Questions about entropy, normal force, and the human body

In summary: Kxf9CpArXE4&t=362s Professor Susskind then discusses the apparent contradiction between the second law of thermodynamics, and the reversibility of classical mechanics. If entropy always increases, reversibility is violated. The resolution of this conflict lies in the (lack of) precision of our observations. Undetectable differences in initial conditions lead to large changes in results. This is the foundation of chaos theory.
Awe_Inspired
Greetings folks,
I'm new to this forum and to physics in general so apologies if I come off like a greenhorn or if I am posting these questions in the wrong place. I have an Arts background and have never really "gotten" science, but my interest in post-Enlightenment philosophy has led me to a fascination with quantum physics and the potential challenges that it poses to rationalism. My initial question is this: can the human body convert normal force into usable energy? In other words, does the simple act of standing on a spatial surface (be it the ground, a floor, a sidewalk, etc) involve an exchange of energy that the body can store and use at a later time? If so, how does the exchange take place, what types of energy does it involve, and is it one-sided or does it work both ways - i.e. does the Earth also absorb energy from my body that it can use to feed other natural processes? Also, do you think it is possible to reconcile the theory of entropy as energy dispersal with that of entropy as a measure chaos within a closed system? For instance, could my standing in a particular place either divert energy from or redirect energy to a weather system that would, in turn, either increase or decrease the likelihood that it would rain somewhere else? Please excuse me if these sound like the half-baked theories of an ill-informed layperson but I ask out of pure curiousity.

Cheers,
Awe_Inspired

Science news on Phys.org
Awe_Inspired said:
My initial question is this: can the human body convert normal force into usable energy? In other words, does the simple act of standing on a spatial surface (be it the ground, a floor, a sidewalk, etc) involve an exchange of energy that the body can store and use at a later time?
No. Consider that if you stand long enough, you start to get tired - your muscles are turning the food you've eaten into energy just to keep you standing there.

Also, do you think it is possible to reconcile the theory of entropy as energy dispersal with that of entropy as a measure of chaos within a closed system? For instance, could my standing in a particular place either divert energy from or redirect energy to a weather system that would, in turn, either increase or decrease the likelihood that it would rain somewhere else?
Again, no. You'll see the pop-sci press try explain entropy as "chaos", "disorder", "energy dispersal", and the like, but that's because they're trying to explain a fairly abstract (but rigorously defined) mathematical concept without using math. It gives you a sort-of OK hand-waving sense of what entropy is about, but not a foundation that you can develop new ideas from.

If you're really interested in this stuff, it's worth unlearning the pop-sci glossy overview and starting over with a more serious study. It's a lot of work, but it's also the difference between reading a restaurant review and eating at the restaurant yourself.

Last edited:
Nugatory said:
No. Consider that if you stand long enough, you start to get tired - your muscles are turning the food you've eaten into energy just to keep you standing there.

Again, no. You'll see the pop-sci press try explain entropy as "chaos", "disorder", "energy dispersal", and the like, but that's because they're trying to explain a fairly abstract (but rigorously defined) mathematical concept without using math. It gives you a sort-of OK hand-waving sense of what entropy is about, but not a foundation that you can develop new ideas from.

If you're really interested in this stuff, it's worth unlearning the pop-sci glossy overview and starting over with a more serious study. It's a lot of work, but it's also the difference between reading a restaurant review and eating at the restaurant yourself.

Okay, cool. Well, that's certainly a start. Can you suggest an introductory reading list and/or a few links that might subvert my popularly-received but erroneous understanding of entropy in at least a semi-comprehensible fashion?

Last edited:
Susskind touches a bit on the relationship between chaos and entropy in his lecture. It's not as direct as you propose, but it helps explain the lack of reversibility. Here's a summary:

Professor Susskind then discusses the apparent contradiction between the second law of thermodynamics, and the reversibility of classical mechanics. If entropy always increases, reversibility is violated. The resolution of this conflict lies in the (lack of) precision of our observations. Undetectable differences in initial conditions lead to large changes in results. This is the foundation of chaos theory.

http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses/statistical-mechanics/2013/spring/lecture-7

Hello Awe_Inspired,

Welcome to the forum! Your questions are certainly thought-provoking and demonstrate a curiosity for understanding the world around us. Let's dive into your questions about entropy, normal force, and the human body.

Firstly, let's define what entropy is. In thermodynamics, entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a natural law that states that in any process, the total entropy of a closed system (a system that does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings) will either remain constant or increase. This means that energy will naturally flow from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration, resulting in a more disordered state.

Now, to address your question about the conversion of normal force into usable energy by the human body. Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, in this case, the ground on your body. The simple answer is that no, the human body cannot directly convert normal force into usable energy. The energy used by the body comes from the food we eat, which is broken down into glucose and other molecules that the body can use for energy. However, the act of standing on a surface does involve an exchange of energy, but it is not in the form of usable energy. When we stand, our bodies are constantly making small adjustments to maintain balance, using energy from our muscles. This energy is then converted into heat, which is dissipated into the environment.

As for your question about the exchange of energy between the human body and the Earth, the answer is yes, there is an exchange of energy. Our bodies absorb energy from the sun's rays, which is used for various bodily functions, such as producing vitamin D. The Earth also absorbs energy from our bodies in the form of heat. However, this exchange of energy is on a very small scale and does not significantly impact larger natural processes.

Finally, regarding your question about the reconciliation of entropy as energy dispersal and entropy as a measure of chaos within a closed system, it is important to note that these are two different perspectives on the concept of entropy. Energy dispersal refers to the natural flow of energy from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration, while chaos within a closed system refers to the increasing disorder or randomness of a system. Both are valid perspectives and can be applied in different contexts.

I hope this helps to answer your questions and provides some insight into the relationship between

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to the human body?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of the human body, it refers to the natural tendency for the body to move towards a state of disorder or decay over time. This is due to the constant energy exchanges and chemical reactions that occur within the body.

2. How does normal force affect the human body?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object placed on it. In the case of the human body, normal force is responsible for supporting our weight and allowing us to stand and move. It is also important in maintaining proper posture and preventing injuries.

3. Can entropy be reversed in the human body?

While the overall trend of entropy in the human body is towards disorder, the body has mechanisms in place to maintain order and balance. For example, our cells have the ability to repair and regenerate, and our immune system works to fight off infections and diseases. However, these processes can only slow down the effects of entropy, not reverse it entirely.

4. How does exercise impact entropy in the human body?

Exercise can help to counteract the effects of entropy in the human body. Regular physical activity can increase muscle strength and mass, improve cardiovascular health, and promote overall wellness. These factors can help to slow down the natural decline in the body's functioning due to entropy.

5. Is there a relationship between entropy and aging in the human body?

While aging is a complex process influenced by many factors, there is a strong correlation between entropy and aging in the human body. As the body's systems and cells become less efficient and begin to break down over time, the effects of entropy become more apparent. This can lead to a decline in physical and cognitive functioning and an increased risk of age-related diseases.