What is a Typical Course Load for a Double Major in EE and Physics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's interest in taking courses related to communication systems, optics, lasers, microscopy, condensed matter physics, advanced spectroscopy, advanced computer applications for electrical engineering, and solid state technology. The student is considering taking courses in network synthesis, modern control systems, digital control systems, and engineering analysis. They also express interest in courses related to electronic noise reduction, antennas and radiation, instrumentation and sensor technology, digital signal processing, and VLSI systems design. However, they mention that the solid state technology and VLSI courses may not be offered, and they are unsure if physics courses will help with comprehension of these more applied courses.
leright
communication systems, optics, lasers, and microscopy, condensed matter physics, advanced spectroscopy, adv. comp. apps for EEs, and solid state technology.

I am a double major in EE and physics. It is a 16 credit load, which is rather light compared to my last two semesters. Plus, no labs = win!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm...it seems solid state technology is not going to be offered. I may have to pick anothertehc elective, even though my field of choice was solid state.

Is network synthesis a good course for physics/EE double majors? How about another control systems course, like modern control systems or digital control systems?

Perhaps I should take an engineering analysis course, since it is similar to a mathematical methods for physics course.

Dude, that looks to be insane.

some other EE classes of interest to me (and I think some sort of interface with physics)

EEE 4343 - Electronic Noise Reduction
Electromagnetic compatibility design techniques, interference problems, grounding and other noise reduction techniques, passive components, shielding, intrinsic and active noise sources, digital circuit noise and radiation.

EEE 4433 - Antennas and Radiation
Review of Maxwells equations. Electromagnetic formulation for radiating systems. Antenna definitions and terminology. Patterns of various point source models. Point source arrays. Thin wire, aperature, reflector, and broadband antennas. Introduction to radio wave propagation, communication links and radar.

EEE 4523 - Modern Control Sys
State space realization of transfer functions, canonical forms, fundamental and state transition matrices, introduction to optimal control, quadratic performance indices, observers, Liapunov stability theory.

EEE 4533 - Digital Control Systems
Discrete time mathematics,Z-transforms, sampling rates, zero and first-order hold, time delays, system stability, continuous and discrete time systems, interfacing, computer control implementation concepts, state space realization. Lecture 3 hours.

EEE 4583 - Instrumentation & Sensor Tech
Analyze and design signal conditioning circuits for measuring temperature, force pressure, flow, fluid level. Interfacing techniques such as voltage to frequency. Converter, A to D, 4-20mH current loop and multiplexing. EEE 4653 - Dig Signal Processing
Sampling theory and sampling hardware. Z transform. Architecture of VLSI digital signal processors. Design and implementation of real time polynomial, Fir, IIR, and adaptive filters. Spectral analysis with FFT. Design of DSP application in communication and digital control.

EEE 4613 - Solid State Technology (may not be offered)
Semiconductor materials and characteristics. Energy band diagrams. Conduction principles. Diodes, transistors, FETS, MOSFETS, memory. Manufacturing techniques for ICs. Design of IC chip layouts. Future trends in microminaturization.

EEE 5114 - Engineering Analysis
Must have permission of Department. Theoretical analysis of typical engineering systems using linear equations, finite difference methods, perturbation, and asymptotic expansions. Discrete mathematics and probability theory including error correcting codes, interpolation, samples spaces, independence, and random variables. Lecture 4 hours.

EEE 5324 - Network Synthesis
Prerequisites: Graduate standing or departmental approval. Active and passive filter design, network functions, filters, normalization, magnitude approximation, phase approximation, time-domain considerations, sensitivity. Properties and synthesis of LC driving point functions, properties of transfer functions, synthesis of transfer functions. Single amplifier filters, op-amp parasitics, state-variable filters, universal active filter, bi-quadratic filters, active networks for direct realization, switched capacitor filters.

