Solving Relativity Theory Probability Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses probability questions, specifically regarding the likelihood of certain events occurring. These events include the possibility of damaged goods during transportation, the probability of massage delivery, and the distribution of individuals reaching a certain level. The participants also mention their attempts at solving the problems, including using binomial probability and Poisson distribution. However, some of the numbers involved in the questions make it difficult to apply these methods.
-=nobody=-
probability questions

I have some tasks and I don't know how should I solve them.

1) During transporting 3% percent of the goods get damaged. What is the possibility that among 6 chosen goods there will be
a) only one damaged
b) at least one damaged

2) The probability that a massage won't de delivered is 0,2. I have to find a probibility that among 400 masages
a) 90 will be delivered
b) no more then 50 won't be delivered

3) The probability of reaching the second level is 0,8 for the first person and 0,7 for the second. [ksi] is the number of people who reached the second level. I have to find the law of the distribution for [ksi].

P.S. sorry for my English

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just out of curiosity, was there any reason for titling this "relativity theory"? Did you think more people would read than if you titled it "probability questions"?

In any case, you should have already read the regulations: show us that you have made some attempt on these problems yourself. They look to me like basic applications of the binomial probability formula.

Well, I,ve just solved the third one.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2940/relat5ia.jpg

For the second I tried to use Poisson distribution but the numbers are too large to use it. Binomial probability doesn't help me too because the numbers are larger then 30.

In the first I don't even know how to start because we have percents there. I know a very good formulae but I can't use it here.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/247/relat13mw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is relativity theory?

Relativity theory is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century to explain the relationship between space and time. It encompasses two theories: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial frames and includes the effects of gravity.

2. How is probability involved in relativity theory?

In relativity theory, probability is used to describe the likelihood of certain events occurring in a given space-time scenario. This is particularly important in special relativity, where the concept of simultaneity and the relativity of time can affect the probability of events happening at the same time in different frames of reference.

3. What are some common types of relativity theory probability questions?

Some common types of relativity theory probability questions include calculating the probability of two events happening simultaneously in different frames of reference, determining the probability of a particle's position or velocity in special relativity, and using the laws of general relativity to predict the probability of certain gravitational effects.

4. How do scientists use relativity theory to solve probability questions?

Scientists use mathematical equations and principles from relativity theory to solve probability questions. These equations take into account the effects of time dilation, length contraction, and the relativity of simultaneity to accurately calculate the probability of events occurring in different frames of reference.

5. Why is it important to understand relativity theory probability questions?

Understanding relativity theory probability questions helps scientists make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles and objects in different frames of reference. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of relativity and their impact on the laws of physics. Additionally, many modern technologies, such as GPS systems, rely on the principles of relativity theory and understanding its probability questions is crucial for their development and accuracy.