Designing and building a mass spectrometer.

In summary, this person is interested in designing and building their own mass spectrometer. They are unsure if they are out of their mind, but they are planning on starting their project soon. They are interested in E&M calculations and are not concerned with the resolution of the final product.
leright
I am a double major in EE and physics and I was thinking that a great senior project would be to design and build my own mass spectrometer. I would not only like to build the basic device, but also calibrate the device so that it provides the m/q value based on the radius of curvature caused by the B-field, and also provides the relative abundance of these m/q values, like a real mass spectrometer. I would like this to be displayed on an LCD screen of some sort possibly.

I have a good understanding of how mass spectrometers work and it seems like this is feasible. Am I out of my mind? I have 2 years before my senior design project is due, and I think I am going to get started on my project very soon. I plan on designing all of the power electronics (such as the rectifier and ripple voltage reduction circuitry) myself. Any advice or suggestions?

I want to find a project that is heavy on the E&M calculations since it is one of my favorite topics, and this came to mind. It seems like an exciting endeavor.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that the vacuum would be difficult to deal with.

NoTime said:
I would think that the vacuum would be difficult to deal with.

This is what I was thinking. I would need expensive high vacuum equipment.

I was thinking more along the line of just building a case that won't implode.
You might be able to find a pump that could empty it out enough to do something fairly cheap.
Kind of depends on what you are willing to live with for resolution.

NoTime said:
I was thinking more along the line of just building a case that won't implode.
You might be able to find a pump that could empty it out enough to do something fairly cheap.
Kind of depends on what you are willing to live with for resolution.

Well, I don't plan on building something extremely high end...just something that works. Really my goal is to just be able to pick out the m/q value with the highest abundance so I can determine the molecular weight of various substances. Once I get int othe project and start realizing that I may be able to tackle a project with higher resolution then I will consider more high end equipment.

:cool:
Being interested in something has always been a good enough reason for me.

Best

1. What is a mass spectrometer and what is it used for?

A mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument that is used to measure the mass of particles in a sample. It works by ionizing the particles and then separating them based on their mass-to-charge ratio. This allows scientists to identify and quantify the different components of a sample, making it a valuable tool in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and forensics.

2. How does a mass spectrometer work?

A mass spectrometer works by first ionizing a sample, which means it is given a positive or negative charge. The ions are then accelerated through an electric field and directed into a magnetic field, which causes them to separate based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The separated ions are then detected and recorded, producing a mass spectrum that can be analyzed to identify the components of the sample.

3. What are the different types of mass spectrometers?

There are several different types of mass spectrometers, including time-of-flight, quadrupole, magnetic sector, and ion trap. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, but they all follow the same basic principles of ionization, acceleration, separation, and detection.

4. What are the key components of a mass spectrometer?

The key components of a mass spectrometer include an ion source, an analyzer, and a detector. The ion source is responsible for ionizing the sample, while the analyzer separates the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The detector then measures the separated ions and produces a mass spectrum.

5. What are some common applications of mass spectrometry?

Mass spectrometry is used in a wide range of applications, including drug discovery, environmental analysis, food safety testing, and medical diagnostics. It is also commonly used in research to study the composition and structure of molecules, and in forensics to identify trace amounts of substances in criminal investigations.