I keep dreaming of my parent's place

• Thread starter plum
  • Start date
In summary, it seems like your subconscious is trying to tell you something about your past. You may want to consider revisiting your time at home.
plum
Well over half the dreams I have are set at my parent's place, which is the original home where I was raised. But I haven't lived there in 14 years. Anyone else experience this? What is my unconscious telling me? That I need to get in closer touch with them? Or is it just that my first 17 years were my most formative, so my unconscious keeps returning to those years like a boomerang?

Physics news on Phys.org
plum said:
Well over half the dreams I have are set at my parent's place, which is the original home where I was raised. But I haven't lived there in 14 years. Anyone else experience this? What is my unconscious telling me? That I need to get in closer touch with them? Or is it just that my first 17 years were my most formative, so my unconscious keeps returning to those years like a boomerang?
Don't bother to try to find any deep significance in this either way. That's the crackpot way of thinking (like Freud's ideas).

Just accept that most human affairs&concerns are too darn complicated to say anything scientific about.

plum said:
I have periods when I have a lot of dreams all centered around the same place from my past. In my case I know there's no deep "meaning" to figure out: it's clear I just wish I were back there in that circumstance because I had something there I don't have where I am. In your case I'd bet what's prompting these dreams is that you are missing something about your time there you don't have anymore in your present circumstances.

I've had instances of dreaming of the same place over and over again. They're always somewhat fictional though. Even when I dream of places from my past they are always completely different in my dream than from what they really looked like in reality. The one that I have dreamt about the most is completely fictitious. It's also very extremely beautiful. If I ever found a real place like it I think that I would want to live there.

plum said:

I would guess that you have been thinking about your home, or that something is reminding you of it, even if you haven't noticed. But consider yourself lucky. For years I dreamt about being attacked by a big wicker chair. And to this day you won't catch me near one of those evil things.

:biggrin:

1. Why do I keep dreaming of my parent's place?

Dreams are a reflection of your subconscious mind and can often be influenced by your memories and emotions. If you spent a significant amount of time at your parent's place, it is possible that it holds a special place in your mind and appears in your dreams as a result.

2. What does it mean when I dream of my parent's place?

Dreams can have multiple interpretations and there is no one definitive meaning. However, dreaming of your parent's place could symbolize feelings of nostalgia, comfort, or a desire for a sense of security and familiarity in your life.

3. Is dreaming of my parent's place a sign of missing them?

Dreams are not always literal and should not be taken as such. While it is possible that dreaming of your parent's place could indicate a longing for them, it could also represent other emotions or experiences that are associated with that place.

4. Can dreaming of my parent's place be a form of therapy?

Some researchers believe that dreams can help us process and make sense of our emotions and experiences. In this sense, dreaming of your parent's place could be a way for your mind to work through any unresolved feelings or memories associated with that place.

5. How can I stop dreaming of my parent's place if it makes me uncomfortable?

There is no guaranteed way to control what you dream about. However, practicing relaxation techniques before bed, such as deep breathing or meditation, may help reduce stress and promote more positive dreams. It may also be helpful to talk to a therapist about any underlying issues that may be causing discomfort in your dreams.