How can I solve a third order nonlinear ODE for a boundary layer equation?

• Thread starter homeros_81
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about solving a boundary layer equation, with the problem also being found in Kundu's book 'Fluid Mechanics'. The equation looks like f'''+(1-f'^2)=0 and the individual has made some progress but is unsure how to solve for g. The solution is an elliptic integral and appears complex, but that is the correct solution.
homeros_81

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve a boundary layer equation but i don't really know how. The same problem can be found in Kundu's book 'Fluid Mechanics' there the answer is just written out, but he mentions that it is solved by closed form.

Homework Equations

The equation looks like this:
f'''+(1-f'^2)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how far i have got:
Multiplicate with f''
f''f'''+f''-f''f'^2=0
d/ds(f''^2/2)+d/ds(f')-d/ds(f'^3/3)=0
Integrate
f''^2/2+f'-f'^3/3=C
Let g=f'
g'=f''
g'^2+2g-2g^3/3=D
g'=sqrt(2g^3/3-2g+D)
dg/ds=sqrt(2g^3/3-2g+D)
Separable
1/sqrt(2g^3/3-2g+D)*dg=ds

Putting this into maple gives a really complex expression, there i have no idea how to solve for g.
Does someone have any idea how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an elliptic integral. It looks nasty, indeed, but that's what the solution is.

If y=f'(x), then

[tex] x+\bar{C}=\int \frac{dy}{\sqrt{C-2y-\frac{2}{3}y^{3}}} [/tex]

Daniel.

1. What is a third order nonlinear ODE?

A third order nonlinear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that involves the derivatives of a function up to the third order, and the function itself. Nonlinear means that the equation is not linear in the dependent variable and its derivatives, which results in a more complex behavior compared to linear ODEs.

2. What are some examples of third order nonlinear ODEs?

Some examples of third order nonlinear ODEs include the Van der Pol oscillator, the Duffing oscillator, and the Lotka-Volterra equation. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and biology to model nonlinear systems and phenomena.

3. How do you solve a third order nonlinear ODE?

Solving a third order nonlinear ODE can be challenging and often requires numerical methods. One approach is to use the Runge-Kutta method, which is a numerical method for solving differential equations. Another method is to use power series solutions, which involves expanding the solution as an infinite series and solving for the coefficients.

4. What is the significance of third order nonlinear ODEs?

Third order nonlinear ODEs have significant importance in various fields of science and engineering as they can accurately model complex systems and phenomena. They are also used in the study of chaos theory and nonlinear dynamics, which have applications in weather forecasting, population dynamics, and other fields.

5. Can third order nonlinear ODEs have analytical solutions?

In general, third order nonlinear ODEs do not have analytical solutions, which means they cannot be solved using basic algebraic operations. However, some special cases of third order nonlinear ODEs may have analytical solutions, but these are not as common. Therefore, numerical methods are often used to approximate the solutions of these equations.