How to Calculate Acceleration of a Proton in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses two homework questions that the individual does not understand due to their teacher rushing through material. They mention needing an equation to solve the problems and ask for an explanation or help. The questions involve a proton moving in a magnetic field and the individual has not covered the necessary equation in class. They receive further help from the textbook and are able to solve the problems correctly.
tmth
I've got two homework questions I don't really understand. Coming to the end of the year so my teacher is rushing through things and forgetting to give us all the notes we need..
I think I need an equation to solve both of em, but I don't know what. Help/an explanation on how to do the problem is greatly appreciated. ^_^

#1) A proton moves at right angles to a magnetic field of .124 T with a speed of 2.3x10^7 m/s. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the proton.

#2) A proton moves eastward in the plane of Earth's magnetic equator so that its distance from the ground remains constant. Assume the Earth's magnetic field at the equator is 3.23 x 10^-5 T. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the speed of the proton?

Physics news on Phys.org
tmth said:
I've got two homework questions I don't really understand. Coming to the end of the year so my teacher is rushing through things and forgetting to give us all the notes we need..
I think I need an equation to solve both of em, but I don't know what. Help/an explanation on how to do the problem is greatly appreciated. ^_^

#1) A proton moves at right angles to a magnetic field of .124 T with a speed of 2.3x10^7 m/s. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the proton.

#2) A proton moves eastward in the plane of Earth's magnetic equator so that its distance from the ground remains constant. Assume the Earth's magnetic field at the equator is 3.23 x 10^-5 T. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the speed of the proton?

Have you covered [itex] {\vec F} = q {\vec v} \times {\vec B}[/itex]? That is all that is needed (this equation means that the *direction* is given by the right hand rule and the *magnitude* of the force is the absolute value of the charge times v B sin (theta) where theta is the angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field. This is all you need.

@_@ Haven't covered that.

tmth said:
@_@ Haven't covered that.
Then it is very strange that he expects you to do those problems if you haven't even seen the basic equation needed! I unfortunately don't have the time right now to explain it in details. You shoudl look at your textbook, I am sure they show examples!

Well, the problems come from an online problem set, and my teacher doesn't really look at the specific problems. And it *is* optional, but I want to do it to help my grade...
I got em right, with further help from the textbook. Thank you!

1. What is a proton in a magnetic field?

A proton in a magnetic field refers to the behavior and movement of a proton particle when placed in the presence of a magnetic field. This interaction is due to the intrinsic magnetic dipole moment of the proton, which causes it to experience a force in the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a proton?

A magnetic field affects a proton by exerting a force on it, causing it to move in a circular or helical path. The strength and direction of this force depend on the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, as well as the velocity and charge of the proton.

3. What is the relationship between a proton's charge and its movement in a magnetic field?

The movement of a proton in a magnetic field is directly related to its charge. As a positively charged particle, the proton experiences a force in the direction perpendicular to both its velocity and the magnetic field. This force causes the proton to move in a circular or helical path, depending on the angle between its velocity and the magnetic field.

4. Can a proton's movement in a magnetic field be manipulated?

Yes, a proton's movement in a magnetic field can be manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field. This can be done using electromagnets or by adjusting the position of the proton within the magnetic field. Scientists use this manipulation to study the properties of protons and other particles.

5. What applications does the behavior of a proton in a magnetic field have?

The behavior of a proton in a magnetic field has many applications, including medical imaging, particle accelerators, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. Understanding the movement of protons in a magnetic field is also crucial in fields such as astrophysics and plasma physics.