Simulating heat transfer as a function of time between two bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses a program being written to simulate heat transfer between two cubes with different volumes, heat capacities, and thermal resistances. Newton's law of cooling is mentioned as a reference for an object cooling in a fixed environment, but the questions focus on how this applies to two bodies with different thermal resistances and if there is anything separating the objects. The conversation then shifts to a specific scenario with two different materials and their thermal conductivities, and a question about the difference in temperatures at the contact point if the positions of the insulators are exchanged.
Noone1982
This is not homework, so I think this is the right forum. I am trying to write a program that simulates the heat transfer between, say two cubes of different volumes, heat capacities and thermal resistances.

I know Newton's law of cooling just works dandy for say an object cooling in a fixed enviroment. My questions include: how does this extend to two bodies exchanging heat between boundaries of different thermal resistances?

Science news on Phys.org
Are the objects separated i.e. is there an air or vacuum layer between them?

Claude.

Well since u going to write a program about it i will assume there's nothing in betweent the bodies and they are directly connected, so the driving force is conduction heat transfer. Assuming that A and B have thermal conductivity of ka and kb respectively. Ta and Tb are wall temperatures at each extremity. Total heat flow Q= (Tb-Ta)/(Ra+Rb)
Ra= Thickness of transport area/(ka*Cross sectional area).
Check the pic

Attachments

• conduction.JPG
    conduction.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 631
diffferent temperature

2 different but equally thick materials with thermal conductivities 0.5 W / mK and 3 W / mK are positioned one after another. the outer temperature on the side of the better insulator is 2ºC and 25ºC on the outside of the sencond insulator. what is the difference in temperatures at the contact between two materials if we exchange the positions of the insulators?
can u help me in this question?

Patitu, you will probably have better luck if you post on the homework help forums.

Claude.

1. How is heat transfer simulated between two bodies?

Heat transfer between two bodies is simulated using mathematical models and equations that take into account factors such as temperature difference, thermal conductivity, and surface area. These models are typically solved using numerical methods.

2. What is the purpose of simulating heat transfer between two bodies?

The purpose of simulating heat transfer is to better understand how heat is transferred between two bodies, and to predict and control the temperature changes over time. This is important in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and thermodynamics.

3. What factors affect heat transfer between two bodies?

Factors that affect heat transfer between two bodies include the temperature difference between the bodies, the thermal conductivity of the materials, the surface area of contact, and the distance between the bodies.

4. How does time affect heat transfer between two bodies?

Time plays a crucial role in heat transfer between two bodies. As time passes, the temperature difference between the bodies decreases until they reach thermal equilibrium. The rate of heat transfer also depends on the duration of time and the properties of the materials involved.

5. Can heat transfer between two bodies be reversed?

Yes, heat transfer between two bodies can be reversed by changing the temperature difference between the bodies or by using external means such as a heat pump. However, this process requires energy to be input into the system.