EEE 5624 - VLSI Systems Design
Analysis and design of MOS and bipolar integrated circuits. Fabrication processes, device characteristics, digital circuits for logic and memory functions. Semi-custom and full custom design application. Specific integrated-circuit design, design rules, and case studies. EEE 6704 - Eng Optimization
Linear optimization, constraints, slack variables, feasibility, basic solutions, the Simplex method, duality. Non-linear optimization, existence, feasible directions, unconstrained problems, convex and concave functions, basic descent methods, conjugate direction methods, quasi- Newton methods. Constrained minimization, Lagrange multipliers, Kuhn-Tucker conditions.

I REALLY way to take solid state tech and the VLSI course, but I don't know if and when they will be offered.

Do the physics courses help you a lot for comprehension of these more applied courses?

leright said:
some other EE classes of interest to me (and I think some sort of interface with physics)

EEE 4343 - Electronic Noise Reduction
Electromagnetic compatibility design techniques, interference problems, grounding and other noise reduction techniques, passive components, shielding, intrinsic and active noise sources, digital circuit noise and radiation.

EEE 4433 - Antennas and Radiation
Review of Maxwells equations. Electromagnetic formulation for radiating systems. Antenna definitions and terminology. Patterns of various point source models. Point source arrays. Thin wire, aperature, reflector, and broadband antennas. Introduction to radio wave propagation, communication links and radar.

EEE 4523 - Modern Control Sys
State space realization of transfer functions, canonical forms, fundamental and state transition matrices, introduction to optimal control, quadratic performance indices, observers, Liapunov stability theory.

EEE 4533 - Digital Control Systems
Discrete time mathematics,Z-transforms, sampling rates, zero and first-order hold, time delays, system stability, continuous and discrete time systems, interfacing, computer control implementation concepts, state space realization. Lecture 3 hours.

EEE 4583 - Instrumentation & Sensor Tech
Analyze and design signal conditioning circuits for measuring temperature, force pressure, flow, fluid level. Interfacing techniques such as voltage to frequency. Converter, A to D, 4-20mH current loop and multiplexing.

EEE 4653 - Dig Signal Processing
Sampling theory and sampling hardware. Z transform. Architecture of VLSI digital signal processors. Design and implementation of real time polynomial, Fir, IIR, and adaptive filters. Spectral analysis with FFT. Design of DSP application in communication and digital control.

EEE 4613 - Solid State Technology (may not be offered)
Semiconductor materials and characteristics. Energy band diagrams. Conduction principles. Diodes, transistors, FETS, MOSFETS, memory. Manufacturing techniques for ICs. Design of IC chip layouts. Future trends in microminaturization.

EEE 5114 - Engineering Analysis
Must have permission of Department. Theoretical analysis of typical engineering systems using linear equations, finite difference methods, perturbation, and asymptotic expansions. Discrete mathematics and probability theory including error correcting codes, interpolation, samples spaces, independence, and random variables. Lecture 4 hours.

EEE 5324 - Network Synthesis
Prerequisites: Graduate standing or departmental approval. Active and passive filter design, network functions, filters, normalization, magnitude approximation, phase approximation, time-domain considerations, sensitivity. Properties and synthesis of LC driving point functions, properties of transfer functions, synthesis of transfer functions. Single amplifier filters, op-amp parasitics, state-variable filters, universal active filter, bi-quadratic filters, active networks for direct realization, switched capacitor filters.

EEE 5624 - VLSI Systems Design
Analysis and design of MOS and bipolar integrated circuits. Fabrication processes, device characteristics, digital circuits for logic and memory functions. Semi-custom and full custom design application. Specific integrated-circuit design, design rules, and case studies.

EEE 6704 - Eng Optimization
Linear optimization, constraints, slack variables, feasibility, basic solutions, the Simplex method, duality. Non-linear optimization, existence, feasible directions, unconstrained problems, convex and concave functions, basic descent methods, conjugate direction methods, quasi- Newton methods. Constrained minimization, Lagrange multipliers, Kuhn-Tucker conditions.

I REALLY way to take solid state tech and the VLSI course, but I don't know if and when they will be offered.

