Solving ln|x| Improper Integral: -1 to 1

In summary, the integral of ln|x| from -1 to 1 is not converging due to a singularity at x=0. However, the Cauchy Principal Value, which is the limit of the integral as h approaches 0, is -2.
james5
hi, why is ln|x|, from -1 to 1, converging?

is "0" the bad point, and must i break up the integral from 1 to $, where $ = 0, and from $ to -1... so i have xlnx-x as my derivative... and i get -2?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this has nothing to do with "differential equations" I am moving it to "calculus".

I can't tell you "why is ln|x|, from -1 to 1, converging" or even the question I think you intended: "why is the integral of ln|x|, from -1 to 1, converging", because it isn't! The definition of an improper integral of f(x), from -1 to 1 where there is a singularity at x= 0, is
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\int_{-1}^h f(t)dt+ \lim_{k\rightarrow 0}\int_k^1 f(t)dt[/tex]
Notice that the two limits are taken separately. Yes, an anti-derivative of ln x is x ln x- x (for x> 0). An anti-derivative of ln(-x), for x< 0 is x ln(-x)+ x. Therefore
[tex]\int_{-1}^1 ln|x|dx= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+}(-hln(h)-h)+\lim_{k\rightarrow 0^+}(kln(k)-k)[/tex]
and neither of those limits exist.
What you found, by taking both limits with "h" so that they canceled out is the "Cauchy Principal Value" which has some occaisional uses but I don't think gives any good information here.

The reason why ln|x|, from -1 to 1, is converging is because it is a proper integral. A proper integral is one where the limits of integration are finite and the function being integrated is bounded on the interval. In this case, the limits of integration are -1 and 1, which are both finite, and the function ln|x| is bounded on the interval since it is a logarithmic function and has a horizontal asymptote at x=0. Therefore, the integral is converging.

As for your question about breaking up the integral, it is not necessary in this case since the function is already bounded on the interval. Breaking it up may be necessary for other functions that are not bounded on the interval or have a singularity at one of the points of integration.

In regards to your derivative, it is not clear what you are trying to calculate or what the function xlnx-x represents. Please provide more context or information for a better understanding of your calculation.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the integrand is undefined at one or more points in the interval of integration.

2. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you must first determine the type of improper integral (Type I or Type II). Then, you can use various techniques such as limits, substitution, or integration by parts to evaluate the integral.

3. What is the difference between a Type I and Type II improper integral?

A Type I improper integral has an infinite limit of integration, while a Type II improper integral has an integrand that is undefined at one or more points in the interval of integration.

4. How do you handle a ln|x| improper integral?

To solve a ln|x| improper integral, you can use the substitution method by letting u = ln|x| and then solving for u. You can also use the property of logarithmic functions to rewrite the integral into a form that can be easily evaluated.

5. Is there a general formula for solving ln|x| improper integrals?

No, there is no general formula for solving ln|x| improper integrals. The method of solving will vary depending on the specific integral and the techniques used may differ. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and choose the appropriate method of solving.