Converting baby swing from battery power to DC adaptor.

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the right charger or adapter for a Fisher Price baby swing that runs on four D batteries. The individual has tried using a 6v DC charger but it did not work properly, causing the swing to become more noisy and not swing correctly. It is suggested to monitor the voltage while the swing is running and try a larger charger if necessary. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using rechargeable batteries and clarifies that the charger specification is for output, not input. It is recommended to use a 6V DC 1A power supply and make sure it is connected correctly. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of finding a suitable and properly functioning charger for the baby swing.
mnshahid
I have a fisher price baby swing. It has 4 1.5v batteries of size D. I tried to convert it to a 6v DC charger but that didn't work. The charger specification is output=400mA 2.4VA. If someone can help me please to find a right charger as this doesn't work correctly and swing does not swing as swings with the batteries. Swing becomes more noisy and does not swing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's likely the swing is drawing current for a quarter cycle or less. If so, the momentary current drain may be over 400 mA. If you have a voltmeter, monitor the voltage while it's running and if you see the voltage drop significantly below 6 V, try a larger charger.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I'm quite a lay man in case of electronics and don't have any mentioned tools to check current. Can you please kindly suggest that what likely be the mA of the adaptor should be. I can open swing to see if any chance there has been anything printed by the swing motor ? Or by some other means Igbo can get help to know about the closest mA that this swing needed please!

I can't think of any other options than getting a larger charger. You may find some wall warts that will supply 1 or 1.5 amps. If that doesn't solve the problem I'd look for another problem like maybe your charger isn't working or it's hooked up wrong.

I have also tried charger of out 500mA also 600mA but results are not different than the 400mA adaptor. Should I go beyond the 600mA or less than 400mA? If someone can help me please!

You probably need a supply that doesn't have all the a.c. ripple. The ripple is probably causing the noise problem.

I tried to search fisher swing that works with DC adaptor and their they mentioned the adaptor having 100mA. Should I try one of similar power?

mnshahid said:
I tried to search fisher swing that works with DC adaptor and their they mentioned the adaptor having 100mA. Should I try one of similar power?

No, a basic 100 mA adapter will perform worse than the ones you have tried.

Or maybe you meant to type 1000 mA there?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1387108759.164383.jpg

I think your best course is to use 1 or 2 sets of rechargeable cells, NiMH type. Have one set on the charger while the other is in use.

The fact that the product operates on D batteries indicates that it draws a lot of current. Trying to run it on the charger won't work - you would need a real high current power supply. The charger is for charging - at low current. BTW, anything labeled "2.4VA" is outputting AC - "VA" is a rough AC equivalent of DC watts.

tfr000 said:
The fact that the product operates on D batteries indicates that it draws a lot of current. Trying to run it on the charger won't work - you would need a real high current power supply. The charger is for charging - at low current.
True

BTW, anything labeled "2.4VA" is outputting AC - "VA" is a rough AC equivalent of DC watts.
Not true. The charger is labelled for its input requirements, not output. The rating is in VA because the input is to a transformer. If what you said was true, how would the charger charge D cells?

I never said that charger is charging D cells but an adaptor to replace batteries.

mnshahid said:
The charger specification is output=400mA 2.4VA.
Looks like it says output to me.

There are a bazillion types of wall warts. Some of them do indeed output AC. And the quote above does not seem to match the image that was posted.

mnshahid said:
I never said that charger is charging D cells but an adaptor to replace batteries.

So, when you say "charger" you mean "adaptor", then?
Your average D cell will have about 1AHr in it so if your swing will work with batteries for about 1 Hr, it will be taking 1A. (You could resolve the question with a DMM, of course). You can buy a 6V DC 1A power supply for very few GBP, or equivalent, on eBay. It is important that it should be explicitly marked as a DC supply and that it's connected the right way round. Don't be offended by my pickiness - I have made all those mistakes myself in the past and I always run through the checklist when I connect power to things. Problem is that there are so many varieties of PSU around these days.

1. How do I convert my baby swing from battery power to a DC adaptor?

To convert your baby swing from battery power to a DC adaptor, you will need to purchase a DC adaptor that matches the voltage and polarity requirements of your baby swing. Then, simply plug the DC adaptor into the designated power input on your baby swing.

2. Can I use any DC adaptor for my baby swing?

No, it is important to make sure that the DC adaptor you use matches the voltage and polarity requirements of your baby swing. Using the wrong adaptor could potentially damage your baby swing or cause it to malfunction.

3. How do I determine the voltage and polarity requirements of my baby swing?

You can find this information in the user manual or on the back of your baby swing. If you cannot find it, you can contact the manufacturer for assistance.

4. Will using a DC adaptor affect the performance of my baby swing?

No, as long as you use a DC adaptor that matches the voltage and polarity requirements of your baby swing, it should not affect its performance. In fact, using a DC adaptor can save you money on batteries in the long run.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when converting my baby swing to a DC adaptor?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the DC adaptor is properly connected and that there are no loose or exposed wires. Also, always unplug the DC adaptor when not in use and keep it out of reach of children.