What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
Excuse me, Dr Foofer is vomiting. He made sure that he ran off of the tile floor and onto my expensive Persian rug to vomit. The cat has class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Excuse me, Dr Foofer is vomiting. He made sure that he ran off of the tile floor and onto my expensive Persian rug to vomit. The cat has class.
Quit feeding him eggplant and he'll be OK.

turbo-1 said:
Quit feeding him eggplant and he'll be OK.
:grumpy:

Evo said:
AAAARGGGHH! CLOVES! Those are tooth medicine from the dark ages!
:rofl: That's how I used to think of them. Have a toothache, and mom would make me chew on a clove until I could get to the dentist. :yuck:

But, I've learned to like cloves, but only a TEENY TINY bit when added to recipes with lots of other spices...if a recipe calls for cloves, I start out cutting the amount it says to add in half.

Eggplant
Me- manna from heaven
twisting_edge - cardboard beer coasters

Blue Cheese
me- yummy
twisting _edge - vomit in solid form

cloves
me- work of the devil
twisting_edge - delightful spice

I'm with you on this list. :biggrin: I'm also with you on the no sweet stuff on ham issue. :biggrin: You can have Christmas ham at my place (of course I'm still figuring out if I'll be at my place for Christmas, but I'm sure Ember would let you in :biggrin:).

How about the classic Duck a l'Orange
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_25993,00.html

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/233535

Sweet and sour pork is a rather common dish!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_and_sour_pork
Then - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_and_sour_chicken

or Ham steak with applesauce?

And what's wrong with eggplant? Is the taste or texture? If it's texture, what about okra? If it's taste, one has to be careful that the eggplant is fresh.

There are great recipes for eggplant - EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,143186-240198,00.html

http://www.sheepscreek.com/recipes/eggplant_moussaka.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Eggplant is just one of those "placeholder" vegetables that you throw into provide filler while the sauces and seasonings and real vegetables like onions, tomatoes, and garlic do all the heavy lifting flavor-wise. I'll eat eggplant parmesan, but really, the eggplant could easily be tossed out in favor of summer squashes, zucchini, or perhaps cardboard beer coasters. :rofl: Once you've got a flavorful tomato-based sauce with peppers, onions, garlic, and herbs, and some rich-tasting cheeses, the "placeholder" is just along for the ride. If you're going to bread and fry some slices of eggplant in order for it to have any flavor to contribute to the dish, that's a pretty good argument for converting the placeholder to pasta or some other filler that is cheaper and fat-free.

Last edited:
My wife and I just had our supper, and since we both had stuff to do this afternoon, we kept it simple. Hot Dogs! These Applegate Farms organic hot dogs are great, and we have settled into our routines with them. We both like them with fried onions, bread-and-butter pickles, and Annie's Naturals organic yellow mustard. We both like chili relish on them, too. Mine is the ripe habanero relish with the impressive burn and hers is the "clean-up" relish made from green jalapenos, super chilies, and habaneros that were left when it was time to pull out the plants at the end of the season. I've tried the "clean-up" relish on hot dogs, and the complex burn and flavor is very good, but I can't give up the big kick of the ripe habanero relish. I hope that I can nurse this stuff through until next season. I don't want to run out.:cry:

turbo-1 said:
My wife and I just had our supper, and since we both had stuff to do this afternoon, we kept it simple. Hot Dogs! These Applegate Farms organic hot dogs are great, and we have settled into our routines with them. We both like them with fried onions, bread-and-butter pickles, and Annie's Naturals organic yellow mustard. We both like chili relish on them, too. Mine is the ripe habanero relish with the impressive burn and hers is the "clean-up" relish made from green jalapenos, super chilies, and habaneros that were left when it was time to pull out the plants at the end of the season. I've tried the "clean-up" relish on hot dogs, and the complex burn and flavor is very good, but I can't give up the big kick of the ripe habanero relish. I hope that I can nurse this stuff through until next season. I don't want to run out.:cry:

My favorite way to eat hot dogs with Turbo's habanero relish is to cut a hole in the center of the hot dog (in the long direction), but not cut all of the way through. Then I stuff the relish through the center of the hole. It makes it nice and even. I love it.

