Remote Access over LAN: Find the Best Solution for XP Pro

• Thread starter 600burger
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is asking for recommendations for remote access software in order to control their PVR, which is hidden from sight and difficult to access. They mention trying the built-in remote access software for Windows XP, but it is not suitable for their set up. They ask if anyone has used a program like this and receive a recommendation for VNC.
600burger
Hi all,
I've recentlly built a PVR and I'm having a lot of fun with it...except when I have to "tweak" it. It hidden from sight which makes getting to the keyboard and mouse a chore. I've heard of remote access softwares that allow you to take total control of a system. I also tried out the windows xp built in one, but it seems to be only for a server/client set up (and the PVR is running XP Pro).

My question is if anyone has heard of, seen, or used a program like this.

-Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org

There are several options for remote access over LAN for XP Pro. One popular option is TeamViewer, which allows you to access and control a remote computer from another device. It is user-friendly and offers features such as file transfer and online meetings. Another option is Remote Desktop Connection, which is a built-in feature of XP Pro. It allows you to remotely connect to another computer and access its desktop as if you were sitting in front of it. However, this feature may require some additional configuration and may not work on all networks. Other options include LogMeIn and VNC (Virtual Network Computing). It is important to research and compare these options to find the best solution for your specific needs and network setup.

What is remote access over LAN?

Remote access over LAN (Local Area Network) is the ability to connect to and access a computer or network remotely from another location on the same network. This allows users to access files, applications, and resources on a different computer without physically being in the same location.

What are the benefits of remote access over LAN?

Remote access over LAN offers several benefits including increased productivity, flexibility, and cost savings. It allows users to work from anywhere, collaborate with colleagues in different locations, and access important files and applications without the need for physical travel. It also eliminates the need for additional hardware or software, thus saving money.

What is the best solution for remote access over LAN for XP Pro?

The best solution for remote access over LAN for XP Pro is Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection (RDC). This built-in feature allows users to connect to another computer on the same network and access its resources. It is secure, easy to set up, and offers a seamless experience for remote users.

Is remote access over LAN secure?

Remote access over LAN can be secure if proper measures are taken. It is important to use strong passwords, enable firewalls, and limit access to authorized users only. Additionally, using a virtual private network (VPN) can add an extra layer of security for remote access over LAN.

What are the potential risks of remote access over LAN?

The potential risks of remote access over LAN include security breaches, data theft, and unauthorized access to sensitive information. It is important to have proper security measures in place and regularly update and monitor the remote access system to mitigate these risks.