Understanding Donald O. Hebb's Theory of Cell Assemblies

• Medical
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Theory
In summary, the idea is that if two neurons have a synaptic connection and they fire simultaneously, then that connection will be strengthened. However, if one neuron fires before the other, the synaptic strength may decrease.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just started reading about Donald O. Hebb and his theories about cell assemblies. I am stuck on something really simple. From what I have read, if two neurons have a synaptic connection and they fire simultaneously, then that connection will be strengthened. What I can't understand is this - if neuron A has a connection with neuron B...

Does neuron A fire and cause neuron B to fire, and then while neuron B is firing, neuron A is still firing and that makes it a simultaneous event?
A->B
Or does neuron C cause neuron A to fire while neuron D simultaneously causes neuron B to fire and that's what makes it a simultaneous event?
C->A
D->B
I hope I am making sense. Thanks for any help.

Biology news on Phys.org
nobody? well, nevermind. I think I got my answer today in class. I believe it's the latter idea.

your talking about Hebb's rule right?

The idea is "Neurons that fire together wire together"...however it means that if neuron A is connected to neuron B then if neuron A fires and then neuron B fires => the synaptic strength AB increases(either by myelin sheath or by # of synaptic knobs) however if the neuron B fires before neuron A(either nothing happens or the strength decreases). Note that neuron A may not be the sole cause of neuron B...for example given the letters you stated above. let's say A and C are both connected to B...A may be the weaker neuron but if it fires with C such that B receives both at the same time the AB will also increase.

Also I wouldn't neglect your 2nd example. They would resemble what NeuralNetwork literature calls Cooperation or Competition(inhibition). Hebb's rule is the simplest Rule and it might through Cellular Automaton theory create more complex rules such as the two mentioned previously.

Remember the brain is N-Body problem w.r.t. Neurons.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I am glad to see you around again.

thank you and i hoped what i said helped. I also forgot to mention that you could have a BA synapse if you wanted to

1. What is Donald O. Hebb's theory of cell assemblies?

Donald O. Hebb's theory of cell assemblies is a neuroscientific theory that explains how neurons in the brain form connections with each other to create representations of information. According to Hebb's theory, when two neurons are activated simultaneously, the connection between them is strengthened, leading to the formation of a cell assembly. These cell assemblies are thought to be the basis of learning and memory in the brain.

2. How does Hebb's theory of cell assemblies explain learning and memory?

Hebb's theory of cell assemblies explains learning and memory by proposing that when new information is learned, specific groups of neurons are activated simultaneously, leading to the formation of a new cell assembly. Over time, through repeated activation, this cell assembly becomes stronger and more efficient at representing the learned information. This is how new memories are formed and old memories are strengthened.

3. What is the evidence supporting Hebb's theory of cell assemblies?

There is a significant amount of evidence supporting Hebb's theory of cell assemblies. Studies have shown that when two neurons are repeatedly activated together, the connection between them becomes stronger. Additionally, brain imaging studies have demonstrated the existence of cell assemblies in the brain during learning and memory tasks. Furthermore, damage to certain brain regions that are thought to be involved in cell assemblies can result in deficits in learning and memory.

4. Are there any criticisms of Hebb's theory of cell assemblies?

While Hebb's theory of cell assemblies is widely accepted, it has faced some criticisms. One criticism is that it does not fully explain how new memories are formed and how old memories are retrieved. It also does not account for the role of glial cells in learning and memory. Additionally, some argue that the theory oversimplifies the complexity of the brain and its processes.

5. How is Hebb's theory of cell assemblies relevant in modern neuroscience?

Hebb's theory of cell assemblies is still highly relevant in modern neuroscience and has influenced many studies and theories. It has provided a framework for understanding how the brain learns and remembers information, and has been applied to various fields such as psychology, artificial intelligence, and cognitive neuroscience. Additionally, advancements in technology have allowed for further exploration and validation of Hebb's theory, making it a crucial component in our understanding of the brain and its functions.