Does Having a Larger Head Make a Difference?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Kitsune 205
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's large head size, which is often joked about by their friends. However, the speaker wonders if their head size has any correlation to their intelligence, as many adults have commented on their maturity and intelligence. The conversation also includes a discussion about genetic inheritance and the possibility of setting up a poll to measure head circumference. Overall, it is concluded that head size does not determine intelligence and is simply a result of genetic factors.
Kitsune 205
Alright folks, here I am, and here it comes. I have a big head. Not like, arrogance wise, but physically my skull is rather larger. I'm 14 and it's about 22 or 23 inches all the way around. My friends, this is kinda funny, like to think of it as a basketball. Because when they put their hands on the top of my head, they're finger tips are barely touching the side. But when I try the same thing on them, it's the opposite. I'm wondering - why. It's the the opinion of almost every "adult" I talk to, that I'm very intelligent (More in the realms of philosophy, and physics) and mature for my age. So, does have a MASSIVE head make a difference? If not, why is it so dang large?!

Biology news on Phys.org
Though it'd be nice to think so, head-size has nothing to do with intelligence.

It's just a fluke of genes. Are you the only big-header in your family?

Using different hands to measure different heads will surely skew the measurement.

My head is 22 inches in circumference. I'm 5'7" and 180 lbs.

Try setting up a poll of head circumference. I bet the ansers will surprise you.

I'm the only big header in my immediete family. I have the biggest head of almost anyone I know... -_-'

Kitsune 205 said:
I'm the only big header in my immediete family. I have the biggest head of almost anyone I know... -_-'
How many have you measured with a tape measure?

Kitsune 205 said:
why is it so dang large?!

When was your last physical? If you are due for one you can ask your doctor to measure your head and get their opinion on your perceived macrocephaly.

What is "Big Headedness"?

"Big Headedness" is a term used to describe an individual who has a larger than average head size compared to the rest of their body. It can also be used to refer to an individual who has an inflated ego or sense of self-importance.

What causes "Big Headedness"?

There are a few potential causes for an individual to have a larger head size than average. It could be due to genetics, where an individual inherits a larger head size from their parents. It could also be a result of certain medical conditions, such as hydrocephalus or macrocephaly. In terms of an inflated ego or sense of self-importance, it could be a result of personality traits or environmental factors.

Is "Big Headedness" a medical condition?

In some cases, a larger head size can be a sign of an underlying medical condition. However, in most cases, it is simply a natural variation in human anatomy and does not pose any health risks. In terms of an inflated ego or sense of self-importance, it is not considered a medical condition, but rather a personality trait or behavior.

Can "Big Headedness" be treated?

If a larger head size is due to a medical condition, treatment may be necessary. However, if it is simply a natural variation, there is no need for treatment. In terms of an inflated ego or sense of self-importance, it can be addressed through therapy or self-reflection, but there is no specific treatment for it.

What are the implications of "Big Headedness"?

The implications of "Big Headedness" can vary depending on the context. In terms of a larger head size, it may have no significant impact on an individual's life. However, if it is accompanied by other medical conditions, it may require monitoring or treatment. In terms of an inflated ego or sense of self-importance, it may affect relationships and interactions with others, and can potentially lead to negative consequences in personal and professional settings.