Integral using substitution/parts

• Thread starter jamesbob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation focused on solving integrals using integration by parts or substitution. One specific example was given, \int 4x^3\tan^-1xdx, where the latex for \tan^-1x was discussed. The conversation also touched on techniques such as partial fractions and polynomial long division for solving integrals. Another topic discussed was finding the general and particular solutions for a given differential equation.
jamesbob
We've been focusing on integration by parts or by substitution and i can't figure some out:

[tex] \int 4x^3\tan^-1xdx [/tex] Here [tex]\tan^-1x[/tex] means inverse tanx. I can't get the latex right for it.

my working so far:

[tex] By parts,
u = \tan^-1x , \frac{dv}{dx} = 4x^3,
\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{1 + x^2}, v = \frac{4x^4}{4} = x^4

\Rightarrow x^4\tan^-1 - \int\frac{x^4}{1 + x^2} [/tex]

It's the Integral [tex]\int\frac{x^4}{1 + x^2}[/tex] that i can't do ?The one I'm completely stuck on how to even start is:

Find the general solution x(t) of the differential equation

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{t^2 + 3t + 5}{t^2 + 6t +34} [/tex]

and the particular solution for which x(-3) = 0.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PS. how do you leave spaces in Latex, ie.

"By parts" instead of "Byparts" ?

jamesbob said:
We've been focusing on integration by parts or by substitution and i can't figure some out:

[tex] \int 4x^3\tan^-1xdx [/tex] Here [tex]\tan^-1x[/tex] means inverse tanx. I can't get the latex right for it.

my working so far:

[tex] By parts,
u = \tan^-1x , \frac{dv}{dx} = 4x^3,
\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{1 + x^2}, v = \frac{4x^4}{4} = x^4

\Rightarrow x^4\tan^-1 - \int\frac{x^4}{1 + x^2} [/tex]

It's the Integral [tex]\int\frac{x^4}{1 + x^2}[/tex] that i can't do ?
You may wat to try some Polynomial long division.
Remember that, if you are about to integrate something like:
[tex]\int \frac{P_1(x)}{P_2(x)} dx[/tex], where P1(x), and P2(x) are polynomials.
If the degree of the numerator (i.e P1(x)) is lower than the degree of the denominator (i.e P2(x)), you can use partial fraction, and then integrate it.
If the degree of the numerator (i.e P1(x)) is higher than or equal to the degree of the denominator (i.e P2(x)), you should try Polynomial long division first to split it to:
[tex]\int \frac{P_1(x)}{P_2(x)} dx = \int \left( Q(x) + \frac{P_3(x)}{P_2(x)} \right) dx[/tex], Now the degree of P3(x) is clearly lower than the degree of P2(x). You then you can try to Partial fraction it, and then integrate that.
Can you go from here?
The one I'm completely stuck on how to even start is:

Find the general solution x(t) of the differential equation

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{t^2 + 3t + 5}{t^2 + 6t +34}[/tex]

and the particular solution for which x(-3) = 0.

Can anyone help?
[tex]\Rightarrow dx = \frac{t^2 + 3t + 5}{t^2 + 6t +34} dt[/tex]
Now integrate both sides gives:
[tex]\int dx = \int \frac{t^2 + 3t + 5}{t^2 + 6t +34} dt[/tex]
[tex]x = \int \frac{t^2 + 3t + 5}{t^2 + 6t +34} dt[/tex].
Don't forget the constant of integration, C.
After integrating that, you can use the fact that x(-3) = 0 to find C.
Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
jamesbob said:
PS. how do you leave spaces in Latex, ie.

"By parts" instead of "Byparts" ?
You may want to try something like:
\mbox{blah... blah... blah...}
or:
\textit{blah... blah... blah...}
Example:
1. [tex]\mbox{By parts}[/tex]
2. [tex]\textit{By parts}[/tex]
3. [tex]By parts[/tex]
You can click on any LaTeX image to see its code.
\mbox{blah... blah... blah...} will display exactly what you want in normal type, while \textit{blah... blah... blah...} will display exactly what you want in italics.
If you don't use any of them, then it will display everything in italics but spaces.
You may want to have a glance here:
Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting (it's in Math & Science Tutorials board, the first board from the top). There are 3 guides in PDF. Let's have a look at them.

Cheers!

When doing the polynomial division i got

[tex](x^2 - 1) + \frac{1}{x^2 + 1}[/tex]

Is this correct. If so, what's the rule for applying partial fractions to an irreducible again? i.e. we have

[tex]x^2 + 1 [/tex] so [tex]x^2 = -1 [/tex]

wait if this is correct then i don't need partial fractions as

[tex]\int\frac{1}{1 + x^2} = tan^{-1}x [/tex] right?

