graphing calculator any more for solving equations and whatnot. I am trying to incorporate a much simpler calculator from time to time (CASIO fx-260) and am struggling with some very basic operations.

Say I have the equation [itex]\tau_A=\frac{5kN\cdot.040}{\frac{\pi}{2}\cdot(.04^4)}[/itex] and I want to input this without using parenthesis. What is the order to type this in the calculator with?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you have a calculator that won't track order of operations for you, and I have one that let's you type it out on the screen to confirm it's correct, I would just go with the latter and restrict myself to only using it for basic calculations.

As for your guy, I would start with .04, raise it to the power of 4, multiply by pi, divide by 2, hit the "1/x" key, then multiply by all the stuff in the numerator consecutively. The thing I would be worried about when entering this expression into the calculator is if I try to do divide by, then enter .04, then raise to the 4th power, that it would divide by .04 before raising everything I have so far to the 4th power (some calculators will recognize a Pemdas violation I believe, but some won't).

Thanks, following the order you laid out got the correct answer. I hadn't thought of doing the denominator then reciprocating it to multiply by the numerator, but I see it now!

Use those bracket buttons, for example, numerator / ( ... ) =

Oh sorry, you said without using parentheses. Odd :).

I understand the convenience and reliance on advanced calculators for solving equations. However, it is important to also have a basic understanding of mathematical operations and the use of simpler calculators. In order to input the given equation without using parentheses, the order of operations should be followed. This means that the numerator should be calculated first, followed by the denominator, and then the final division. So, in this case, the first step would be to multiply 5kN and .040, then calculate the exponent of .04, and finally divide the two results. It may take some practice to become comfortable with using a simpler calculator, but it is a valuable skill to have.

1. How do I know when it's time to step down from an advanced calculator?

There is no specific timeline for when one should switch from using an advanced calculator to a more basic one. However, if you find yourself regularly relying on the advanced features for simple calculations or if you are no longer using the advanced features in your work or studies, it may be a good time to consider stepping down.

2. Will I lose any functionality by switching to a basic calculator?

Basic calculators typically have the same core functions as advanced ones, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. However, they may not have advanced features such as graphing, programming, or statistical calculations. It's important to assess your needs and determine if the basic calculator will meet them.

3. Can I still use my advanced calculator for more complex calculations after stepping down?

Yes, you can still use your advanced calculator for more complex calculations, even after stepping down. In fact, it may be beneficial to switch back to your advanced calculator for more advanced calculations and use the basic one for simpler ones. This can help you maintain your proficiency with advanced features.

4. Are there any benefits to using a basic calculator over an advanced one?

Using a basic calculator can help improve your mental math skills as you no longer have the advanced functions to rely on. It can also save money as basic calculators are typically less expensive than advanced ones. Additionally, basic calculators are often more lightweight and portable, making them easier to carry around.

5. Is it worth investing in an advanced calculator at all?

This ultimately depends on your needs and preferences. If you regularly use the advanced features for your work or studies, then it may be worth investing in an advanced calculator. However, if you find that you no longer need these features or they are not allowed in your exams or workplace, it may be more practical to stick with a basic calculator.