Please Stop comparing everything with Adolf Hitler

• News
  • Thread starter jaap de vries
  • Start date
In summary, the OP observed that anti-abortion protesters compare abortion to the Holocaust, and the pope remained silent during World War II. He believes that comparisons are made when people can't prove their original argument. He recommends people read a book called Garden of the Beasts.
It's surprising how the allies get off so lightly when discussing attrocities during world war 2. Russia's behaviour was on a par with the worst excesses of Hitler's regime. They killed an estimated 2 million fleeing German civilians in the final push towards Berlin alone.

Apart from the millions of German prisoners who were summarily executed or literally worked to death in eastern prison camps, they also treated their own liberated prisoners as badly. Many of these 5.4 million Russians were shot out of hand or died in labor camps and many had been handed over to the Russians by the western allies in full knowledge of the fate that awaited them.

The British were hardly innocent either with the government indulging 'Bomber' Harris in his desire to obliterate his list of 50 major German cities. This continued long after any pretence of it's being for military purposes was ended.

The US apart from providing bombers in support of Harris' blood lust also fire bombed Tokyo killing an estimated 120,000 civilians and dropped two nuclear bombs on cities killing a further 80,000 outright and many more through it's after effects.

It seems that at that time in world history there were no shortage of ruthless, merciless leaders to choose from with Stalin probably pipping Hitler as the worst of the bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it also happens because they are histroically recent and the most studied. We could compare a politician to Vlad the Impaler, but how many people are fimiliar with Bad old Vlad.

No, people don't compare politicians to Vlad the Impaler because they don't want to look like a moron calling someone a vampire.

yes I can see very clearly WHY the neo-conned do not like the comparison

BUT they keep useing his ideas or ideas he used

like the idea the corporate owned and controlled press and media are liberal

or that liberals are really commies at heart

or that the BIG LIE will work if said with conviction

Pengwuino said:
I think people use comparisons when they can't prove their original argument just doesn't cut it.
People use comparisons to help explain their point of view, when the person they are explaining it to obviously don't understand.

Manchot said:
No, people don't compare politicians to Vlad the Impaler because they don't want to look like a moron calling someone a vampire.

You seem to have fiction and history confused.

In an odd way Hitler and the Nazi's set themselves up to be used as comparisons. They kept very precise records and made miles and miles of film footage. Most of those records were found intact at the end of the war.

It wsn't until the advent of cable television and special interest programming that the information became widely broadcast.

At the end of the cold war the Russians gave us tons of info and film that we had not seen. The Hitler /Nazi programming took off on another boom that still hasn't ended.

Recently PBS and The History Channel have been showing a lot of programs describing verbaly and with film footage how Hitler and his henchmen came to power.
Just last night ,for instance, THC aired a documentary that went into detail about Herman Goering.

People tend to comapre things with something that is recent in their minds, and the current Hitler Nazi programming keeps it that way.

Last edited:
Smurf said:
If I'd been around when this thread was created I would've immediately jumped in with a "Godwin's Law! jaap de vries Loses!".

tsk tsk.

If I was around in the early 20th century I would have 'jumped' in with the theory of relativity!

:yuck: