Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply ?

In summary, a 20 year old junior Electrical Engineering student from the University of Akron is trying to design and simulate a linear regulated power supply that takes 120V RMS @ 60Hz and outputs 4.7V DC. The power supply has to be capable of supplying a load current up to 30mA with an output ripple of no more than .5V and it has to use a half wave rectifier. He has tried this in Schematics and Capture but is unable to get anything resembling a working circuit. Can anyone give him helpful advice, circuit schematics, or show him what he should be doing in PSpice?
sumx4182
Hello, I'm new here and I apologize for my first post being a design question. I'm a 20 year old junior Electrical Engineering student from the University of Akron.

I need some help with a design that I can't get working for the life of me!

If you know pSpice Schematics, or OrCAD Capture, then you might be able to help me out.

I have to design and simulate a linear regulated power supply that takes 120V RMS @ 60Hz and outputs 4.7V DC. It has to be capable of supplying a load current up to 30mA with an output ripple of no more than .5V and it has to use a half wave rectifier.

Now, my idea was to use an AC voltage source into a linear transformer (turns ration to be decided by experimentation), then run the transformer output into the half wave low-pass rectifier (which would just be a diode and a shunt capacitor), the voltage output of that would run into a voltage regulator or zener diode for smoothing.

I've tried this in Schematics and I was unable to get anything resembling a working circuit. I also tried it in Capture but I'm no good with Capture cause we've NEVER used it and alluva sudden, this teacher wants us to use it.

Can anyone give me any helpful advice, circuit schematics, or could even show me what I should be doing in pSpice? I've searched the internet for working schematics that I could easily input to pSpice but I was unable to find anything.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone with any insight?

I'm not sure what specific question you're trying to ask -- are you just unfamiliar with how to use PSpice?

- Warren

Have you tried Googling? I'm sure there are many, many web sites that address the very simple power supply you describe, including the transformer, rectifier, and smoothing (and there's more than one way to skin that cat, especially if your prof doesn't specify price limits on your components). I don't use any circuit modeling software, and can't help you with that aspect - I repair tube-type guitar amps as a hobby (once as a part-time business) and troubleshoot with schematics and a DMM, so I'm kinda stone-ages about EE. Good luck.

I've used Pspice Schematics for about a year or so, and have NO experience with OrCAD capture, but it doesn't seem to be working for me with this project. It's the first time we've ever had to do anything with Diodes in pSpice. So that's part of the frustration, but I'm also having difficulty selecting components and the values to get the particular output that is desired.

here is my thought at a design, but i have no idea if I'm thinking correctly or what to put as values for my components...it also wants values for the diodes and I don't quite know what should go there...and I'm also getting an error saying "Voltage source and/or inductor loop involving V_V1"...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,043

1. What is a Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply?

A Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply is a type of power supply that converts AC (alternating current) electrical energy into DC (direct current) electrical energy. It is commonly used to power electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and mobile phones.

2. How does a Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply work?

A Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply works by using a transformer to convert the high voltage AC input into a lower voltage AC output. This AC output is then rectified and filtered to produce a steady DC output that can be used by electronic devices.

3. What are the advantages of a Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply?

There are several advantages of using a Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply. Firstly, it allows for the conversion of high voltage AC power into lower voltage DC power, making it safer for electronic devices. Additionally, it provides a steady and reliable power supply, which is essential for the proper functioning of electronic devices.

4. What are the different types of Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supplies?

There are three main types of Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supplies: linear, switched-mode, and resonant. Linear power supplies are simple and reliable, but they are less efficient and generate more heat. Switched-mode power supplies are more efficient and generate less heat, but they are more complex. Resonant power supplies are a combination of both, offering high efficiency and minimal heat generation.

5. How do I choose the right Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply for my device?

To choose the right Hi Everyone AC-DC Power Supply, you need to consider the voltage and current requirements of your device. The power supply should have a voltage output that matches your device's voltage requirements, and the current output should be equal to or greater than your device's current draw. It is also essential to consider the power supply's efficiency, reliability, and safety features when making a selection.