Troubleshooting Newton's 2nd Law: Solving for Stopping Distance and Time

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about a loaded dump-truck traveling east at 85km/h and the calculations needed to determine the maximum negative acceleration, minimum stopping time, and minimum stopping distance. The conversation also referenced Newton's 2nd Law and the constant acceleration equations to solve the problem.
soulja101
I really need help with this question. I've tried solving it but i just can't do it.

The question

A loaded dump-truck having a total mass of 2.4*10power of 4 kg is traveling east at 85km/h.The truck driver can apply a braking force of 5.5*10 power of 4 to the wheels without causing the wheels to lock and skid. Calulate:
A)the maxium negative acceleration of this trunk.(in m/s2)
B)the minimum stopping time
C)the minimum stopping distance

The only thing I know is the mass. I know you are supposed to use the 85km/h for something I can not figure out for what.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A) Newtons 2nd Law. What is it? As the truck brakes, what is the only unbalanced force on it?

Well, one has a mass 24000 kg, and a braking force of 55000 N (I guess N) based on the problem.

a) Apply F = ma, or a = F/m.

b) From a and the initial velocity, 85km/h (convert to m/s) compute the time that it takes for the truck to decelerate to v = 0 m/s.

c) From a and the initial velocity, compute the distance for the truck to decelerate to v = 0 m/s.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/newt.html#ntcon

what is 85km/h

what does 85km/h stand for and what do I use it for

85 kilometers per hour, I'd venture.

- Warren

soulja101 said:
what does 85km/h stand for and what do I use it for

That's your initial velocity and you have to do something with the units. Refer to the link Astronuc put up for the constant acceleration equations.

Thanks

Thanks so much for the help i tried your methods and they seem to work.

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law of Motion?

Newton's 2nd Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do you calculate force using Newton's 2nd Law?

To calculate force using Newton's 2nd Law, you can use the formula F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. This formula can also be rearranged to find mass or acceleration if the other two variables are known.

3. Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to objects at rest?

No, Newton's 2nd Law can only be applied to objects that are in motion. Objects at rest have an acceleration of 0, so the equation F = ma would result in a force of 0.

4. How does Newton's 2nd Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's 2nd Law is present in many everyday actions, such as pushing a shopping cart or riding a bike. It explains why heavier objects require more force to move and why it is easier to accelerate a smaller object than a larger one.

5. What are some common problems involving Newton's 2nd Law?

Common problems involving Newton's 2nd Law include finding the acceleration of an object given its mass and the net force acting on it, determining the mass of an object given its acceleration and the applied force, and calculating the force needed to accelerate an object to a certain velocity in a certain amount of time.