How can something be the smallest

• Thread starter JoseCapablanca
  • Start date
In summary: You are correct that vacuum is not the same as nothing. Vacuum is a region where there is less matter than there is space.
JoseCapablanca
how can something be the "smallest"

While siting at work and doing nothing as usual a thought came to me...how can there be space in between the "smallest particles" when and if we do find them? Dosnt space need to be occupied by something no matter how small or rudimentary? What will we find, What will we find...when we find, the smallest particle. Let's say that there cannot be space in between these particles and that these particles make a cohesive sheet through out the universe, I wonder what would happen if we could knock one of these particles out of alignment what would be "behind" or what would take its place seeing that space cannot be occupied by nothing (if that's the case I don't know that it is).
well that's as far as I got until my phone rang. Help me on this, I bombed physics in college, but hold a Love for the abstract thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
if space cannot be empty... how do you explain a vacuum?

how can somethin be empty if it doesn't exist

Perhaps you shouldn't be thinking of particles as something exclusively as full... up against empty, but rather empty against the concept of full. In other words - Two concepts which cannot be separated by any logical mechanism whatsoever but which are nevertheless different -----like the front and back of a door. Zero and one fit this bill, and a plethora of these entities can share the geometry involved. Hence a point in space can be shared by several units. I.E. A point in space can be represented briefly by one unit while another and yet another is briefly representing that same point that is no longer represented by the unit that left.

If you break the mold - That of a physical universe in favor of a conceptual one that obeys physical laws. You could actually understand what I said above

Originally posted by JoseCapablanca
how can somethin be empty if it doesn't exist

Which are you claiming doesn't exist... vacuum or space?

aren't we getting a bit philosophical here?

Is space a perfect vacuum anyway?

Gary

Originally posted by Norman
if space cannot be empty... how do you explain a vacuum?

Because "vacuum" is not the same as "nothing".

In a space where there is no matter, there is still a field that gives it its metric properties (namely, the gravitational field). If you have no metric field, then your "space" has no extension and no time intervals on it.

if space-time is discrete then there must be a smallest piece of matter

Gary

1. How can something be the smallest?

The size of an object is determined by its dimensions, such as length, width, and height. In science, the smallest object is often defined as the one with the smallest dimensions or mass. This can vary depending on the context and field of study.

2. What is the smallest thing in the universe?

The smallest known object in the universe is the quark, which is a subatomic particle that makes up protons and neutrons. However, there may be smaller particles that have not yet been discovered by scientists.

3. How do scientists measure the size of small objects?

Scientists use various methods to measure the size of small objects, such as using microscopes or specialized instruments like electron microscopes. They may also use mathematical equations to calculate the size of objects based on their properties and interactions with other objects.

4. Can something be smaller than an atom?

Atoms are considered the smallest units of matter, but there are even smaller particles that make up atoms, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. However, it is currently believed that these particles cannot be divided any further.

5. How do scientists compare the sizes of different objects?

Scientists often use a unit of measurement called the nanometer (nm) to compare the sizes of different objects. This is equal to one billionth of a meter, and is commonly used to measure the size of molecules and atoms.