A question about a nonlinear oscillator

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of numerical integration and the analytical method of two-timing to study a nonlinear oscillator with the equation x''(t) + e(x'(t)^3) + x(t) = 0, where e<<1. The speaker has found that using a small value for e leads to a limit cycle, but when using a larger value, the system eventually decays to zero. They also mention using a matrix of the form e^At for numerical integration, but this only gives results for the linear system. The conversation ends with a suggestion to write critical parts in C to speed up the process in Matlab.
pendulum
:yuck: I numerically integrate the following nonlinear oscillator:
x''(t) + e (x'(t)^3) + x(t) = 0 , where e<<1
and what I get is a limit cycle.
The energy derivative appears to be negative , which means that
x(t) approaches zero while t approaches infinity.
I also used the analytical method of two-timing, and the first asymptotic term x0(t) does approach zero for large t.
( The algorithm for the numerical integration is Runge-Kutta4. It's unlikely to have written it incorrectly.)
So where am I wrong?
Is it possible there is a limit cycle after all?

Physics news on Phys.org
What value of e did you use?

I used 1e-3 and Matlab (stiff solver ode15s) showed oscillatory motion until approximately t=7000, then decay to zero.

What you've got is an almost linear system.

The eigenvalues (of the linear stability analysis) are imaginary - so you would expect limit cycle behaviour. However, the nonlinear part eventually drives your system.

(It is almost linear because e is small.)

I used e=0.3 which is not that small.
So I dropped the R-K4, and used a matrix of the form e^At for the numerical integration, and the system did fade out.
So I guessed that R-K4 was to accurate for this case. At least for the times 'I could reach'. You see I've been running the integration in matlab, but I've not learned to use ode's yet. So the procedure was very slow (even for t=0:200).
(I find it quite inconvenient that Matlab is so slow in loops.)

Anyway thanks. I think I get your point. The non-linearity reveals itself after a long time in the particular system.

This is completely off-topic, but when I'm confronted with a bottleneck in Matlab, I always write the critical parts in C and then call it as MEX file. This usually speeds up things by orders of magnitude.

Thank you Tantoblin.

pendulum said:
I used e=0.3 which is not that small.
So I dropped the R-K4, and used a matrix of the form e^At for the numerical integration, and the system did fade out.
...but looking at [tex]e^{At}[/tex] will only give you results for the linear system (+ something about transients of the full nonlinear system)

I am not sure whether I understand what you mean, but the A in the e^At wasn't stable (or linear if better).

pendulum said:
I am not sure whether I understand what you mean, but the A in the e^At wasn't stable (or linear if better).
You'll only see the limit cycle behaviour by looking at the matrix exponentials...

ie. From the purely complex eigenvalues of the linearised system given by A.

iie. if the nonlinearity kicks in (for any e), you won't see it.

1. What is a nonlinear oscillator?

A nonlinear oscillator is a type of physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior, meaning it moves back and forth between two states. However, unlike a linear oscillator, the motion of a nonlinear oscillator is not directly proportional to the restoring force.

2. How does a nonlinear oscillator differ from a linear oscillator?

A linear oscillator follows Hooke's Law, which states that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. In contrast, a nonlinear oscillator does not follow this relationship and can exhibit more complex behavior.

3. What are some real-world examples of nonlinear oscillators?

Nonlinear oscillators can be found in many natural and man-made systems, such as pendulums, musical instruments, and electrical circuits. Other examples include the motion of a swinging pendulum, a bouncing ball, and the vibration of a guitar string.

4. How are nonlinear oscillators studied in science?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations to describe the behavior of nonlinear oscillators. These models can help predict how the system will behave under different conditions and can also be used to design and control oscillatory systems in engineering applications.

5. What are some practical applications of nonlinear oscillators?

Nonlinear oscillators have many practical applications, such as in electronic devices, where they are used to generate stable oscillations for timing and signal processing. They are also used in engineering, biology, and physics to model and understand complex systems and phenomena.