Solving Laplace Transforms: y""-4y"'+6y" -4y'+y=0

In summary, the conversation involves someone trying to find the inverse Laplace transforms for various problems involving differentials. The person is having trouble factoring the numerator by completing the square and is seeking help in finding the inverse transforms. The expert mentions the formulas for finding Laplace transforms of derivatives and points out that the numerator in one of the problems cannot be factored with real numbers. The person then corrects themselves and confirms that they are looking for the inverse Laplace transform.
hbomb
Can someone show me how to do these laplace transforms of these differentials?

1) y""-4y"'+6y" -4y'+y=0
y(0)=0, y'(0)=1, y"(0)=0, y"'(0)=1

2) y"-2y'+4y=0
y(0)=2, y'(0)=0

3) y"'+2y'+y=4e^-t
y(0)=2, y'(0)=-1

4) y"-2y'+2y=cos(t)
y(0)=1, y'(0)=0
the Laplace transfrom that i got for this was
s/(s^2+a^2) * 1/(s^2-2s+2) + (s-2)/(s^2-2s+2)=y
I'm trying to find the inverse transforms of these but i have no idea how to do this because i can't factor the numerator by completing the square.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the Laplace transform or the inverse transform?

Surely, if you are doing problems like that, you must know that:
L(y')= sL(y)- y(0),
L(y")= s2L(y)- y(0)- y'(0), and
L(y"')= s3L(y)- y(0)- y'(0)- y"(0).

s2- 2x+ 2= s2-2x+ 1+ 1= (s-1)2+ 1. You can't factor that, of course (with real numbers), but you should know inverse transforms involving [itex]\frac{1}{s^2+ 1}[/itex].

My mistake, I'm looking for the inverse Laplace transform.

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency.

2. How do you solve a differential equation using Laplace Transforms?

To solve a differential equation using Laplace Transforms, you first take the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation. This transforms the differential equation into an algebraic equation which can be solved for the unknown function. Once the solution is found, the inverse Laplace Transform is taken to find the solution in terms of the original variable.

3. What is the process for solving "y" - 4y'+6y" - 4y'+y=0 using Laplace Transforms?

The first step is to take the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation. This will result in an algebraic equation in terms of "s" (complex frequency). Then, use algebraic techniques to solve for "y" in terms of "s". Finally, take the inverse Laplace Transform to find the solution in terms of "t" (time).

4. How do I know which Laplace Transform table to use?

The Laplace Transform table contains a list of common functions and their corresponding Laplace Transforms. You can use this table to find the Laplace Transform of the function in the differential equation. If the function is not listed in the table, you can use the linearity property of Laplace Transforms to break the function into smaller parts that are listed in the table.

5. Are there any special cases or restrictions when using Laplace Transforms?

Yes, there are a few special cases and restrictions when using Laplace Transforms. These include functions that have discontinuities or are not defined for certain values, functions that grow or decay too quickly, and systems with initial conditions. It is important to check for these cases and make adjustments to the Laplace Transform process if necessary.