American is a language sepearte from english.

In summary: whatever it is you're drinking."I don't think I could think of something more illogical than that right off the top of my head... WHY would you want to make your own language in those circumstances?
scott1
On this therd there is some disscussion of American being it's seperte language form English on this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=115377".I think that disscussion whould be getting more of topic if I posted anything more about it so I decide to create this theard.
Reasons why American should be sepreate form English (this in not in oder):
1)American and the British have differn't words:Have you ever herd a Briton say "Yo","Y'all"(It's a word in an officaly American dialic) or an American calling bathroom a "lou"(Can someone please explain why it's called a Lou in British english)?Probally not unless on some occusions but it's not apart of the everday vocbalry.
2)They both have diffent ways to use an insult:Britons when they insult [insert noun here] they say "bloody [insert noun here]"!Americans use more offensive words(Note:this is for much more severe occasions) $@3$#%#@%#%#@@!@#%#$%#^#$%^#W%#^#$(No I didn't type a word in and the censership is blocking it) [insert noun here]!
3)Patriotism:We fought a war for independence from Briton and we still speak there language?Our language should seperte just like the the country
4)English words that is from American Teenager,blizzard etc. are words form the United States which means that American is it's own language since it has it's own words
5)American words that aren't used anywhere elses: fall, the season; to quit are no longer used outside of the U.S. which means that American has it's own words.
Use of Singular and plural for nouns:In British English a briton would say "the team are worried" but in American eglish "The team is worred"
6)NumbersWhen saying or writing out numbers, the British will insert an "and" before the tens and units, as in "one hundred and sixty-two" and "two thousand and three", whereas Americans will typically drop the "and" as in "two thousand three"; however, "two thousand and three" is also common. The same rule applies when saying numbers in their thousands or millions: "four hundred and thirteen thousand" would be said by a British speaker, whereas the simpler "four hundred thirteen thousand" by an American speaker.(source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...rences#Words_mainly_used_in_American_English")
Ok those are the reasons why it should a seperte language.Here are some chages I think should be made to American:
1)Spelling of "Donuts" should be chaged back to "Doughnuts"
2)We should make spell words differtntly to make it easier
3)Indtead of saying "There 10 gourps of 3" we say "There are 3 x10 gourps"(similer to secientific notation)

Does anyone elese of have any recomendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Mak the Amerikan alfabet šorter!

ABDEFGHIKLMNOPRSTVWYZ

and tern al 'ph's into 'f's, al 'sh's into 'š's. Git rid of al silent vowels...and eckstra leters lik 'ee'. And chéng spelings of most werds...

I think we had a thred lik this awil bak...

My recommendation is that you first need to spend much more time learning "American." :uhh:

- Warren

yomamma said:
I think we had a thred lik this awil bak...
¿awr u sur?

Scott, since you've spelt it incorrectly every time you've used the word, and since this thread is about language and spelling, I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the word is "thread" not "therd." :wink:

I told him that before, I didn't think he believed me

I feel sick...

O yeah, derailing topic in 3..2...1...

I got a question:

Why are the Britsh offended by the index and middle fingers (V symbol), while Americans are offended by just the middle finger?

I think i'll start giving people the pinky finger, just to change.

Last edited:
3)Patriotism:We fought a war for independence from Briton and we still speak there language?Our language should seperte just like the the country

I don't think I could think of something more illogical than that right off the top of my head... WHY would you want to make your own language in those circumstances?

moose said:
I don't think I could think of something more illogical than that right off the top of my head... WHY would you want to make your own language in those circumstances?

I can think of more illogical things ... but that's because i have a pretty good imagination!

That is a pretty weeeeeeeeeeeird reason to change your language.

dduardo said:
O yeah, derailing topic in 3..2...1...

I got a question:

Why are the Britsh offended by the index and middle fingers (V symbol), while Americans are offended by just the middle finger?

I think i'll start giving people the pinky finger, just to change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_finger :biggrin:

This are the fununyest therd I hev evver readed in some while. Et has gort to be some kind of joke? My favorite part:
Indtead of saying "There 10 gourps of 3" we say "There are 3 x10 gourps"
"Hey Clem, I got me three times ten gourps of fish!"

Didn't Webster change a lot of English words to make them more "American"?

Smasherman said:
Didn't Webster change a lot of English words to make them more "American"?
As I recall, he intended to go even further; I think he tried to drop all the spurious gh's from the language (light, bright, daughter, laughter, slaughter). He was beaten back, and all he managed was dropping a couple of u's here and there (colour) and de-frenching words like centre. (Yet "table" remains).