VietDao29 said:
[tex]\Rightarrow dx = \frac{t^2 + 3t + 5}{t^2 + 6t +34} dt[/tex]
Now integrate both sides gives:
[tex]\int dx = \int \frac{t^2 + 3t + 5}{t^2 + 6t +34} dt[/tex]
[tex]x = \int \frac{t^2 + 3t + 5}{t^2 + 6t +34} dt[/tex].
Don't forget the constant of integration, C.
After integrating that, you can use the fact that x(-3) = 0 to find C.
Can you go from here? :)

Is it possible to integrate the function? If not, how do you plug the x(-3) in?

jamesbob said:
Cheers!

When doing the polynomial division i got

[tex](x^2 - 1) + \frac{1}{x^2 + 1}[/tex]

Is this correct. If so, what's the rule for applying partial fractions to an irreducible again? i.e. we have

[tex]x^2 + 1 [/tex] so [tex]x^2 = -1 [/tex]
No, you cannot use partial fraction on that.
Your denominator is (x2 + 1), it cannot be factored any further.
For short, if your denominator is a product of some polynomials of degree 2 or 1, you can use partial fraction. Note that every polynimial can be factored to be the product of some polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2.
----------------
[tex]\int\frac{1}{1 + x^2} = tan^{-1}x [/tex]
Correct, [tex]\int\frac{dx}{1 + x^2} = \arctan x + C [/tex]
Don't forget dx, and +C.
----------------
Is it possible to integrate the function? If not, how do you plug the x(-3) in?
Yes, it is. It's possible to integrate that. Now the degree of the numerator is equal to the degree of the denominator, what should you do first? (Hint: Polynomial division).
From there, I think you can solve the problem.
I'll give you an example:
-----------------
Example 1:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x ^ 2 + 2x + 3} = \int \frac{dx}{(x + 1) ^ 2 + 2}[/tex]
Use u-substitution:
u = x + 1 => du = dx
We have:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{(x + 1) ^ 2 + 2} = \int \frac{du}{u ^ 2 + (\sqrt{2}) ^ 2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \arctan \left( \frac{u}{\sqrt{2}} \right) + C[/tex]. Change u back to x, we have:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x ^ 2 + 2x + 3} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \arctan \left( \frac{x + 1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) + C[/tex]
---------------
Example 2:
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx[/tex]
Take the derivative of the denominator with respect to x, we have:
(x2 + x + 3)' = 2x + 1.
Now:
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{2x}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{2x + 1 - 1}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{2x + 1}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx - \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx[/tex]
To integrate this:
[tex]\int \frac{2x + 1}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx[/tex]
Let u = x2 + x + 3, that means du = 2x + 1 dx, so we have:
[tex]\int \frac{du}{u} = \ln |u| + C = \ln|x ^ 2 + x + 3| + C = \ln(x ^ 2 + x + 3) + C[/tex], we can drop the absolute value because: x2 + x + 3 > 0, for all x.
To integrate:
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx = \int \frac{dx}{\left(x + \frac{1}{2} \right) ^ 2 + \frac{11}{4}}[/tex]. Now do as example 1, let u = x + 1 / 2, we have:
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx = \frac{2}{\sqrt{11}} \arctan \left( 2 \times \frac{u}{\sqrt{11}} \right) + C = \frac{2}{\sqrt{11}} \arctan \left( 2 \times \frac{x + \frac{1}{2}}{\sqrt{11}} \right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{2}{\sqrt{11}} \arctan \left( \frac{2x + 1}{\sqrt{11}} \right) + C[/tex].
So we have:
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x ^ 2 + x + 3} dx = \frac{1}{2} \ln(x ^ 2 + x + 3) - \frac{1}{2} \times \frac{2}{\sqrt{11}} \arctan \left( \frac{2x + 1}{\sqrt{11}} \right) + C[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2} \ln(x ^ 2 + x + 3) - \frac{1}{\sqrt{11}} \arctan \left( \frac{2x + 1}{\sqrt{11}} \right) + C[/tex]
Now let's see if you can work out that integral. :)

Last edited:

What is the concept of integration using substitution?

Integration using substitution is a technique used to solve integrals by substituting a new variable for the original variable in the integrand. This allows for the integral to be rewritten in a simpler form that can be easily solved.

How do you determine which substitution to use?

The substitution used in integration depends on the integrand. Generally, a substitution should be chosen to make the integral simpler or to reduce it to a known form. Some common substitutions include using trigonometric identities, u-substitution, and integration by parts.

What is the difference between integration by substitution and integration by parts?

Integration by substitution involves substituting a new variable for the original variable in the integrand, while integration by parts involves splitting the integrand into two parts and using the product rule of differentiation to solve the integral. Both techniques have their own advantages and can be used in different situations.

Can substitution be used for all integrals?

No, substitution cannot be used for all integrals. Some integrals may require other techniques such as partial fractions or trigonometric substitution. It is important to carefully analyze the integrand and choose the appropriate method for solving the integral.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using substitution in integration?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute back in the original variable after solving the integral. It is also important to choose the right substitution and to properly simplify the integral before solving. Another mistake is to use substitution in integrals that require other techniques, as mentioned in the previous answer.