OK, when my wife brings home a nice steak, I usually fire up the grill. Even in the dead of winter turbo the eskimo is grilling. After watching Alton Brown's video segment on steaks, we decided to try his method, so when she showed up after work with a nice 1" thick strip steak we gave it a go. I think my grill is going to see a lot of down-time this winter - the steak was THAT good. The method:

Preheat your oven to 500 deg and put a heavy cast-iron skillet on a burner turned to High to preheat for at least a few minutes. Dust the steak with Kosher salt and cracked peppercorns on both sides and pat that in with a couple of dashes of high-temperature oil (peanut oil is my favorite so we used that). Put the steak in the super-hot skillet for 30 seconds on each side and don't touch it in the meantime, so a nice crust can develop on the seared surfaces, then transfer the skillet and steak into the oven. We let ours cook for 1min,15sec/side in the oven because we both prefer steak rare - Brown suggested 2 minutes per side. When the oven time is up, put the steak on an inverted dish in a larger platter, so any grease/juices will run off, and lightly cover the hot steak with aluminum foil for 3 minutes to allow the steak to "relax" before serving. The steak was perfectly done, juicy, and tender.:tongue2:

NOTE: Just like when grilling, never handle your steaks with a fork - always use a large pair of tongs to avoid penetrating the meat and letting the juices out. That steak and a nice green salad made for a perfect supper.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
OK, when my wife brings home a nice steak, I usually fire up the grill. Even in the dead of winter turbo the eskimo is grilling. After watching Alton Brown's video segment on steaks, we decided to try his method, so when she showed up after work with a nice 1" thick strip steak we gave it a go. I think my grill is going to see a lot of down-time this winter - the steak was THAT good. The method:

Preheat your oven to 500 deg and put a heavy cast-iron skillet on a burner turned to High to preheat for at least a few minutes. Dust the steak with Kosher salt and cracked peppercorns on both sides and pat that in with a couple of dashes of high-temperature oil (peanut oil is my favorite so we used that). Put the steak in the super-hot skillet for 30 seconds on each side and don't touch it in the meantime, so a nice crust can develop on the seared surfaces, then transfer the skillet and steak into the oven. We let ours cook for 1min,15sec/side in the oven because we both prefer steak rare - Brown suggested 2 minutes per side. When the oven time is up, put the steak on an inverted dish in a larger platter, so any grease/juices will run off, and lightly cover the hot steak with aluminum foil for 3 minutes to allow the steak to "relax" before serving. The steak was perfectly done, juicy, and tender.:tongue2:

NOTE: Just like when grilling, never handle your steaks with a fork - always use a large pair of tongs to avoid penetrating the meat and letting the juices out. That steak and a nice green salad made for a perfect supper.

Hmm...sounds a little overdone for me. I think the 30 sec per side on the hot pan was long enough. :biggrin: (Just kidding, sounds pretty perfect actually.)

Something I've done a few times that I really like is to take a nice, thick steak...but not very big, so that it's about as thick as it is wide (like the size of a thick fillet mignon, but it doesn't need to be that good of a quality of meat, maybe 2" in all directions), coat it in sea salt and black pepper, no other seasoning, and sear it in sesame oil brought almost to the smoke point (I keep a pot lid nearby just in case, but haven't started any fires yet). Just turn the steak searing all 6 sides until crispy, and it's done. Let rest, then slice very thin. I like to eat it with just a drizzling of horseradish sauce (though, would skip that if it was a really great cut like fillet). It'll still be a cool center, and I love the salt and sesame flavor together.

Due to the success of the Alton Brown steak method, we are going to brine our turkey tonight (using his recipe) and roast it tomorrow morning. Kinda scary - this will be the first Thanksgiving in at least 20 years that I haven't hickory-smoked the turkey on my charcoal-fired smoker. (fingers crossed!)

I had to perform a emergency thigh reduction on the turkey this morning. It was to big to fit in my roasting pan, and I didnt want to spoil the looks of a whole bird delivered to the table. So working from the inside{Nurse..LIGHTS darn it!} I removed the bones, and was able to smoosh the thighs into the chest cavity, and stich in a brace of chop sticks. As a result, the turkey looks slighty bow legged, but is resting comforty in the post op fridge.

