Charge vs. Gravity: Calculating Electrostatic to Gravitational Force Ratio

In summary, the ratio of the electrostatic force to the gravitational force between two electrons is 3.9889x10^42. This can be calculated using the formula F = kqq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the electron, and r is the distance between the electrons. This calculation assumes that the electrons are point charges, which is not entirely accurate. The value for G used in the calculation should be 6.67x10^11 Nm^2/kg^2.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Calculate the ratio of the electrostatic force to the gravitational force between two electrons.

My effort:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\frac{{\left( {\frac{{kq_{electron}^2 }}{{r^2 }}} \right)}}{{\left( {\frac{{GM_{electron}^2 }}{{r^2 }}} \right)}} \Rightarrow \\
\\
\frac{{kq_{electron}^2 }}{{GM_{electron}^2 }} = \frac{{8.988 \times 10^9 Nm^2 C^{ - 2} \times \left( { - 1.60217653 \times 10^{ - 19} C} \right)^2 }}{{6.97 \times 10^{ - 11} Nm^2 kg^{ - 2} \times \left( {9.10953826 \times 10^{ - 31} kg} \right)^2 }} = 3.9889 \times 10^{42} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
Sorry for small tex. This should be better:
ge.gif

My units cancel nicely, so I assume I did it right. However, the book doesn't give the formula I used: F=kqq/r^2

It gives
[tex]
F = Q\left( {E + v \times B} \right)
[/tex]

Most textbooks give you the formulas you need to do the questions at the end of the chapter. So I figure I'd double check here.

In Wikipedia I looked up the mass and charge of the electron. It gave
9.109 3826(16) × 10−31 kg
−1.602 176 53(14) × 10−19 C
What do the (16) and (14) in these numbers mean?

*** Edit
I'm seeing an answer of 10^36 on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_force
and 10^39 on
http://public.lanl.gov/alp/plasma/EM_forces.html
So I'm a bit less confident about my answer now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Close but your value for G is too high. G = 6.67x10^11 Nm^2/kg^2. I get 4.17x10^42
Your approach and method is correct.

AM

Thanks for catching that. I thought I had that memorized.

1. What is the difference between charge and gravity?

Charge and gravity are two fundamental physical properties that describe the behavior of matter. Charge is a property of particles that determines how they interact with electromagnetic fields, while gravity is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other.

2. How do you calculate the electrostatic to gravitational force ratio?

The electrostatic to gravitational force ratio can be calculated by dividing the electrostatic force between two charged particles by the gravitational force between the same two particles. This can be represented by the equation Fe/Fg = (kq1q2)/m1m2g, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and m1 and m2 are their masses.

3. What is the value of the electrostatic to gravitational force ratio?

The value of the electrostatic to gravitational force ratio varies depending on the masses and charges of the two particles. However, for two particles with equal masses and charges, the ratio is equal to the ratio of the Coulomb constant to the gravitational constant, which is approximately 9x10^9.

4. How does the distance between two particles affect the electrostatic to gravitational force ratio?

The electrostatic to gravitational force ratio is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two particles. This means that as the distance between two particles increases, the ratio decreases. This is because the electrostatic force decreases with distance, while the gravitational force remains constant.

5. What real-life applications use the concept of electrostatic to gravitational force ratio?

The concept of electrostatic to gravitational force ratio is used in many areas, such as in particle accelerators, to study the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It is also used in space exploration to understand the interactions between charged particles and gravitational forces in outer space. Additionally, this concept is important in the design of electronic devices and in the study of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.