Acetone from Nail Polish Remover?

• Thread starter xxMIKExx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acetone
In summary, acetone is found in most/all nail polish removers. It is a fairly pure substance and can be purchased relatively cheaply. There is no easy way to make acetone in the home lab. Be careful with the nitrocellulose as its highly flammable.
xxMIKExx
Acetone/nitrocellulose

Hello, I am new here at this forum and this is my first post. I searched everywhere for a method of extracting acetone out of nail polish remover and could not find an answer. Is there anyway to make or extract acetone. I need it to make nitrocellulose by putting pieces of ping pong balls into it. And finally do i really need to purify the acetone or can i simpely use nail polish remover by itself which is mostly acetone.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You should be able to find some brands of nail polish remover that are sold as "100% acetone" which is just acetone and fragrance. This is pretty pure. You can also purchase relatively pure acetone from hardware stores. There is no simple way to make acetone in the home lab. Be careful with the nitrocellulose as its highly flammable. Most nail polish removers that contain acetone (some contain ethyl acetate) should be fine for your purpose.

Last edited:
Are you sure you need to "extract" acetone?
Acetone is the main ingredient, if not the only ingredient, in most/[all?] nail polish removers. I would not think there would be much need to add extra ingredients too it (unless you want to mask the small or color it a pretty color [I have seen pink and blue nail polish remover before]). I think you should be able to use the acetone in the over the counter nail polish remover form.

Also, hardware/painting stores sell much bigger bottles of acetone than you would normally find sold as nail polish remover, and it is pretty reasonably priced.
I am not sure about the purity of the acetone used for painting, but it should not have too many impurities present.

Thanks for the help. I will try it as is and check the MSDS to see the percentage. If all fails i will try and buy some from a paint store or hardware store.

What is acetone and how is it related to nail polish remover?

Acetone is a colorless, flammable liquid that is commonly used as a solvent. It is the main ingredient in nail polish remover, which is used to remove nail polish from fingernails and toenails.

How is acetone extracted from nail polish remover?

Acetone is typically extracted from nail polish remover through a distillation process. This involves boiling the nail polish remover and then condensing the vapors to separate the acetone from the other ingredients.

Is acetone safe to use on nails?

Acetone is generally safe to use on nails, but it can cause dryness and irritation if used too frequently. It is important to use acetone-based nail polish remover in a well-ventilated area and to moisturize the nails and cuticles after use.

What are the potential hazards of using acetone from nail polish remover?

Acetone is a highly flammable substance and should be handled with caution. It can also irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Ingestion of acetone can be harmful and should be avoided.

Can acetone from nail polish remover be recycled or disposed of safely?

Acetone can be recycled through certain waste management facilities, but it should never be poured down the drain or disposed of in the regular trash. It is important to check with local guidelines for proper disposal methods.