Mac development w/ XCode and C#

• C#
  • Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac
In summary, Apple's Xcode tools allow you to create basic programs in C#. You can use Interface Builder to create user interfaces.
aychamo
Hey guys..

I wanted to tool around in developing some very simple, basic programs for my Mac using Apple's XCode and C#.

I have a little backgrouund in computer programming. I unfortunately learned via Pascal, but did pascal for at least six years and then moved on to Delphi. I even worked one summer for a local company as a programmer and we developed a medical software billing application (which was a complete POS).

Anyway. I know a little C. Like I know the basic syntax, etc. But I never got the whole thing about using pointers for strings or char*[] or whatever. I loved Delphi's IDE where you would put a button, and double click the button to write the code for it.

Obviously things have changed in these past 7 years or so.. :)

Now I load XCode, and I finally figureed out how to get Interface Builder to load up, and I couldn't figure out where to link code to a button, until I found the Inspector, and I think you have to bind it? Do you just write a function in the main.h file and then somehow link it?

And I saw some tutorial on C# and it accessed stuff weird, like putting everything in brackets [] [] [], etc. Like how would you access a text field in C# using XCode? I have no idea where to start..

Does anyone have any good links to tutorials, etc?

Thank you guys
Aychamo

Technology news on Phys.org
Apple's Xcode Tools don't include C#, which is a Microsoft thing.

Apple's compiler is GCC 4.0, which includes C, C++ and Objective-C. You can also use Java, of course. Searching Apple's developer Web site for "C#" turns up only references to the Windows QuickTime interface, and some musical notes in MIDI-related stuff.

Last edited:
Ooooops :) I was so ignorant, I put C# instead of Objective C! lol. I found a lot of decent docs on their webpage, so I've been trying to read those to learn some things.

1) What is XCode and how is it used for Mac development?

XCode is an integrated development environment (IDE) used for developing applications for Apple's macOS, iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and tvOS. It includes a suite of tools for creating, debugging, and testing code, as well as a graphical user interface designer. XCode is primarily used for coding in languages such as C++, Objective-C, and Swift, but also supports the use of C# through the Xamarin plug-in.

2) Can I use C# for Mac development with XCode?

Yes, it is possible to use C# for Mac development with XCode through the use of the Xamarin plug-in. Xamarin is a cross-platform development tool that allows developers to use C# to create native apps for iOS, macOS, Android, and Windows.

3) What are the benefits of using C# for Mac development with XCode?

One of the main benefits of using C# for Mac development with XCode is the ability to write code once and deploy it to multiple platforms. This saves time and resources as developers do not have to create separate code bases for each platform. Additionally, C# is a popular and well-supported language, making it easier to find resources and support for development.

4) Are there any limitations to using C# for Mac development with XCode?

While C# is a powerful and versatile language, there are some limitations to using it for Mac development with XCode. One limitation is that not all features and libraries available in other languages (such as Swift or Objective-C) may be supported in C#. Additionally, the use of C# requires the installation of the Xamarin plug-in, which may add an extra layer of complexity to the development process.

5) How can I get started with Mac development using XCode and C#?

To get started with Mac development using XCode and C#, you will need to have a Mac computer and install XCode from the App Store. Then, you will need to install the Xamarin plug-in for XCode. Once everything is set up, you can start coding in C# using XCode and the Xamarin plug-in. There are also numerous online resources and tutorials available to help you learn and improve your skills in Mac development with C# and XCode.