Evaluate Gaussian Integral with Complex $\mu$ and $\sigma$

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral involving complex numbers mu and sigma. The speaker attempted to simplify the integral by expressing mu and sigma in terms of real and imaginary parts, but things became more complicated. Another person suggested using a plot to analyze the convergence of the integral. Finally, the conversation ended with someone claiming to have successfully found a closed-form solution to the integral.
bigplanet401
Evaluate:
[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \, dx \, exp\left[-\frac{(x - \mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}\right] \, ,
[/tex]
where [tex]$\mu$[/tex] and [tex]$\sigma$[/tex] are complex numbers.
I tried writing
[tex]
\begin{align}
\sigma &= s_1 + is_2 \,\\
\mu &= m_1 + i m_2 \, .
\end{align}
[/tex]
The integral turned into
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \, dx \, e^{x(A + iB)} e^C \, ,
[/tex]
where A, B and C are constants. But then things got dark.

Physics news on Phys.org
bigplanet401 said:
Evaluate:
[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \, dx \, exp\left[-\frac{(x - \mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}\right] \, ,
[/tex]
where [tex]$\mu$[/tex] and [tex]$\sigma$[/tex] are complex numbers.
I tried writing
[tex]
\begin{align}
\sigma &= s_1 + is_2 \,\\
\mu &= m_1 + i m_2 \, .
\end{align}
[/tex]
The integral turned into
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \, dx \, e^{x(A + iB)} e^C \, ,
[/tex]
where A, B and C are constants. But then things got dark.

Convergence appears to me to be dependent upon the value of sigma as this will determine the sign of the exponential coefficient in the Euler expansion of the integrand. One would think that when it is less than zero, the integral converges but diverges when the exponent is greater than or equal zero. That is, when is:

[tex]Re[-\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}]< 0;\quad \sigma\in \mathbb{C}[/tex]

and when is it greater than or equal to zero?

You guys mind if I run with this? It's very interesting and I need the practice too as I'm just learning Complex Analysis. Seems to me the integral can be characterized by the attached plot of the complex-sigma plane (mu has no effect on the value of the integral). That is, the integral has one value in red, another value in blue and something else in clear.

Bigplanet, would you kindly provide a proof or contradiction of such.

Perhaps someone in here more qualified than me could comment as well.:smile:

Attachments

• complex sigma plane.JPG
    complex sigma plane.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 436
Hi Salty,
I took another crack at the integral last night and got a closed-form result by using the prescription (1) and (2), and completing the square:
[tex]
\text{(Integral)} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} \times \sqrt{2\pi}\frac{| \sigma |^2}{\sigma^*}
= 1 .
[/tex]
(Normalization is preserved even though [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex] live in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]).

Last edited:
bigplanet401 said:
Hi Salty,
I took another crack at the integral last night and got a closed-form result by using the prescription (1) and (2), and completing the square:
[tex]
\text{(Integral)} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} \times \sqrt{2\pi}\frac{| \sigma |^2}{\sigma^*}
= 1 .
[/tex]
(Normalization is preserved even though [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex] live in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]).

Ok Bigplanet. It's not happening for me then. Thanks for replying.:smile:

1. What is the formula for the Gaussian integral with complex μ and σ?

The formula for the Gaussian integral with complex μ and σ is ∫e^(-x^2 + 2μix - μ^2 + σ^2)dx.

2. How do you evaluate the Gaussian integral with complex μ and σ?

To evaluate the Gaussian integral with complex μ and σ, you can use the method of completing the square and then use substitution to solve the integral.

3. What is the significance of having complex μ and σ in the Gaussian integral?

The complex values of μ and σ in the Gaussian integral allow us to model a larger range of data and account for asymmetry in the data.

4. Can the Gaussian integral with complex μ and σ be solved analytically?

Yes, the Gaussian integral with complex μ and σ can be solved analytically using the aforementioned method of completing the square and substitution.

5. What are some real-world applications of using the Gaussian integral with complex μ and σ?

The Gaussian integral with complex μ and σ is commonly used in statistics, physics, and engineering to model and analyze various data sets, such as financial data, weather patterns, and particle interactions.