Photo Contest - Falling for Autumn (9/19-26)

In summary: Is that mud on its back? Is it sick? Is that a bull?This week marks the beginning of Fall/Autumn in the northern hemisphere. So the theme of our photo contest this time will be all about Fall/Autumn. Any picture with a clear connection to this season of the year is eligible. Note that pictures tied to specific celebrations such as Thanksgiving, etc. that may not be universally recognized by members from other parts of the world should not be used.Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.Please
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Falling for Autumn

This week marks the beginning of Fall/Autumn in the northern hemisphere. So the theme of our photo contest this time will be all about Fall/Autumn. Any picture with a clear connection to this season of the year is eligible. Note that pictures tied to specific celebrations such as Thanksgiving, etc. that may not be universally recognized by members from other parts of the world should not be used.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
But the leaves are still green here! It'll be a few more weeks before I can get a photo of the mountains when the leaves are all beautiful fall colors! :frown:

I can't wait to see what appears in this thread. That's why I'm saying something so I can find it again as it progresses. :biggrin:

Wow! 2 Days into the contest, and not a single picture!

Either this is one tough theme, or people never took pictures of Fall/Autumn before. Hum... does that mean people start taking pictures only after the theme is announced? :)

Zz.

OK, I'll be the first one to stick my neck out in what should be another killer contest. GeoMike is probably waiting until the last minute to haul out some jaw-dropping foliage shot from the White Mountains. :rofl: One of my closest friends has a camp and a barn on what used to be his family's farm over 100 years back. He graciously allows me to hunt on his property, so every fall, I try to coordinate a visit up there with him and help him split some wood, get the camp winterized, etc. This picture would have been early October, I guess, of 2004 or 2005. The maples in the background are already red. I don't know what kind of berries these are, but they caught my eye and the twisted apple tree added a dynamic look to what would otherwise be a pretty dull picture. BTW, the apple tree is partly hollow, but it is still producing apples. Some of those old strains are pretty tough!

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8206/savagetreezv8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you vetoed Fall holidays, that pretty much eliminated anything I would have a picture of already. If I took a picture now, it would be indistinguishable from summer pictures. :frown: And, of course, the folks down under are really out of luck here! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Once you vetoed Fall holidays, that pretty much eliminated anything I would have a picture of already. If I took a picture now, it would be indistinguishable from summer pictures. :frown: And, of course, the folks down under are really out of luck here! :rofl:

The folks at and near the equator are also out of luck completely when "seasons" theme are on, other than summer, of course.

Zz.

Andre said:
Made it last week on my short holiday hike in the Pyrenees in France:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6605/lecowvn4.png

It's the three http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/botany/acrohst.html in front, justifying this picture here.

Le' moooooooooooooooooooooo Ze' dirtie Amerzikan taking my pikture, travasty!

That cow looks so french. :rofl: The difference in taste is in the feed. All natural.

Andre said:
Autumn crocus in front, justifying this picture here.

I don't think that qualifies. Our theme did say

So the theme of our photo contest this time will be all about Fall/Autumn. Any picture with a clear connection to this season of the year is eligible.

So it is not just something with the word "Autumn" in it.

Zz.

This is all I have that may apply to the theme...

http://home.comcast.net/~larkspur2020/autumn.jpg

ZapperZ said:
So it is not just something with the word "Autumn" in it.

Zz.
:uhh: From the link provided:
The rapierlike leaves grow about a foot high, and in the early fall one or two leafless stalks sprout from the corm; each stalk produces a single white-to-purplish-pink flower that resembles a crocus.

Since it's flowering, it must be fall. Sounds like it qualifies to me.

I've been waiting to post this one because its an old picture and I had to take a photo of a photo to get it online. I was hoping to get a new scanner, but I don't know if it will happen before the contest ends. So, I post this version for now.

It was taken at our local Japanese garden.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/autumn.jpg

Moonbear said:
:uhh: From the link provided:

Since it's flowering, it must be fall. Sounds like it qualifies to me.

Ok then...

Zz.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Le' moooooooooooooooooooooo Ze' dirtie Amerzikan taking my pikture, travasty!

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6605/lecowvn4.png

That cow looks so french. :rofl: The difference in taste is in the feed. All natural.
:rofl: I LOVE IT! This one gets my vote!

Most of the stuff up here is still pretty green. So I'm going to have to go with a shot from 2 years ago:
Morning at Mt. Webster, Crawford Notch State Park, NH:
http://www.mcschell.com/webster.jpg

-GeoMike-

Andre said:
Made it last week on my short holiday hike in the Pyrenees in France:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/autumn-crocus.JPG

It's the three http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/botany/acrohst.html in front, justifying this picture here.

The next shot would be the belly of the cow as it ran over you, followed by a rear shot?

btw, do you know why cows wear bells?

Their horns don't work.

That's actually the first time I've ever seen real cows with bells on them. :rofl: Usually it's just the ones in cartoons.

