Painting a Chess/Checker Board

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board
In summary, you can make a stencil to paint the black squares. The grid will cover 75% of the area of the board and it will be easier to paint the squares if you do it in two steps.
mattmns
Anyone ever do this? I am currently working on a project to paint a Chess/Checker Board onto my desk, but I am looking for some ideas on how to paint the actual pattern for the board. I have already sanded down the area of the desk, and am going to paint a 17" square area white (.5" boarder around with 2" squares). I then plan on painting the black squares over the white, sound OK? However, I am looking for ideas about the best way to paint the black squares. Any ideas there, comments?

Some things to keep in mind, I want every square to be the same size, so I can't just make an actual stencil of the board, and then paint over it, as (imo) I would need to cut out the squares, and they could end up going all over the place (because there will be nothing connecting the squares, since I want them all to be equal).
However, I was thinking about the idea of making an entire row and then I would actually be able to make it one nice piece, but I would then have to move the piece 7 times to actually finish the board, which, imo, is a reasonable option. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
how about you paint it in white, then draw a grid with a ruler, very neatly and then paint every second square in black? The last step is to show me a picture of a finished work ;)

I guess I should have said this in my original post, I am using spray paint. So I don't think I could paint every other square without covering the portions of white that are to not be painted. Thus I am trying to find the best method of covering the white squares.

Paint it white, then, use a computer-guided CO2 laser to burn in black squares in the correct positions. With lasers, you can be very precise.

mattmns said:
I want every square to be the same size, so I can't just make an actual stencil of the board, and then paint over it, as (imo) I would need to cut out the squares, and they could end up going all over the place (because there will be nothing connecting the squares, since I want them all to be equal).
You actually can make a stencil.

Your stencil is a grid made of 5 horizontal and 5 vertical strips, each 2" X 16", separated by 2". This grid will cover 75% of the area of the board.

First you paint the entire board white. Then you place the grid on it correctly, and paint in half of the black squares. Then you move your grid diagonally by one step and paint the other half of the black squares.

PS : Wait for the paint to dry between steps.

Do the one with the lasers! RAHGGG! LASERS!

Gokul43201 said:
You actually can make a stencil.

Your stencil is a grid made of 5 horizontal and 5 vertical strips, each 2" X 16", separated by 2". This grid will cover 75% of the area of the board.

First you paint the entire board white. Then you place the grid on it correctly, and paint in half of the black squares. Then you move your grid diagonally by one step and paint the other half of the black squares.

PS : Wait for the paint to dry between steps.
Awesome Idea! Thanks!

Correction : I believe those strips want to be 2" X 20"...but you can figure that out.

1. How do I choose the right colors for a chess/checker board?

The most common colors used for a chess/checker board are black and white. However, you can choose any two contrasting colors that you prefer. It is important to make sure that the colors you choose have a good contrast to allow for easy gameplay.

2. What are the dimensions of a standard chess/checker board?

A standard chess board usually has 64 squares, with each square measuring 2.25 inches. This makes the overall dimensions of the board about 18.5 inches by 18.5 inches. However, you can adjust the dimensions to your preference as long as the squares remain equal in size.

3. What type of paint should I use for a chess/checker board?

For a durable and long-lasting board, it is recommended to use acrylic paint. Acrylic paint is water-resistant and can withstand wear and tear from regular gameplay. It also comes in a wide variety of colors, making it easy to find the perfect shades for your board.

4. How do I create the perfect grid for the board?

To create a perfect grid, you can use a ruler and a pencil to measure and mark the lines on the board. Another option is to use painter's tape to create the grid lines. This will give you clean and straight lines and make it easier to paint the squares.

5. Is there a specific technique for painting a chess/checker board?

The best technique for painting a chess/checker board is to first paint the entire board with one color and let it dry completely. Then, use tape to create the grid lines and paint the alternate squares with the second color. Remove the tape while the paint is still wet for clean lines. Let the paint dry completely before using the board for gameplay.