Maclaurin Series used to find associated radius of convergence Q

In summary: Sorry I ment to say in the book the radius of convergence is infinity, how is that possible seeing the result of the ratio test gives you L and it has to be less then 1? how to you get that radius of infinity?You should have found that for *any* value of x, the limit the ratio test gives is always less than 1, hence the series converges for all values of x and we say the radius of convergence is infinity.
badtwistoffate
I have the Maclaurin series for cos (x), is their a way to find its radius of convergence from that?

ALSO
Is there a trick to find the shorter version of the power series for the Maclaurin series, I can never seem to find it so instead of the long series with each term but like E summation (the series)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
badtwistoffate said:
I have the Maclaurin series for cos (x), is their a way to find its radius of convergence from that?

you can try the ratio test.

badtwistoffate said:
ALSO
Is there a trick to find the shorter version of the power series for the Maclaurin series, I can never seem to find it so instead of the long series with each term but like E summation (the series)

Err, do you mean writing the series using the sigma notation instead of the first few terms followed by some ...? You want to look for patterns in the coefficients. No real trick, practice will help though.

shmoe said:
you can try the ratio test.
Err, do you mean writing the series using the sigma notation instead of the first few terms followed by some ...? You want to look for patterns in the coefficients. No real trick, practice will help though.

Yeah i tried the ratio test, but the radius of convergence it sayed in the big is infinity, how is that possible as it has to be n < 1?

badtwistoffate said:
Yeah i tried the ratio test, but the radius of convergence it sayed in the big is infinity, how is that possible as it has to be n < 1?

I don't understand what you're saying, what's "in the big" mean? What are you calling n that it has to be less than 1?

shmoe said:
I don't understand what you're saying, what's "in the big" mean? What are you calling n that it has to be less than 1?

Sorry I ment to say in the book the radius of convergence is infinity, how is that possible seeing the result of the ratio test gives you L and it has to be less then 1? how to you get that radius of infinity?

You should have found that for *any* value of x, the limit the ratio test gives is always less than 1, hence the series converges for all values of x and we say the radius of convergence is infinity.

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial. It is named after the Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin and is a special case of the Taylor series.

2. How is a Maclaurin series used to find the associated radius of convergence?

A Maclaurin series can be used to find the associated radius of convergence by determining the region of the complex plane where the series converges. This region is known as the disk of convergence, and its radius can be calculated using various convergence tests, such as the ratio test or the root test.

3. Why is the radius of convergence important?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which the Maclaurin series accurately represents the original function. It also helps us determine the convergence or divergence of the series, which is crucial in many applications of mathematics and physics.

4. Can a Maclaurin series be used to find the radius of convergence for any function?

No, a Maclaurin series can only be used to find the radius of convergence for functions that can be expressed as a power series. This means that the function must have a continuous derivative of all orders at the center of the series.

5. How accurate is the radius of convergence determined using a Maclaurin series?

The accuracy of the radius of convergence determined using a Maclaurin series depends on the function itself and the convergence test used. In general, the more terms included in the series, the more accurate the radius of convergence will be. However, even with an infinite number of terms, the radius of convergence may not be exact for some functions.