Must... not... get... involved!

brewnog said:
Must... not... get... involved!
I'm sorry. For patriotic reasons I can't understand a word you say.

scott1 said:
1)American and the British have differn't words:Have you ever herd a Briton say "Yo","Y'all"(It's a word in an officaly American dialic) or an American calling bathroom a "lou"(Can someone please explain why it's called a Lou in British english)?Probally not unless on some occusions but it's not apart of the everday vocbalry.

Why call it a bathroom if there is no bath in there? Some "loos" don't have baths in them.

2)They both have diffent ways to use an insult:Britons when they insult [insert noun here] they say "bloody [insert noun here]"!Americans use more offensive words(Note:this is for much more severe occasions) $@3$#%#@%#%#@@!@#%#$%#^#$%^#W%#^#$(No I didn't type a word in and the censership is blocking it) [insert noun here]!

Not all brits are "top-hole damn the bally blighters what what" Loads of people in Britain use much coarser language.

Because it's that easy to invent a new language. Or for everyone in the nation to just learn French or something. Americans, like the English also fought civil wars, so does that mean that there should be separate languages too.

Also we aren't really that separate seeing as we are close allies...

4)English words that is from American Teenager,blizzard etc. are words form the United States which means that American is it's own language since it has it's own words

Is that an argument? Most the words you have used to type this thread are English not "American". Some language if all you can say is "Gee y'all teenager blizzard". (No offence to the many Americans on PF)

5)American words that aren't used anywhere elses: fall, the season; to quit are no longer used outside of the U.S. which means that American has it's own words.

Lol, like "soccer". Gibraltarians speak a slang version of Spanish but it is still spanish, just some words are different. Argentinians speak an archaic spanish but it is still spanish. You can't call it a whole new language because you use a few different words.

Use of Singular and plural for nouns:In British English a briton would say "the team are worried" but in American eglish "The team is worred"
6)NumbersWhen saying or writing out numbers, the British will insert an "and" before the tens and units, as in "one hundred and sixty-two" and "two thousand and three", whereas Americans will typically drop the "and" as in "two thousand three"; however, "two thousand and three" is also common. The same rule applies when saying numbers in their thousands or millions: "four hundred and thirteen thousand" would be said by a British speaker, whereas the simpler "four hundred thirteen thousand" by an American speaker.(source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...rences#Words_mainly_used_in_American_English")
Ok those are the reasons why it should a seperte language.Here are some chages I think should be made to American:
1)Spelling of "Donuts" should be chaged back to "Doughnuts"
2)We should make spell words differtntly to make it easier
3)Indtead of saying "There 10 gourps of 3" we say "There are 3 x10 gourps"(similer to secientific notation)

Does anyone elese of have any recomendations?

OK, I give up. Have fun speaking American. :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm... you know I'm a bit bored with speaking english. I think I want to pick up some americanese. Like fo shizzle my nizzle, now just what in bloody hell does that mean any way?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Hmmmm... you know I'm a bit bored with speaking english. I think I want to pick up some americanese. Like fo shizzle my nizzle, now just what in bloody hell does that mean any way?
I couldn't tell you. It's still not clear to me what "My milkshake is the best in the yard." means, exactly.

zoobyshoe said:
I couldn't tell you. It's still not clear to me what "My milkshake is the best in the yard." means, exactly.
And just what is it that they want me to shake like a polaroid picture?

TheStatutoryApe said:
And just what is it that they want me to shake like a polaroid picture?
I can only speculate. But I don't want to.

1. What is the difference between American and English?

The main difference between American and English is that they are two distinct languages. While English originated in England, American, also known as American English, is a variation of the language that has evolved in the United States over time. American English has its own unique vocabulary, grammar rules, and pronunciation compared to British English.

2. How did American English develop as a separate language from English?

American English developed as a separate language from English due to the influences of different cultures and languages in the United States. When English settlers arrived in America, they brought their language with them, but over time, it was influenced by Native American languages, Spanish, and other European languages. Additionally, as America became more independent from England, the language evolved to reflect the cultural and societal changes in the country.

3. Are there any regional differences in American English?

Yes, there are regional differences in American English. Just like in any other language, different regions in the United States have their own unique dialects and accents. For example, the English spoken in the southern states may differ from the English spoken in the northeastern states. These regional differences can include variations in vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar.

4. Can American English speakers understand British English speakers?

Yes, American English speakers can generally understand British English speakers, and vice versa. While there are some differences in vocabulary and pronunciation, the two languages are still very similar and share the same roots. However, there may be some instances where slang or colloquialisms used in one language may not be easily understood by speakers of the other language.

5. Is American English the most widely spoken language in the United States?

No, Spanish is actually the most widely spoken language in the United States after English. However, American English is still the official language of the country and is spoken by the majority of the population. The use of Spanish and other languages in the US is a reflection of the diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds of its inhabitants.