Cell Phone Battery Terminal Oxidation: What's the Best Solution?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of battery terminal oxidation in cell phones and possible solutions for cleaning them. The participants suggest using brass and copper cleaner, as well as pencil erasers or steel wool. However, it is argued that these methods may damage the contact integrity and that using a bottle of Brasso, which is relatively inexpensive and lasts a long time, is a better option. Some participants mention not having access to Brasso and suggest using a pencil eraser as a quick fix.
eNtRopY
The number one failure mode in cell phones is battery terminal oxidation. If you visit a cell phone dealer, he/she will tell you that about once a year you should purchase another $40 battery. This is bullsh:t.

I have found the best solution for cleaning battery terminals while maintaining maximum electrical-contact integrity... brass and copper cleaner!

First, I tried using standard electrical terminal cleaner (which can be purchased at any auto parts), but through experiment, I have found that brass and copper cleaner seems to do a better job.

You can purchase brass and copper cleaner at just about any hardware store.

eNtRopY

Engineering news on Phys.org
i always just use and eraser head off a pencil to clean brass contacts, works great for me and its cheap

Pencil eraser has always worked good for my contact cleaning needs. Steel wool works good if you can get to the site with a piece of it.

Originally posted by megashawn
Pencil eraser has always worked good for my contact cleaning needs. Steel wool works good if you can get to the site with a piece of it.

Perhaps so, but you're degrading the integrity of the contact. When using steel wool, you are putting microscratches on the surface of the conductor. This will reduce the number of points where the two metal surfaces meet thereby reducing the conductance. Likewise, when you use an eraser head, you are inadvertently leaving a thin trail of insulating rubber on the surface of the contact which will also reduce the overall conductance.

Come on guys... a bottle of Brasso is only $3... that's not exactly going to break your bank. And how often do you normally use Brasso? I remember my parents had the same 8 oz bottle from the time I was four until they finally threw it away when I was in high school. I also remember watching the Price is Right as a kid and seeing the runners-up winners win lifetime supplies of the stuff... a whopping five bottles.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Perhaps so, but you're degrading the integrity of the contact. When using steel wool, you are putting microscratches on the surface of the conductor. This will reduce the number of points where the two metal surfaces meet thereby reducing the conductance. Likewise, when you use an eraser head, you are inadvertently leaving a thin trail of insulating rubber on the surface of the contact which will also reduce the overall conductance.

Come on guys... a bottle of Brasso is only $3... that's not exactly going to break your bank. And how often do you normally use Brasso? I remember my parents had the same 8 oz bottle from the time I was four until they finally threw it away when I was in high school. I also remember watching the Price is Right as a kid and seeing the runners-up winners win lifetime supplies of the stuff... a whopping five bottles.

eNtRopY

not everyone has a supply of the stuff laying around the house tho

and for a quick fix eraser heads do the job, hopefully everyone has a pencil

What is cell phone repair?

Cell phone repair is the process of fixing a damaged or malfunctioning cell phone. This can include replacing broken parts, fixing software issues, and resolving hardware problems.

Can I repair my cell phone myself?

It is not recommended to repair your cell phone yourself unless you have experience and knowledge working with electronics. Cell phones are complex devices and attempting repairs without proper training can cause further damage.

How much does cell phone repair cost?

The cost of cell phone repair varies depending on the type of repair needed and the model of the phone. On average, basic repairs can range from $50 to $200, while more extensive repairs can cost upwards of $300.

How long does cell phone repair take?

The length of time for cell phone repair depends on the type of repair needed and the availability of parts. Basic repairs can typically be done within a few hours, while more complex repairs may take a few days.

Is it worth repairing my cell phone or should I just buy a new one?

In most cases, it is more cost-effective to repair a cell phone rather than buy a new one. However, this ultimately depends on the extent of the damage and the age of the phone. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the best course of action.