Calc Change in Internal Energy of Boiled Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the change in internal energy of 1 kg of water at 100 degrees C when it is fully boiled and converted to 1671 liters of steam at 100 degrees C. The pressure remains constant at 1 atm and the formulas used include Q=mLv and W=-P(Vsteam-Vwater). There is some debate and clarification on the conversion factors used, but the final calculated value for the change in internal energy is determined to be approximately 2.09E6 J.
cowgiljl
Seem to have ran into a brick wall with this problem
Determine the change in internal energy of 1 kg of water at 100 degrees C when it is fully boiled. Once boiled this volume of water changes to 1671 Liters of steam at 100 degrees C Assume the pressure remains constantat 1 atm

things i know
1 L =1E-3 m3
1atm = 1.013E5 N/m2
1 L = 1000 cm3 = 1E-3 m3
formulsa used
Q=mLv = 1kg*2.26E6 J/k Q=2260000 J
W = -P(Vsteam-Vwater) = (1.013E5)*[(1671000 - 1000)*.001
W = -169171E3 J

change in U = Q+W
2260000-169171000
U = -166911E3 J
If i did make a mistake i think it is where W is .
Thanks Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... I can't remember if your calc. of Q is
correct but as far as W goes, if memory serves right,
I believe the conversion should be 1 Atm*Liter = 101 Joule,
and then you get:
W = - P * dV = - 1 (Atm) * (1671-1) (Liter) =
= -1670 * 101 J = -168670 J

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by cowgiljl
W = -P(Vsteam-Vwater) = (1.013E5)*[(1671000 - 1000)*.001
W = -169171E3 J
In your equation, you have the volumes in cubic cm instead of liters. You should have:
W = -P(Vsteam-Vwater) = (1.013E5)*[(1671 - 1)*.001]

(This is consistent with drag's calculation.)

Also, 3 significant figures in your answer is plenty.

Last edited:
Now if my Q is right and I use drags and Doc Als conversion then U is equal to 2.09E6 J
is that correct

these were some of the homework questions i didn't finish

Thanks alot

Joe :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the change in internal energy of boiled water?

The formula for calculating the change in internal energy of boiled water is ΔU = mCΔT, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, m is the mass of water, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do I determine the mass of water in the calculation?

The mass of water can be determined by weighing the container holding the water before and after boiling, and taking the difference between the two weights. Alternatively, you can measure the volume of water using a graduated cylinder and then use the density of water (1 g/cm³) to calculate the mass.

3. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. It is approximately 4.18 J/g°C.

4. How does the change in temperature affect the change in internal energy of boiled water?

The change in temperature is directly proportional to the change in internal energy. This means that as the temperature of the water increases, the change in internal energy also increases.

5. Can I use this formula for other substances besides water?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the change in internal energy of boiled water. Other substances may have different specific heat capacities, so a different formula would be needed for those calculations.