I think I need a beer now.:tongue2:

Congratulations on the successful bone-ectomy. :wink:

The size of our turkeys is usually limited by the size of my Brinkman smoker, so we go to the guy who raises turkeys and request birds that are 12-14#. That's usually at the low end of the size range for him, but he always manages to save a few runts for us - one we cook fresh for T-day and the others go into the freezer.

hypatia said:
I had to perform a emergency thigh reduction on the turkey this morning. It was to big to fit in my roasting pan, and I didnt want to spoil the looks of a whole bird delivered to the table. So working from the inside{Nurse..LIGHTS darn it!} I removed the bones, and was able to smoosh the thighs into the chest cavity, and stich in a brace of chop sticks. As a result, the turkey looks slighty bow legged, but is resting comforty in the post op fridge.

I think I need a beer now.:tongue2:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I would have never thought of something like that! How clever!

So, I'm going to head to a friend's place for T-day, which absolves me of most of the cooking responsibility. I've been put in charge of supplying green beans (no, I'm NOT making a green bean casserole). Of all the things I can cook for Thanksgiving, I get asked to do green beans (everything else is already covered, though I'm tempted to bring some pumpkin cookies as a dessert backup...her other friend making the pumpkin pie sounds like too much of a health nut to be properly trusted with a dessert). I think I'll just do something like green beans almondine, but with a bit of garlic added.

Moonbear said:
her other friend making the pumpkin pie sounds like too much of a health nut to be properly trusted with a dessert).
Pumpkin tofu pie?

Evo said:
Pumpkin tofu pie?

Nothing quite that bad, but apparently she's phobic of sugar or something, but has been instructed repeatedly that she MUST have sugar in a pumpkin pie (I'm just worried she won't put in enough). She should be the one making green beans while I make the dessert! :rolleyes:

Mmm! My wife makes the best pumpkin pie ever - the hapless pumpkin is down in the dark, cold cellar on a table with all the buttercup squash from our garden.:tongue2: Tomorrow morning we'll head down there are pick out our victims.

Moonbear said:
Nothing quite that bad, but apparently she's phobic of sugar or something, but has been instructed repeatedly that she MUST have sugar in a pumpkin pie (I'm just worried she won't put in enough). She should be the one making green beans while I make the dessert! :rolleyes:

Oh dear god I remember having dinner with a sugarphobe once...it was awful...dessert was sugarless cheesecake. I have never tasted anything so bad in my life.

scorpa said:
Oh dear god I remember having dinner with a sugarphobe once...it was awful...dessert was sugarless cheesecake. I have never tasted anything so bad in my life.

That settles it, I'm going to make my pumpkin cookies as backup. Dessert has to have sugar, and Thanksgiving is no time to worry about one's weight!

I have always made my pumpkin pies with maple sugar, and I believe I am the first member of my family to put it in a crust. Its always been a custard type dish for me. My husband was ..shall we say, horrified with the no crust aspect. Hah, what love can do to a woman.

hypatia said:
I have always made my pumpkin pies with maple sugar, and I believe I am the first member of my family to put it in a crust. Its always been a custard type dish for me. My husband was ..shall we say, horrified with the no crust aspect. Hah, what love can do to a woman.

No crust? Don't you need a crust to even call it pie? :confused:

I can deal with a 1/2 crust pot-pie-type approximation, but if it is all filling and no crust, it's not a pie. I have dealt with custard-dish servings of "pie fillings" but they are not good substitutes for pies, either.

turbo-1 said:
Due to the success of the Alton Brown steak method, we are going to brine our turkey tonight (using his recipe) and roast it tomorrow morning. Kinda scary - this will be the first Thanksgiving in at least 20 years that I haven't hickory-smoked the turkey on my charcoal-fired smoker. (fingers crossed!)
So, how did it turn out? You can't smoke a brined turkey?