:rofl: Throw in a thesis and you have yourself a phd.

quasar987 said:
Do the physics courses help you a lot for comprehension of these more applied courses?

somewhat. I really just like both physics and engineering, so I am taking up both curricula...it's as simple as that. However, the area I want to go into is near the interface of these two subjects (semiconductor/solid state technology and physics). When I go to grad school I will be going to grad school in physics.

Also, as an experimental physicist you need to be able to design things and my engineering background will help immensely in that. Physics does NOT train you to design...engineering does. A design/analysis problem might seem horrendously complicated to eve nthe best physicist, but it might seen like a joke to a well trained engineer, or even an engineering student. Having the physicist's physical insight and engineer's design ability is a good combination.

I always say, engineering is about solving complicated problems in a very simple way and physics is about solving simple problems in a very complicated way. This seems like a knock against physicists, but the truth is, engineers often times do not have as strong an understanding of the physical details of the problem. In order to deeply understand and elucidate the physics in a problem, the complicated problem solving technique is often necessary.

cyrusabdollahi said:

lol, wqell, I'm CERTAINLY not taking all of those classes. I meant that I'd pick one or two from that list.

I certainly wish I had a chance to take all of that stuff, but I don't. And when I go to grad school (Ph.D) I am going the physics route, so I will be taking classes like QM, QED, QFT, condensed matter, etc, and not engineering classes...however, I will likely take a solid state electronics class and a VLSI course and whatnot, since this is the field I am aiming at.

cyrusabdollahi said:

and I likely cannot take that 6000 level optimization course. lol. However, if I beg long enough they may stick me in there. :p

I could never take that many courses, my brain would explode. I know one guy who is Majoring in Math, Physics, and Chemistry. (I think he takes 21 credits every semester, and summer and winter courses), I hate his guts. The guy memorized everything in the organic chemistry book, and took PDE's two years ago. I really really hate him. (Ok, so I am a little jealous ).

cyrusabdollahi said:
I could never take that many courses, my brain would explode. I know one guy who is Majoring in Math, Physics, and Chemistry. I hate his guts. The guy memorized everything in the organic chemistry book, and took PDE's two years ago. I really really hate him. (Ok, so I am a little jealous ).

ha, I took two semesters of organic chemistry plus the lab. that class sucked so bad and is one of the reasons I switched out of chem. I also took two semesters of general chemistry and I hope to take another chem class for a minor (I will likely take polymer chem or physics chem 1).

Hats off to you leright that is an insane course load. hah i wouldn't be able to handle more than 4 of those courses at a time. Good news about not having a lab, 3-4 hour labs rip always ruined my day.

mr_coffee said:
Hats off to you leright that is an insane course load. hah i wouldn't be able to handle more than 4 of those courses at a time. Good news about not having a lab, 3-4 hour labs rip always ruined my day.

then again, I should probably cut back a little and get my GPA up (right now it's sitting at a 3.4). I could take smaller course loads and still finish in time, but there's a lot of stuff I want to take in addition to the required courses since I just happen to be interested in a lot of courses.

I figure I'm better off with a GPA of 3.5 and lots and lots of extra relevant coursework than a 3.7 and the bare minimum coursework. After thinking about it and discussing it with profs, there's not much difference between a 3.5 and a 3.7, and it is impossible to determine the more knowledgeable student or harder working student from that GPA difference alone. Lots of extra course work and slight lower GPA is better any day.

and yeah, not having any labs REALLY lightens the work load.

Last edited:
Your school doesn't offer solid state electronics every semester? It's one of the core things that a EE major needs to know!

I thought taking Bio II and Chem I in the same semester would be crazy. Compared to that, it's childs play!

Manchot said:
Your school doesn't offer solid state electronics every semester? It's one of the core things that a EE major needs to know!

no, but we get a decent amount of solid state in regular electronics and optoelectronics.

