Structure constants of Lie algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the standard basis for so(3) in Matlab code form and the structure constants of the Lie algebra. It also mentions the left-invariant vector fields of a matrix group and the calculation of [M1, M2] not being equal to M3. The conversation concludes with a suggestion for books on matrix groups, with the speaker recalling learning from Spivak's Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry.
marton
The following matrices are written in Matlab codes form.

The standard basis for so(3) is: L1 = [0 0 0; 0 0 -1; 0 1 0], L2 = [0 0 1; 0 0 0; -1 0 0], L3 = [0 -1 0; 1 0 0; 0 0 0]. Since [L1, L2] = L3, the structure constants of this Lie algebra are C(12, 1) = C(12, 2) = 0, C(12, 3) = 1. According to do Carmo and other textbooks, if M1, M2 and M3 is the basis for the left-invariant vector fields of A, where A is a member of SO(3), we have [Mi, Mj] = C(ij, k)Mk, where Mi = A * Li. In the above case, we have [M1, M2] = M3.

But, when I put A = [cos(t) -sin(t) 0; sin(t) cos(t) 0; 0 0 1], then M1 = [0 0 sin(t); 0 0 -cos(t); 0 -1 0], M2 = [0 0 cos(t); 0 0 sin(t); -1 0 0], and M3 = [-sin(t) -cos(t) 0; cos(t) -sin(t) 0; 0 0 0]. By straightforward calculation, it can be seen that [M1, M2] is not equal to M3.
I believe the textbooks could not be wrong , but my calculation is also correct. I am in confusion. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key problem here is that, in general, to find the left-invariant vector fields of a matrix group at a point A not equal to the identity, one can not simply left-multiply A by the basis of the Lie algebra at the identity. The resulting matrices {A*L1, A*L2, A*L3} will not form a Lie algebra, since [A*L1, A*L2]=A*L1*A*L2-A*L2*A*L1 will not in general be an element of the linear span of {A*L1, A*L2, A*L3}.

Thanks a lot. I think i need read the textbooks more carefully.

Any suggestion for books on matrix group?

I seem to recall that I learned quite a lot about Matrix Lie groups via Spivak's Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry. I think the pertinent sections are at the tail end of Volume I.

1. What are structure constants of Lie algebra?

The structure constants of Lie algebra are numerical coefficients that define the commutation relation between elements of the algebra. They represent the structure of the algebra and are used to study its properties and representations.

2. How are structure constants of Lie algebra calculated?

Structure constants of Lie algebra can be calculated by taking the commutator of two basis elements and expressing the result as a linear combination of other basis elements. The coefficients of this linear combination are the structure constants.

3. Why are structure constants important in Lie algebra?

Structure constants are important in Lie algebra because they determine the algebra's structure and are used to define its properties. They are also used in the study of symmetry and group theory, as well as in applications such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

4. What is the significance of non-zero structure constants in Lie algebra?

Non-zero structure constants in Lie algebra indicate that the algebra is non-abelian, meaning that the commutator of two elements is non-zero. This implies that the algebra has a non-trivial structure and is not simply a vector space.

5. Can structure constants of Lie algebra be changed or transformed?

Yes, structure constants of Lie algebra can be transformed by using a change of basis. This transformation preserves the commutation relations within the algebra and does not alter its structure or properties.