Ivan Seeking said:
The next shot would be the belly of the cow as it ran over you, followed by a rear shot?

:biggrin: Now, why didn't I think of that. Anyway more pyrenean bell cows and holiday pictures of last week http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/montcru.pdf . It's a pdf print of a powerpoint presentation. So use page up/down.

More and full size pictures? Just pm me.

That's really pretty and a nice photo too, hypatia. You caught great detail, such as the frost and the reflection in the water. Very nice.

I really like the cows too. And yes, I thought about the "hey! that's an oncoming cow" aspect too.

Its such a slow river, hardly moves at all. Its wonderful to canoe down, cause you can actually canoe back up to where parked the truck.

GeorginaS said:
That's really pretty and a nice photo too, hypatia. You caught great detail, such as the frost and the reflection in the water. Very nice.

Absolutely

I really like the cows too. And yes, I thought about the "hey! that's an oncoming cow" aspect too.

Believe me, it was definitely oncoming. But we decided to keep it friendly.

A buddy and I once threw down our sleeping bags on what turned out to be free range for cattle. We woke up in the middle of dozens of cows! I have always wondered why we were never stepped upon. I guess it's a good thing nothing spooked them.

Just because you and your buddy would step on any sleeping animals you come across doesn't mean all animals have that same cruel streak.

Andre said:
:biggrin: Now, why didn't I think of that. Anyway more pyrenean bell cows and holiday pictures of last week http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/montcru.pdf . It's a pdf print of a powerpoint presentation. So use page up/down.

More and full size pictures? Just pm me.
The cows are good, but I really like the morning fog image at the bottom left of page 3.

Moonbear said:
That's actually the first time I've ever seen real cows with bells on them. :rofl: Usually it's just the ones in cartoons.
When I was a kid, my uncle and a partner raised Herefords, and the herds always minded the matriarch. The matriarch of every herd (which changed only very slowly over the years) was always belled, and when she decided to go from the high pasture to the lower, and get some shade and water, etc, all the others would follow. Even if they knew exactly where she was going (to get grain or some fresh corn, for instance) they stayed in a line based on family heirarchy, and she always got first dibs. In hilly, wooded areas where cattle can be harder to find when you need to locate them, bells are a good idea. If you've got "Suzy" (a matriarch of my uncle's herd for years) trained to know that when you whistle, she should come to you and she will get some nice sweet corn-cobs from last night's supper, you can locate the herd quickly from the sound of her bell, and she will bring the herd to you.

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/scenery/littleriverbridgesm.jpg

This Fall is long past, it maked a major change in life for me.

why? did you jump? That wasn't what he meant by fall.

One day left and only 6 entries? Isn't this a bit odd, considering how popular landscape and foliage shots are? Did hypatia and GeoMike's entries scare off the competition? (Both quite nice!)

turbo-1 said:
When I was a kid, my uncle and a partner raised Herefords, and the herds always minded the matriarch. The matriarch of every herd (which changed only very slowly over the years) was always belled, and when she decided to go from the high pasture to the lower, and get some shade and water, etc, all the others would follow. Even if they knew exactly where she was going (to get grain or some fresh corn, for instance) they stayed in a line based on family heirarchy, and she always got first dibs. In hilly, wooded areas where cattle can be harder to find when you need to locate them, bells are a good idea. If you've got "Suzy" (a matriarch of my uncle's herd for years) trained to know that when you whistle, she should come to you and she will get some nice sweet corn-cobs from last night's supper, you can locate the herd quickly from the sound of her bell, and she will bring the herd to you.

This reminds me of when I was growing up. We had about 20 head of Herefords and one milk cow, a Holstien named "Rosy". Rosy was the matriarch. My dad would tell my sister and I to bring the herd in, and all we had to do was lead Rosy in, and the herd would follow. (Of course they would follow even if we were just bringing her into get milked.)

turbo-1 said:
The cows are good, but I really like the morning fog image at the bottom left of page 3.

Yeah, but that was the easy shot. saw that every morning, the bell cow was a wee bit more challenging.

Anyway, I added some pages to http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/montcru.pdf with a visit last year of Schloss Lichtenstein and it's environmont, very obvious in the autumn for inspiration of the other competitors.

Andre, some of those might have been real contenders for this thread. Great scenery and architecture.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Falling for Autumn", which means that the photos should capture the beauty and essence of the autumn season.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to everyone, regardless of age, profession, or location. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to submit their photos.

3. How many photos can I submit?

Participants can submit up to 3 photos for the photo contest. However, each photo must be submitted separately and meet the contest guidelines.

4. What are the judging criteria for the photo contest?

The photos will be judged based on creativity, originality, composition, and relevance to the theme. The judges will also consider technical aspects such as lighting, focus, and overall quality of the photo.

5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?

The winner of the photo contest will receive a cash prize of $500 and their photo will be featured on our website and social media platforms. The runner-up will receive a cash prize of $250 and their photo will also be featured on our website and social media. There will also be honorable mentions and prizes for select photos.