Evo said:
So, how did it turn out? You can't smoke a brined turkey?
My father said that he likes it better than my smoked turkey. :grumpy: I miss the smoked flavor, and I'm afraid that the lack of smoked flavor will make the turkey soup and turkey pie a little less wonderful than they usually are. I might try smoking a brined turkey next year for the best of both worlds - the breast meat turned out very tender and moist. The breast meat in my smoked turkeys is usually very moist because I smoke them breast-down so that the fat from the dark meat bastes the white meat. Brining may make the turkey retain moisture and flavors even better. We'll see.

The brined turkey is a success. Normally, I gravitate to the dark meat when I make turkey sandwiches, and avoid the drier white meat, but this turkey breast is wonderful and moist. Turkey breast on rye with Cain's mayo and my home-made chili relish to dress things up a bit. Mmmmm! Normally, left-over turkey is a bit daunting, but we're plowing through this bird at a pretty good clip. Unfortunately, my wife has developed a fondness for the hotter chili relish (as opposed to the hot tomato-based salsas that I made), so I'm keeping my finders crossed that we don't run out before next year's crop of chilis - the store bought ones are wimpy.

I bought some soya product i do not know why as i have no idea what to do with it,
it is dry little nodules, no instructions on the bag, anyone have an idea what i can make out of this stuff?

wolram said:
I bought some soya product i do not know why as i have no idea what to do with it,
it is dry little nodules, no instructions on the bag, anyone have an idea what i can make out of this stuff?
Does it have a name?

wolram said:
You bought a soya product with no plan and no idea what to do with it? Are you a woman? I thought you were a guy until you expressed an interest in marrying a Korean-produced car. (you have not supplied details, but we may be able to tease details from general information) Do you plan on wedding a mid-sized car, a compact, or perhaps a luxury model?

Evo said:
Does it have a name?

It probably had a name on the supermarket shelf but there is nothing on the bag, the bags are quite big and light, i think it is soya mince.

turbo-1 said:
You bought a soya product with no plan and no idea what to do with it? Are you a woman? I thought you were a guy until you expressed an interest in marrying a Korean-produced car. (you have not supplied details, but we may be able to tease details from general information) Do you plan on wedding a mid-sized car, a compact, or perhaps a luxury model?

I am a bad shopper when it comes to food, i bought 10 individulal treacle puddings becaus i remembered i liked them but i did not.

wolram said:
I am a bad shopper when it comes to food, i bought 10 individulal treacle puddings becaus i remembered i liked them but i did not.
Gosh! You have to come here for at least a month or two, so you can learn to recognize food. If you are willing to spend more time and pay extra, I will teach you how to assemble food-related products from the crap in the stores, until you can actually eat the products.

turbo-1 said:
Gosh! You have to come here for at least a month or two, so you can learn to recognize food. If you are willing to spend more time and pay extra, I will teach you how to assemble food-related products from the crap in the stores, until you can actually eat the products.

I am an accidental cook, i discovered that beetroot goes well with steak when i opened the wrong can, and it is difficult shopping when you do not have a freezer, i have to make a choise freezer or washing mach, i only have room for one.

wolram said:
I am an accidental cook, i discovered that beetroot goes well with steak when i opened the wrong can, and it is difficult shopping when you do not have a freezer, i have to make a choise freezer or washing mach, i only have room for one.
Well, I grew up in a little place with a big family, and our big appliance was a chest freezer. We had a washing machine that could be filled at the kitchen sink and our dryer was a series of clothes-lines. Luckily, my mother and her family and my father's mother and her family were cooks who could kick some serious butt. When we got food (fiddleheads, deer meat, moose, etc) it went straight into the freezer with the blueberries, strawberries, frozen green beans, and other good stuff.

I threw together some very tasty scrambled eggs the other night. I added the usual dash of oregano, red pepper, garlic salt, cilantro, pepper, a tiny bit of cumin, and onions, but what made it unusually good was a thin layer of dill flavored havarti cheese.

They were about the best eggs that I've ever made!

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I threw together some very tasty scrambled eggs the other night. I added the usual dash of oregano, red pepper, garlic salt, cilantro, pepper, a tiny bit of cumin, and onions, but what made it unusually good was a thin layer of dill flavored harvarta cheese.

They were about the best eggs that I've ever made!
Can you express some?