My 2 cents is Antentia and radation

9 classes and only 16 credits? What school is this?

mathlete said:
9 classes and only 16 credits? What school is this?

it's 6 classes, and two (advanced spec and computer apps) are only 2 credits.

well, I made some modifications. MY schedule is now communication systems, condensed matter physics, optics/lasers, international econ, and world masterpieces 2. 15 credits.

Since there aren't really any tech electives that are being offered this semester that are interesting to me I decided to knock down some of my humanities/social science requirements. Should be a decently easy schedule.

world masterpieces? :smile: Explain.

quasar987 said:
world masterpieces? :smile: Explain.

it's a required class.

But world masterpieces in what? Literature, music, art, computer program design, political creativity? :confused:

jtbell said:
But world masterpieces in what? Literature, music, art, computer program design, political creativity? :confused:

oh, it's a combination of literature and art.

It is a 16 credit load...

Please, could you tell me how many courses it is? It is confusing to me since you guys in America have something different.

I am in EE and I have 6 courses/semester, how this compares to 16 credits of yours?

budala said:
It is a 16 credit load...

Please, could you tell me how many courses it is? It is confusing to me since you guys in America have something different.

I am in EE and I have 6 courses/semester, how this compares to 16 credits of yours?

well, I made some adjustments to my schedule. It is now the following.

Advanced Spectroscopy (2 credits)
Research directed study (1 credit)
Condensed matter physics (3 credits)
Optics, lasers, and microscopy (3 credits)
Communication Systems (3 credits)
Solid State Technology (3 credits)

TOTAL: 15 credits. I consider it 6 classes, since the 1 credit directed study is about the same as a 3 credit lecture in terms of workload.

leright, OK now I understand it. Could you please tell me what year are you in? Thanks

budala said:
leright, OK now I understand it. Could you please tell me what year are you in? Thanks

I am a senior in electrical engineering and first semester junior in physics. I won't graduate until spring '08.

leright, thank you very much. I am in my 2nd year, 3rd semester EE and when I saw your courses I thought oh, oh how come such a big difference in courses but the same field. I guess I will have those courses next year.

budala said:
leright, thank you very much. I am in my 2nd year, 3rd semester EE and when I saw your courses I thought oh, oh how come such a big difference in courses but the same field. I guess I will have those courses next year.

Well, I am also a physics/EE double major...

And often different universities will call the same courses different names.

Also, EE students' courses will vary greatly depending on your concentration.

1. What is a typical course load for a double major in EE and Physics?

The typical course load for a double major in EE and Physics varies depending on the specific university and program requirements. However, on average, students can expect to take around 15-18 credit hours per semester, which equates to 5-6 courses. This may include a mix of core courses, electives, and labs in both EE and Physics.

2. Is it difficult to balance a double major in EE and Physics?

Balancing a double major in EE and Physics can be challenging, as both fields require a significant amount of time and effort. It is important to carefully plan your course schedule and manage your time effectively to ensure success in both majors. Seeking guidance from academic advisors and utilizing resources such as tutoring can also help with balancing the workload.

3. Can I graduate in four years with a double major in EE and Physics?

It is possible to graduate in four years with a double major in EE and Physics, but it may require careful planning and taking summer courses. Some universities offer accelerated programs or allow students to count certain courses towards both majors, which can help expedite the graduation process.

4. Are there any benefits to pursuing a double major in EE and Physics?

There are several benefits to pursuing a double major in EE and Physics. Firstly, it allows students to gain a broad range of knowledge and skills in two complementary fields. This can make them more competitive in the job market and open up a wider range of career opportunities. Additionally, having a strong foundation in both EE and Physics can be beneficial for those interested in pursuing graduate studies in fields such as engineering or physics.

5. Can I switch one of my majors to a minor if the workload becomes too much?

It is possible to switch one of your majors to a minor if the workload becomes too much, but it is important to check with your university's policies and requirements. Some universities may allow you to switch majors or declare a minor after a certain number of credits have been completed, while others may have stricter guidelines. It is important to consult with academic advisors and carefully consider the implications of switching majors or declaring a minor before making a decision.